The Leica M9 Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some questions about the M9

I thought that was a really interesting article, but as somebody who's never used a Leica it left me with a question in my mind:

Am I right in thinking that you focus the camera by judging the distance and setting the focus ring to whatever number you judged the distance to be?

If that's the case, how can you get a portrait sharp on the eyes when using these very fast prime lenses? It seems a shame there is no live view function as that would allow some kind of through the lens feedback at least.

I can understand that you might get quite good at this with practice, but when the depth of field is just a few mm surely there is no chance?

Upvote 0
studio1972 said:
I thought that was a really interesting article, but as somebody who's never used a Leica it left me with a question in my mind:

Am I right in thinking that you focus the camera by judging the distance and setting the focus ring to whatever number you judged the distance to be?

If that's the case, how can you get a portrait sharp on the eyes when using these very fast prime lenses? It seems a shame there is no live view function as that would allow some kind of through the lens feedback at least.

I can understand that you might get quite good at this with practice, but when the depth of field is just a few mm surely there is no chance?
[/quoteThe guessing the distance part is only related to street photography where you don't want people to notice that you're taking pictures. In the other cases you look throug the rangefinder/viewfinder window and turn the focus ring until the pictures match exactly = picture is sharp

Upvote 0
D

dchan316

Great review! Recently, I dug out my old Minolta X-370 with a 50/1.7 lens, went on ebay and bought a 135/3.5 and a 28/2.8 for 10 and 20 dollars, respectively, put in a roll of Portra 160, and started shooting. I gotta say, I loved the much smaller size (compared to my 2.8 autofocus zooms), and manual focusing primes is quite fun! I'm able to slip it in a small bag and take it anywhere, and shoot more discreetly.

This got me to giving the Leica M8 (used) a serious look, as its price is more realistic for me. Throw in some quite affordable Voigtlanders, and I'm very tempted. Your review put to rest some doubts or questions I may have had, so as soon as I'm able to, I'm gonna try out a Leica! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi ,

Great article!! Thanks. Am really looking for a full sensor canon EVIL with m- mount adaptor. For me this would be ideal. No huge payment for a M-9 body that will be outmoded by an improved model in the relative hear future (relative to the length of time I'd be owning the Leica or Zeiss or Voitlander lenses). I love the comments about simplicity and ease of transport of gear.

Question:
one person referred to the need to take off glasses while looking into the viewfinder of the M-9. I am in that category. My diopter is 2.5 right now. Pardon my ignorance of the rangefinders but...... if I were to be wearing the correct diopter glasses (or glasses that are over magnified like a diopter 3.0 to be used only when using the camera), wouldn't this auto correct the focusing problem allowing me to focus accurately using the rangefinder???

thanks to anyone with experience along these lines.

dj

Upvote 0
M

macfly

I enjoyed your review and pix, and was most interested to hear that the image quality equal of the 1Ds lll. I didn't realize that Leica had got to be such a great digi-body. Is there any way you'd do a couple frames out the window of the two units side by side, so we could see the same picture of both units. If it really can equal or better the EOS I'd be very inclined to get one for travel and fun.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
dj said:
Hi ,

Great article!! Thanks. Am really looking for a full sensor canon EVIL with m- mount adaptor. For me this would be ideal. No huge payment for a M-9 body that will be outmoded by an improved model in the relative hear future (relative to the length of time I'd be owning the Leica or Zeiss or Voitlander lenses). I love the comments about simplicity and ease of transport of gear.

Question:
one person referred to the need to take off glasses while looking into the viewfinder of the M-9. I am in that category. My diopter is 2.5 right now. Pardon my ignorance of the rangefinders but...... if I were to be wearing the correct diopter glasses (or glasses that are over magnified like a diopter 3.0 to be used only when using the camera), wouldn't this auto correct the focusing problem allowing me to focus accurately using the rangefinder???

thanks to anyone with experience along these lines.

dj
I have been using a M4 for more than 40 years. I am a glasses wearer. I have never have any problem using the view finder or the range finder. It does not have the same amount of eye releive as the modern DSLR. you should try it out yourself.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.