The Galapagos Islands

Galapagos
Took this last summer in the Galapagos Islands mostly with my 5D Mk III, with a 24-105mm and a 300mm F4 with a 2X teleconvertor, the super slow motion footages were taken with a Sony FS700 with the Canon 300mm F4 and the 2X teleconvertor too. My 24-105mm lens died after I left the Galapagos islands, probably due to the humidity and moisture though it's working fine now after it got repaired by Canon. 8)

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I would caution you to be very careful in Guayaquil as it is a high crime area, and a great place to loose your kit. You likely will have a stopover here. If you do have a day here, consider going on the malacon. I posted some information on a blog that I made: http://sekecuador.blogspot.com/

My lady had her credit card info stolen by the hotel so I would advise bringing more than one credit card and let the company know that you are going away.

Enjoy.

sek

icassell said:
Good job! I'm going in early November and your video has me psyched! Any tips appreciated!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the kind comments, some of you may be interested in another video I took at the Galapagos, called 'Flight'; you should see the link to it at the end of the 'Galapagos' video, with a thumbnail of a pelican taking off. I don't think it'll be appropriate to post the link here as it was shot entirely with a Sony FS700 at 480 fps, although I did use it with a Canon 300mm F4 + 2X Teleconverter.

I am mostly a still photographer but when you get to go to places like the Galapagos Islands with such amazing creatures, it's more interesting to take videos I think. Most cameras nowadays can capture HD and the 5D Mk lll is particularly great in doing capturing in HD, the only downside is that it can only do up to 60 fps. If you're going to take videos with a DSLR, I recommend you get some kind of LCD view finder which magnifies as it'll be hard to do manual focusing with the existing LCD screen; and some kind of mini movie rig or a monopod as you'd have to move your camera around very quickly.

If you are into snorkeling and diving you'll be in for a treat as there are some amazing creatures under water too. The first time I got into the sea there I found myself surrounded by hundreds of sharks, literally, and there was a 15ft+ hammer head shark right under me (which I thought was a submarine at first), it was both super scary and exciting! Pity that I didn't have any good underwater photography equipment, otherwise I would have gotten myself some great memorabilia.

I didn't go to Guayaquil, the only other places I went to in Ecuador was Quito, beautiful city with beautiful churches and the Santa Lucia Cloud Forest, which is a photographer's heaven, highly recommended.

Upvote 0