The Mess That is the Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Rumor Mill

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It hasn’t been since the release of the EOS 5D Mark III that we have seen this many emails and bits of information flood our inbox, and it’s once again, extremely difficult to figure out what is real.
We’re going to backtrack/reset what we think is happening, based on information from trusted sources. For the record, we’re backtracking on things we’ve posted in recent weeks. I don’t like it, but it happens.
We do know that at least one (and likely two) mirrorless cameras have hit certain certification agencies, thanks to Nokishita for always finding those. We do not remember a single time that a certified product didn’t reach market, so rest assured, a full frame mirrorless camera is coming and according to the certification information, it’ll be a full frame 30.4mp camera.
The elephant in the room is when are these...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 378875

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they've field tested something like a 5D-iv with an EVF and based on feedback have realised that this is too little too late.

Anyone itching to buy a FF Mirrorless would compare such an offering Sony's range and, pretty much regardless of price or mount, would find it very difficult not to go for the Sony ...

... so have gone back to the drawing board to come up with a camera which is actually competitive on features.

This could be the best piece of news for some time ... we might actually get a decent camera out of Canon yet !

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010

Anyone itching to buy a FF Mirrorless would compare such an offering Sony's range and, pretty much regardless of price or mount, would find it very difficult not to go for the Sony ...
That's a huge statement you've made with no evidence or plausible argument.

a camera which is actually competitive on features.
And what are those?

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2016
rjbray01 said:
I

I've been watching and waiting for Sony to get modern technology into their Alphas--like touch screens, batteries that last, articulating LCDs, etc--for so long now, that waiting to see what Canon comes up with is no big deal. Canon will have to do something rather soon, but I expect them to at least have all of those things, while Sony may not until yet another rev.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
rjbray01 said:

Those interested in Canon or who have Canon lenses will probably not even bother comparing it to Sony. And many of us (myself included) who have tried Sony FF will not bother comparing it to Sony as we have already seen how the Sonys are lacking. Until Sony improves their color and their ergonomics, I wouldn't even consider Sony.

This could be the best piece of news for some time ... we might actually get a decent camera out of Canon yet !

Canon has made more decent cameras than probably anyone else. So this is Trollspeak. Thanks for revealing yourself!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Help me out. Why is the MP war back on...after all, all the talking heads here have argued that MP desires above the high teens are irrelevant and the 1DX was always proof of their argument. Are folks now buying bodies to support lenses as opposed to the other way around as in years past? You cannot seriously tell me it's for printing purposes, we all know the average forumite rarely prints larger than 11 x 14. YMMV of course. (99.9% of your images are for SM)

Upvote 0
slclick said:
Help me out. Why is the MP war back on...after all, all the talking heads here have argued that MP desires above the high teens are irrelevant and the 1DX was always proof of their argument. Are folks now buying bodies to support lenses as opposed to the other way around as in years past?

Not everyone's needs are the same. For those doing a lot of retouching, especially skin retouching, the more pixels to work with, the better (everything else being equal). People shooting sports on a 1DX wouldn't care about that one bit, while someone shooting beauty shots would care about that a whole lot.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
noms78 said:
Hmm, I didn't buy the 5d mark IV because of its 30MP and crippled 4k. Was really expecting the FF mirrorless to have 38MP. If the 4k video isn't crippled it could still be a winner, even with 30MP...

I did buy the 5D mk IV because of its 30MP sensor (and a few other accoutrements) and have yet to shoot in 4K. It is the compelling reason I don't currently have any interest in a FF MILC. My mirrorless aspirations are limited to the aps-c range, so I'm guardedly optimistic on the evolution of the M line.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
tmroper said:
slclick said:
Help me out. Why is the MP war back on...after all, all the talking heads here have argued that MP desires above the high teens are irrelevant and the 1DX was always proof of their argument. Are folks now buying bodies to support lenses as opposed to the other way around as in years past?

Not everyone's needs are the same. For those doing a lot of retouching, especially skin retouching, the more pixels to work with, the better (everything else being equal). People shooting sports on a 1DX wouldn't care about that one bit, while someone shooting beauty shots would care about that a whole lot.

So were fashion shots simply unusable until the newer high MP bodies of the past couple years? I cannot believe that. Or are you saying current fashion and portrait studios hold themselves to different standards? Your response was bordering on the tired premise that you can't do anything good unless you buy _____ product. (Which disregards 100+ years of incredible photography with older gear) I didn't say you said exactly that just that you didn't convince me with your reasoning. Maybe if you just said pixel peepers with money created a market, then I'd say "ok"

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
noms78 said:
Hmm, I didn't buy the 5d mark IV because of its 30MP and crippled 4k. Was really expecting the FF mirrorless to have 38MP. If the 4k video isn't crippled it could still be a winner, even with 30MP...

I bought the mkIV because I needed a backup for my 5DsR and did not want two high MP bodies.
I now find myself shooting almost exclusively with the mkIV as it is that much more enjoyable to use.

I also found that 30MP is plenty for architecture and the images between the two bodies is not dramatic.
The DR is allegedly much better but IMO I can't see much difference from my mkIIIs but then again I am not dragging shadows 5 stops.

As for "needing" more res I have yet to encounter any job that "needed" more than 20MP. Even high end still life or beauty as these were being done on 16MP cameras to great results for a long time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0