The Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro for the Canon RF mount is now available

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
When is canon going to allow other companies to make RF mount lenses with autofocus? [..]

Canon has no real power to forbid other companies from doing that, so talking about 'allowing' is disingenuous. The EF-RF converter seems to be completely passive, so using the EF protocol should just work.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I have this lens for the EF mount, and love it. It has pretty much completely replaced the MP-E for me, and also my 100L.

If Canon produced a 100L with 2x (better yet 2.5x) it would be incredible. I rarely find a need to go much beyond 2x in the field, but 1x is not enough magnification for most subjects. Having something in a fixed length that can go from infinity to 2x is really a macro shooter’s dream.

The EF version has electronic aperture control, the RF version doesn't :( Sadly the EF version doesn't work properly on RF mount cameras, it forces them into low-MP crop mode. So, like you, I hope Canon releases a macro lens that can do infinity to 2.5x or a new MP-E which does 0.5-2.5x.

Upvote 0

Drainpipe

It's all about the little things.
Aug 30, 2014
www.instagram.com
The EF version has electronic aperture control, the RF version doesn't :( Sadly the EF version doesn't work properly on RF mount cameras, it forces them into low-MP crop mode. So, like you, I hope Canon releases a macro lens that can do infinity to 2.5x or a new MP-E which does 0.5-2.5x.

Wow, that is one big disadvantage. That was the primary reason I went with the Laowa was the automatic aperture control and native 2x. Here’s to hoping Canon releases something similar!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

Update from Fred Miranda Forum: Laowa seems to have fixed the crop-mode issue in newer batches and offers replacement chips for older batches.

Upvote 0

CanonOregon

Having fun with what I have to shoot with now.
Sep 12, 2012
Oregon
I cant think of any other reason than race...?

People from the US cant play the holier than thou card during this whole thing. China are bad and have done bad things, so have the US. So has much of Europe throughout the years too. No country is perfect.

Laowa hasnt done wrong by anyone and punishing them purely based on being in a country you dont like is hardly fair.
I would like to know more about the labor force' 'slaves' or free to work wherever they want?
Holier than thou? Life in China compared to life in the US? What they're doing to Hong Kong right now? There efforts to wipe out the Uighur people and their culture? And a thousand other reasons not to deal with them. Yes, it's sad the people suffer too- wish they could rise up and rebel but that only happens in the States, there you never hear about them again.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's more than a little disingenuous of people to knock a lens company for being in China when literally half the products in their homes were made there. Just flip your keyboards over and look at where they were made. People have known that there were slave labor camps at some places in China for decades. Me thinks many complaining about Laowa being in China were never going to buy the product in the first place, no matter where it is from. Saying, "I'll never buy anything from China again!" just isn't going to happen. It's a futile statement. People have no idea where the thousands of parts in their electronics or other products are sourced from. No doubt, Canon also sources parts from China. Gonna give up your cameras and lenses because they might have parts from China? Never gonna buy another flat screen television? Never a new computer? What about that much needed prescription drug you take? This is all silliness. In your zeal you could very well be hurting companies that are doing the right thing, and hurting people who are just trying to scratch out a living. If anyone here has proof that Laowa is using slave labor, then fine. I wouldn't buy THAT product. Otherwise, boycotting literally everything from China is nothing more than political or racist stupidity and ignorance that's gained traction only due to the politicization of a virus. The vast population of China has benefited immensely from China's relaxing of hard line communist thought to participate in the world economy. We've ALL benefited. Isolating China does nothing more than hurt the very people you claim need your help. Maybe it makes you feel good to say it, but we all know it's B.S. Self righteous verbal posturing with absolutely no intent at actually following through. It's sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0