The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

Question for you production/engineer types, how hard or expensive is it develop two similar (mirrorless and DSLR) cameras at the same time?
The shutter mechanism is different, although part of it is the same. The sensors are largely the same and currently shared across both formats. In fact, the next generation sensor is kind of what's slowing down the DSLR range replacements. It's clear that the Eos R and RP are using current sensor designs...so they are waiting to release the new sensor designs with new DSLR cameras and then port those over to the Eos RII and Eos RpII in the next refresh cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
“Pro” is a marketing term.....

A professional uses the appropriate camera for the job and has to also bring affordability into the equation. The most expensive camera and lens is not always the best for the job.... just look at the number of GoPro cameras in professional motor Sports! Sometimes tiny is everything. Sometimes the camera is disposable. Sometimes (pro sports) there is no substitute for a 1DX2 and a 600F4, but you never see a wedding shot with that combo.

The right tool for the job!

( speaking of tools, any tools sold as “pro” are usually of moderate to low quality, it’s a label slapped on my the marketing people)

Yes I agree, a few years back it was reveled that the most popular professional DSLR of all time was a Canon 5DmkII. Which is partly why it's replacement was built as a mini 1Dx (same AF system, dual cards and far better build).

In fact my entire professional shooting career has been using a pair of 5D series cameras.

The last royal wedding here in the Uk...a 1Dx and a 600mm f4 was used...the photos of the Bride entering and the couple leaving the Cathedral were shot using this combo....so it does happen...just not that often.

Upvote 0
1dx is not really news here, only new thing is that Canon decided for sure to create unsellable glass. Like why on earth we have R pro glass with no pro body for SO LONG ! That doesnt make any kind of sense. Yes glass looks nice but what should we do with that. Look at it online and think : maybe one day someone will realize at canon that they actually have to work on a pro body ?!?

Nikon did the same thing. However, they don't even have pro glass. If we're talking dual card slots, then neither of them are pro. If we're talking photography, both are on the same level. Nikon has better video but some people don't care about that. Pro video is clearly not what Canon was aiming for in the R.

I think Canon and Nikon should just wake up and hire YOU as their CEO. You will show them how it's done! If both these companies decided to enter mirrorless without a pro body, they both must be wrong, and you are better and should run both these companies simultaneously, because you are clearly more qualified.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Oh dear just another mild bump like the 1DXII itself it seems. Will be left for dead by D6 and A9 II if this is the case. So sad to see Canon just limp along barely doing the minimum to survive.

1DXII was woeful update if you don't care about 4K. 1DXIII needs to be a bigger update than the change form 1D4 to 1DX to be viable.
Do you believe real pros base their buying decision on spec-sheets?:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
---

Technically, I AM MY OWN MEDICINE! I'm your cringe-worthy rumour gravy train steaming in from across the pond with some INSIDE DOPE on FAAAANTASTIC AV and mobile gear coming soon from some of the BIGGEST and BADDEST companies out there! Stuff with technical specs, prices and SHEER IMAGE QUALITY unmatched by anyone else! ..... AND ..... it's right here .... just around the corner .... !!!!! AND YOU TOO CAN BUY IT ALL !!!! -- CAN YOU FEEL THE THUNDER ????
Give the man some Prozac, quick!

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
---

Technically, I AM MY OWN MEDICINE! I'm your cringe-worthy rumour gravy train steaming in from across the pond with some INSIDE DOPE on FAAAANTASTIC AV and mobile gear coming soon from some of the BIGGEST and BADDEST companies out there! Stuff with technical specs, prices and SHEER IMAGE QUALITY unmatched by anyone else! ..... AND ..... it's right here .... just around the corner .... !!!!! AND YOU TOO CAN BUY IT ALL !!!! -- CAN YOU FEEL THE THUNDER ????
Wtf?

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Like why on earth we have R pro glass with no pro body for SO LONG ! That doesnt make any kind of sense.

If Canon releases soon the high megapixel camera it will be some sort of pro body to take advantage of those lenses - just not the 1Dx type, but the 1Dx too is not a camera for every pro task - i.e. studio photography, etc.

I'm quite sure Canon is waiting to resolve any teething issues of the new RF system before fully aiming it at professionals working in time-demanding environments like news/sport photography and the like where extreme reliability is a must. Put in many more hands -i ncluding professionals ones - so new designs and production pipeline can be fully validated and reliability tested.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...there have been a lot of Sony defections.
You’re not the first to claim this, and you won’t be the last. But until Canon actually loses market share, which they haven’t so far, such claims will remain baseless.

This concludes the first reality-slap of the day.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
With the EOS system being replaced by R system, I can't imagine they will sell many of these. And even if there is "no word as to whether or not this would be the last of the line" I am pretty sure it will be.

The R system is also an EOS system. I think you meant EF being replaced by R. Nevertheless, where did you get that Idea? EF bodies and glass is not going anywhere anytime soon.

As much as I love my Sony a9, I will grab the 1D X Mk III as soon as it hits the streets. As another poster said, the X bodies are a business expense and a profit center. We either write off the cost or get subsidized by Canon. The D X market is completely different than other bodies.

Upvote 0
A body like this will reduce to actual street price after the Olympics is done in August 2020. Before that you pay a premium.
A new 1dxmkii still goes for 5500 a new one, the mkiii will not see a price reduction till probably its third year of its cycle. Once you have gone to the 1D series it’s hard to come back from. The mkiii will have to be pretty good to get people to upgrade from the mkii.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
The mkiii will have to be pretty good to get people to upgrade from the mkii.

'People' perhaps, but it'll be simple for commercial outfits who will have depreciated their 1DX2s. When you're relying on depreciation to reduce income tax libaility then it makes sense to switch-up and restart the cycle.

Personally I think the 1DX3 will have a resolution bump, dual CFast and perhaps an AF push to all-cross-points, but little else. Certainly no swivel screens or illuminated buttons that aren't compatible with 3 - 5 years of hard daily use.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Canon will stop updating the 1DX series when people stop buying them. Reliability and familiarity are foundations you can build a business on and until other manufacturers are perceived to have the same reliability and familiarity in the professional user base, I suspect the 1DX II will continue to be a staple in the industry.

My biggest question in all of this is if all the other manufacturers continue to have more rapid replacement cycles than Canon, the opportunity for them to catch up in areas that matter would be greater. I wonder if Canon will stick to the 4-5 year cycle if competitors stick with 2-3 for the long haul.

If you get it right the first time, like Canon does especially with the 1 series you don't need to go on a 2-3 year cycle as the camera is just that far ahead and good. Canon has competitors who toss all kinds of bells and whistles and only work half ass and thus need to be constantly upgraded to correct all the mistakes of rushing a half baked camera out in the pro level. Nikon has a similar philosophy as Canon it seems as well. Do it right the first time so you don't have to keep fixing the camera with new itterations.
I like this philosophy as I know I have a camera that is not obsolete in a couple of years.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
This is a specific market and they will sell similar numbers. 1DX owners don’t see a price, they see profit. It’s a necessary expense, not an investment or luxury item. If my year continues they way it has been, I’ll be upgrading when it lands without thought.
yup. Theres 1 sport/wildlife photog of every 1000 photogs total.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Minus holding it in your hands all day long and then your hand starts to ache from the size and weight lol...

Its really not bad. You get used to it quick. Plus the greater balance with larger glass offsets a lot of the uneven weight distribution when putting lenses like the 70-200 on smaller bodies like the 5

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Depends on the definition of what 'Pro' means. If it means dual cards, stabilisation and a joystick, it means that in the current generation of mirrorless cameras, right now the 'border' has been laid out at the EOS R and any models (probably two of them) placed above it can have these things.
There is a good chance that the EOS R Mark II will have these things, crossing that border next time, but that's a long way.

It used to be the same with other things in the old days, for the full-frame you had to get the 1Ds, after that came the 5D which made that more accessible, then the 6D, now the EOS RP, same with the 4k with the 1DC, then the 1DXII then the 5DIV, etc.

It would be interesting to see how many real pros us 4K in the 1DX MII. Or how many even bother with using it for video at all.
I suspect that if one is a pro shooting video spending that kind of money you will get a dedicated pro level video camera.
As I watch sports and news it appears that stills dominate the pro market rather than make short video clips.
I would say a large majority of those using the 1DX MII use it for stills only and likely would have a hard time shooting a video.

Upvote 0