The new 5D Mark V and R version.

If a 5DV comes, it'll be another iterative affair. Maybe ~40MP, a bit better AF, a bit better video, possibly slightly lighter, slightly better jpegs at high ISO, but I can't see what else would change. The 1Dx3 will give us a good idea how radical they're feeling.
Sounds pretty good to me, considering the starting point :)

In terms of "what else..", my vote would always go for a better spread of focus points - less worried about just how many there are, more about how much closer to the edge can you go..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Sounds pretty good to me, considering the starting point :)

In terms of "what else..", my vote would always go for a better spread of focus points - less worried about just how many there are, more about how much closer to the edge can you go..

I wonder if the dearth of focus points towards the edges in all DSLRs has something to do with the angularity of the light hitting the off axis sensors.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I wonder if the dearth of focus points towards the edges in all DSLRs has something to do with the angularity of the light hitting the off axis sensors.
I'm just the user, not the engineer, but I guess there must be some good (physics based) reason why not, or it would have been done years ago as a matter of course...?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
More likely it's about the limited size of the secondary mirror (the one that directs the light toward the AF sensor at the bottom of the mirrorbox).

Upvote 0
How about removable (or rather attachable) EVF?

Since the thread about the upcoming 5D Mark V and R version got hijacked into a total DR (Dumb Ruminations) cluster and measurbating contest...

What are your hopes for the 5D Mark V and R II? No DR silliness allowed. No removable mirror box wierdness allowed either.

Will this be the point where you split into mirrorless? Or will you be staying with the DSLR? They both have their own unique positives and negatives.

My wishlist is focus bracketing, improved autofocus, more resolution, better dynamic range. I’m satisfied with my 5D IV burst rate. I don’t use it that often and 20 OOF birds in flight are no better than 10.

I haven’t seen a compelling reason to go mirrorless but I‘d consider one if the camera did something the 5D X couldn’t. The only EVF I’ve seen was on a Sony and I wasn’t impressed. Way too small for my old eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
The R needs a low power mode to extend battery life in a walk-around, always ready situation. This could be a lower Rez, lower refresh rate in live view or EVF; that would quickly switch to full Rez at half press of shutter button. Menu selectable feature.

Yes, the closest is “Eco” mode, which lowers the frame rate in the EVF/LCD but that is a binary on/off function. I wonder if it could be integrated like you mentioned.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
For the 5DV, fix this battery drain issue when camera is turned off, and give me 10-12 fps. That may be enough for me to get the 5DV. Give me better spread on my AF points, all the better. I'll happily accept any improvements to the sensor, but they really are not necessary. I would also like >1,000 shots per battery charge on a consistent basis. Right now, I am all over the place. It has never been an issue, as I've never gone through my backup battery as well, but it would be nice.

As for the EOS R system, it is a bit tough to know what straw they have to add to make me start buying into the R system. I've been telling myself if they create a highish (82 MP seems too high) MP EOS R with M/SRAW that keeps file sizes down to ~30 MB when I do not need full IQ that can do at least 7 fps, that I may finally jump. I am hearing great things about the AF after the recent update, so it is becoming tempting. I've yet to try the EVF, but have disliked all those that I have tried (M, Fuji, and Sony). So, that is more about the rumored "High MP" EOS-R.

For me to buy an RII? 30-36 MP, 10-12 fps, battery life over 1,000 shots, whatever IQ advances they have, AF as fast as a DSLR (may be there) and me confirming I can live with the EVF.

But, I am as likely to buy an amazing 5DV as I am an R system camera. Maybe more so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...For me to buy an RII? 30-36 MP, 10-12 fps, battery life over 1,000 shots, whatever IQ advances they have, AF as fast as a DSLR (may be there) and me confirming I can live with the EVF.

But, I am as likely to buy an amazing 5DV as I am an R system camera. Maybe more so.

As long as you keep buying Canon cameras, Canon doesn't care if it is a DSLR or a mirrorless.

Not trying to pick on you, but just trying to illustrate that when people say they want "X" in a mirrorless or they will stick with a DSLR, they don't understand that Canon isn't trying to convert anyone to mirrorless. Different form factors have different strengths and weaknesses. That's not likely to change. All Canon is trying to do is empty your wallet. And, if it is with DSLRs, Mirrorless or lenses, it's all the same to them. Only people on forums care which you choose.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Seeing as there is not going to be a 7d3 and i am looking for a camera that will give me improved results for Aurora photography I am getting close to the point where i may/will enter the mirrorless world. I will keep the 7d2 for wildlife photography so will not require a speed demon and will probably be able to live with the evf currently on the R. Tbh the current r may be enough for me. Maybe the release of the next model will push the price of the r down a bit more and i might pull the trigger. Maybe if the next r body is a more capable setup for action i might even get it and use it for wildlife in place of the 7d2. Its not an easy decision as my disposable income has to be managed more carefully than some.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
As long as you keep buying Canon cameras, Canon doesn't care if it is a DSLR or a mirrorless.

Not trying to pick on you, but just trying to illustrate that when people say they want "X" in a mirrorless or they will stick with a DSLR, they don't understand that Canon isn't trying to convert anyone to mirrorless. Different form factors have different strengths and weaknesses. That's not likely to change. All Canon is trying to do is empty your wallet. And, if it is with DSLRs, Mirrorless or lenses, it's all the same to them. Only people on forums care which you choose.
No worries, I agree with your point, just not sure why you are making it. I was not trying to address Canon, but respond to the OP, which asked "will this be the point that you split into mirrorless." Perhaps this wasn't obvious, but my list for the RII was the same I was looking for in the 5DV, plus confirming I could tolerate or even enjoy the differences between mirrorless and dSLR. The subtle point being, I am looking at features, regardless of "mirrorless" or "dSLR" because in the end, I want a camera that feels good in my hand, that I enjoy using, and does as many things as I would want it to do. The list of those things does not change just because it is mirrorless or a dSLR.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I’m not ever going back to a mirror camera, but what I want to see in a R upgrade is:

Proper weather sealing
Proper weather sealing
The R has proper weather sealing. Unless you plan to stand outside in heavy rain with it for well over an hour, you're set.

Upvote 0