The new 1DX Mark III runs linux?

I was looking at the following file linked from the 1DX Mark III support website :

The programs listed include
Linux kernel
busybox
glibc
netbase
iptables
procps
util-linux
ncurses
jQuery
openssl
libssh2
curl
wpa_supplicant

This looks very interesting and possible that the machine runs Linux. Is there any independent confirmation?

Last edited:
I'm not going to click that link, but if it came from the page you say, then it's undoubtedly Canon software for computers running Linux, not the camera itself...

I do not think it is software for linux machines. I have revised my comment above. It would not make sense for them to include glibc and linux kernel for a program running on a linux machine.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I do not think it is software for linux machines. I have revised my comment above. It would not make sense for them to include glibc and linux kernel for a program running on a linux machine.

Unless they want to be sure the end user is running the most current versions of glibc and the linux kernel...

I seem to recall they did the same thing for Windows machines and included the latest version of .NET in their windows versions of DPP and EU.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Are you saying there's other software, to which I can tether my Canon camera? Or that some other brand of camera has better tethering software?

I'm not willing to switch brands.
Capture 1, CamRanger, TetherTools all have better tethering software for Canon cameras than Canon, even Lightroom through a watched folder is less clunky than DPP/EOS Utilities.

I own WFT’s and CamRangers and choose the later every chance I can make it work.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I was looking at the following file linked from the 1DX Mark III support website :

The programs listed include
Linux kernel
busybox
glibc
netbase
iptables
procps
util-linux
ncurses
jQuery
openssl
libssh2
curl
wpa_supplicant

This looks very interesting and possible that the machine runs Linux. Is there any independent confirmation?

The references to Freescale are a bit surprising, I was under the impression that the Digic was a joint effort between Canon and TI. Was this the support page for the 1dx3 or the new WFT? Having the WFT running its own OS wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Upvote 0
And busybox :rolleyes:
Aye, you saw that too! (y)
Busybox, a collection of Linux utilities in a single, slimmed down executable, ideal for devices with limited hardware resources.
Busybox is not something that runs on its own, rather it's a suite of utilities that runs within a Linux environment.
If TWRP was in there too............

Regarding the link to gdlp01[dot] c-wss [dot] com above, yes, be cautious, the link shown 'might' be a re-direct to something nefarious, I'm not clicking that either.
Instead, copy the text of the link, NOT the underscored/hyperlinked link, paste the text of the link into another browser window's address bar, it's a plain text link that can't possibly be harmful.
Turns out it's mostly boring legalese and licensing info.
Included is this list;

Marvell USB8997 Driver
odhcp6c
arping
Wireless Tools for Linux
rng-tools
procps-ng
iptables
hostdriver-module
ethtool
attr
ca-certificates
u-boot-qoriq
util-linux
sysvinit-inittab
netbase
Linux Standard Base
lsbinitscripts
Linux Kernel
busybox
init-ifupdown
initscripts
base-files
sysvinit
libpam

There's connectivity via wireless, USB and IP in that nebula.

edit:
Hyperlinked in red above is the word "Busybox". I did not do that in my post, I pasted the full URL. CR Forum software re-formatted. Looking at the CR forum software re-formatted text here in the edit window, it's safe, nothing untoward has been added.
/edit

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aye, you saw that too! (y)
Busybox, a collection of Linux utilities in a single, slimmed down executable, ideal for devices with limited hardware resources.
Busybox is not something that runs on its own, rather it's a suite of utilities that runs within a Linux environment.
If TWRP was in there too............

Regarding the link to gdlp01[dot] c-wss [dot] com above, yes, be cautious, the link shown 'might' be a re-direct to something nefarious, I'm not clicking that either.
Instead, copy the text of the link, NOT the underscored/hyperlinked link, paste the text of the link into another browser window's address bar, it's a plain text link that can't possibly be harmful.
Turns out it's mostly boring legalese and licensing info.
Included is this list;

Marvell USB8997 Driver
odhcp6c
arping
Wireless Tools for Linux
rng-tools
procps-ng
iptables
hostdriver-module
ethtool
attr
ca-certificates
u-boot-qoriq
util-linux
sysvinit-inittab
netbase
Linux Standard Base
lsbinitscripts
Linux Kernel
busybox
init-ifupdown
initscripts
base-files
sysvinit
libpam

There's connectivity via wireless, USB and IP in that nebula.

edit:
Hyperlinked in red above is the word "Busybox". I did not do that in my post, I pasted the full URL. CR Forum software re-formatted. Looking at the CR forum software re-formatted text here in the edit window, it's safe, nothing untoward has been added.
/edit

Looking at the recent developments, there is an intruiginh theory that this is supposed to help in the Canon Camera Cloud. It could also possibly hep in responding to Sony releasing their SDK.

I can only hope it means we can develop apps for the camera. :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Looking at the recent developments, there is an intruiginh theory that this is supposed to help in the Canon Camera Cloud. It could also possibly hep in responding to Sony releasing their SDK.

I can only hope it means we can develop apps for the camera. :)

Have you looked at the Canon CCAPI?

Upvote 0