The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I agree with the logic, but I am more so wondering if that's a marketing priority. It seems like Canon likes to give each and every model its time in the lime light before they introduce something new, and the 1DX III is likely the priority for the olympics.

On the other hand, part of me wonders if the timing of projected release is telling here. The 1DX II preceded the 5D IV by a few months in 2016, meaning that in following the same schedule we should then expect a 5D V some time in 2020 following the 1DX III. However, now we're hearing that the high resolution body will come next, potentially in the time frame we would otherwise expect a 5D V. This makes me wonder if the high resolution R is the true spiritual successor to the 5D IV, and the EOS R is intended to be a down-market version of the 5D for the "do everything pretty well" niche. If the 5D V release time slot is potentially occupied by this resolution-focused R body, when or will we see a 5D V? Interesting times.

The EOS R Pro model from everything we have been hearing will be the successor to the 5DS/R. Not the 5D4. The 5D3/4 line are the wedding professional's workhorse and they don't want a super high res model as it is more trouble/data than they want/need. The 5DS/R bodies were specialty cameras the EOS R Pro would be most apt to replace. There will still be a 5D5 DSLR body as there is WAY too much glass out there already that won't be replaced anytime soon. The EOS R was meant to be a sidewise to help transition to MILC by using the same 5D4 sensor.

MILC bodies don't offer any massive "upgrade" to DSLR for full time pros. They just don't. This will be a slow transition by Canon that will last the better part of a decade.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The EOS R Pro model from everything we have been hearing will be the successor to the 5DS/R. Not the 5D4. The 5D3/4 line are the wedding professional's workhorse and they don't want a super high res model as it is more trouble/data than they want/need. The 5DS/R bodies were specialty cameras the EOS R Pro would be most apt to replace. There will still be a 5D5 DSLR body as there is WAY too much glass out there already that won't be replaced anytime soon. The EOS R was meant to be a sidewise to help transition to MILC by using the same 5D4 sensor.

MILC bodies don't offer any massive "upgrade" to DSLR for full time pros. They just don't. This will be a slow transition by Canon that will last the better part of a decade.
At the moment I am using 2 1DX MkII’s, I can see me transitioning to 1 1DX MkIII and 1 hi resolution R as a complimentary pairing. My 11-24 and TS-E17 will both take on new leases of life when I can easily filter them with CPL’s and ND’s of an affordable and transportable size.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon is DOOOOOOOMED !!!!! I tell you! Doooooooooooooooomed !!!!!!!!!!!!

The CRUEL NATURE of this is something I cannot speak about as of yet.... but I can tell that a NEW company now has 100 reasons compared to Canon's 93! Guess what Canon! Sometimes the 1000 pound Gorilla SMACKS EVERYONE and TRULY -- TRULY --- demonstrates with monstrous proof that he IS King of the Beasts!

Oooooh BOOOY !!!!! OUCH! This is gonna hurt! You're going to be KILLED on still image and video quality, feature set, price AND QUALITY OF BOTH body and lenses! And on the lenses, they will be EXCEEDING Zeiss Quality at in-between Xeen and Sigma Prices! And wait until you see the "Mobile Devices!"

YOU'RE DEAD IN THE WATER !!!

Off your meds I see.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
It's always interesting to hear what Canon should do from people who have never owned and who never will own a 1 series camera.

I have a friend who only used 5D/6D's and used a 1DX for an event. He always thought it was an overkill and told me I was wasting my money. Now he's hooked and told me he can see why I spent all that money and why I rave about it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
No there’s a pretty good list of incremental improvements that should be made, personally I'd like:-
  1. 30MP
  2. Illuminated buttons
  3. Full touch screen
  4. Tilt/swivel screen
  5. Built in intavalometer
  6. Built in wireless
  7. 240fps 1080
  8. Same Marginally higher stills fps
  9. C-Log
  10. .CR3
  11. Much fuller wireless control
  12. Uncropped 4k
  13. Built in RT flash controller
  14. Dual pixel sub image RAW option
  15. Dual CFast

Of course preferences differ. I would put autofocus improvements at the top of my personal list. In fact, mine is fairly short:

1. Better autofocus, including improved eye/face tracking
  2. Silent mode that isn't a joke
  3. Sensor that isn't a dust magnet
  4. 28-34 MP
  5. Full touch screen
  6. Built in wireless/with more intuitive interface
  7. Slightly higher fps
  8. Dual CFast (I'd actually like to see the 7D and 5D go to CFast as well and drop CF)

Not expecting all of this. I'd be happy with 50-60%.

I don't see a mirrorless replacing the 1D series in the foreseeable future, if ever. Canon will continue the 1D series as long as it sells and users of the 1D series being the most conservative buyers out there means I expect it to outlive me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I have a friend who only used 5D/6D's and used a 1DX for an event. He always thought it was an overkill and told me I was wasting my money. Now he's hooked and told me he can see why I spent all that money and why I rave about it.
I don't have one myself, but from my limited time with one I can safely say that it feels better in my hands than any other camera that I have ever used, and triple that for portrait mode!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

I don't disagree, but I was really just observing that the timing seems off based on the last couple releases of the 1D and 5D series. I'm not suggesting what could or should replace a 5D series body, nor what people want or need. The 1DX ii was released in Feb of 2016, and the 5D IV followed in August of 2016. The 1DX was released in March of 2012, and the 5D III was also released in March 2012. Now we're hearing that the 1DX iii will be released in close proximity to a high-resolution body, with no mention of a 5D V. Maybe it's too early to hear more about a 5D V, but if this schedule was to be kept and the rumour to be true, then we'd expect a 1DXIII, 5DV, and a high resolution R body to be released in close proximity.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
If they plan on releasing a mirrorless pro body (which I take to mean a 1d equivalent) AFTER the 1dx3, then we might actually expect the 70+mp 5ds-equivalent out sooner.
I think this is the right interpretation - the 70mp recent rumour probably relates to the 5DS equivalent, with a 'pro' mirrorless body waiting until they can do something more with mirrorless fps etc. To me the interesting thing about a new 1DX model (with by definition a new sensor), is that there will be an 'old' 1DX sensor (fully amortised) available for potential re-use in an EOS R series body.

Upvote 0
This will probably be a preorder for me...again. I expect modest increases in MP, IQ and possibly FPS. Like some others have said, a truly silent mode would be great, even if its using live view. And if there is a 70+MP R camera released, I'll probably swap out my 5DSR since I'll still be able to use all my EF L glass.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I don't have one myself, but from my limited time with one I can safely say that it feels better in my hands than any other camera that I have ever used, and triple that for portrait mode!

Minus holding it in your hands all day long and then your hand starts to ache from the size and weight lol...

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
  1. Better autofocus, including improved eye/face tracking
  2. Silent mode that isn't a joke
  3. Sensor that isn't a dust magnet
  4. 28-34 MP
  5. Full touch screen
  6. Built in wireless/with more intuitive interface
  7. Slightly higher fps
  8. Dual CFast (I'd actually like to see the 7D and 5D go to CFast as well and drop CF)

I would agree with better stills AF. Full touch screen would be nice. Better silent mode would be good. Hopefully they could make it so the sensor isn't a magnet, but it seems like they've had that problem for a while. 30MP is great. I'm fine with the FPS now. Video is great as it is. Dual CFast would be nice. As both of you mention, some kind of built in wireless would be appreciated. The IQ is already great. I suppose .CR3 could be good.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
No there’s a pretty good list of incremental improvements that should be made, personally I'd like:-
  1. 30MP
  2. Illuminated buttons
  3. Full touch screen
  4. Tilt/swivel screen
  5. Built in intavalometer
  6. Built in wireless
  7. 240fps 1080
  8. Same stills fps
  9. C-Log
  10. .CR3
  11. Much fuller wireless control
  12. Uncropped 4k
  13. Built in RT flash controller
  14. Dual pixel sub image RAW option
  15. Dual CFast
There's definitely room for stronger video features, since the 1D-X is priced at a point that doesnt hurt their Cine line. C-log, 10-bit recording...still leaves their Cinema RAW to distinguish their Cine cameras. Im honestly beginning to believe Canon cant do uncropped full-frame 4k in a DSLR body, but the 1DX would make sense if they can.

Tilt/swivel screen is something I cant ever see them doing if the 5D didnt go that way

Upvote 0
Or this might be on the meds!

---

Technically, I AM MY OWN MEDICINE! I'm your cringe-worthy rumour gravy train steaming in from across the pond with some INSIDE DOPE on FAAAANTASTIC AV and mobile gear coming soon from some of the BIGGEST and BADDEST companies out there! Stuff with technical specs, prices and SHEER IMAGE QUALITY unmatched by anyone else! ..... AND ..... it's right here .... just around the corner .... !!!!! AND YOU TOO CAN BUY IT ALL !!!! -- CAN YOU FEEL THE THUNDER ????

Upvote 0
1dx is not really news here, only new thing is that Canon decided for sure to create unsellable glass. Like why on earth we have R pro glass with no pro body for SO LONG ! That doesnt make any kind of sense. Yes glass looks nice but what should we do with that. Look at it online and think : maybe one day someone will realize at canon that they actually have to work on a pro body ?!?
I very much agree with you and its why I believe a pro body (5dmkIV) is coming far sooner than most people are anticipating. I'm guessing fall at the latest. It doesn't make sense otherwise. The rumor road map has been very inaccurate lately until shortly before the actual introduction of new bodies. Its also a key moneymaker for them in a key pro segment and there have been a lot of Sony defections.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
With the EOS system being replaced by R system, I can't imagine they will sell many of these. And even if there is "no word as to whether or not this would be the last of the line" I am pretty sure it will be.
You are going to be SO dissapointed when Canon continues it's DSLR linage....the R is apart of the existing EOS system...sitting alongside the DSLR range.

Upvote 0