The New EOS Cinema C300 / Do you believe still image cameras are going away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2010
Hillsilly said:
Interesting question. If you mean purely still image cameras (ie with no video capability) then I will say yes.

Currently, there are virtually no new film cameras being made (ignoring disposable cameras). Those that exist will either become damaged and irrepairable or will just see less use. While there is still some demand in developing parts of the world, I understand that sales there have also declined in recent years. There will always be film cameras, but they will become rarer and rarer.

Voightlander still makes new film cameras, so does Leica, Alpa, Wista Linhof, Toyo, Holga, Diana, Seagull, Shen Hao, Hasselblad, Nikon, Zeiss, Vivitar.

There's also a bunch of large format cameras and medium format in production.

Still cameras will not go away. You still need them for a bunch of stuff. Maybe they'll evolve and include video, but the Pentax 645D, Phase One, Hassleblad, Leaf, Mamiya? People still use those quite a lot.

In the amateur/hobbyest field, they might disappear, but people who make a living doing still photography want cameras.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2010
Don't forget the Canon 1V!

But I doubt that there will ever be a new, high selling, film camera released in future. If anything, existing manufacturers will pull out of that market. Therefore, I guess I'm referring to the 99.99% of future cameras that won't be digital medium format cameras.

But I agree totally with the comment above. There will always be a market for a product that does one thing exceptionally well. But given the ease with which video features can be incorporated into digital cameras, I just can't see any mainstream future camera lacking this feature. And this feature set will continue to grow over time.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.