The New Guy

I have always taken landscape photos with no lighting or flash etc.

This was an experimentation with our newest addition to family that came over Christmas! I definitely see things that could be improved, but I would love to hear feedback/critiques on technique, composure, etc.

a>

iframe>

Attachments

• Pierce-GG-Blanket.jpg
    Pierce-GG-Blanket.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 374
  • Pierce Smile.jpg
    Pierce Smile.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 279

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Lilwesta said:

This was an experimentation with our newest addition to family that came over Christmas! I definitely see things that could be improved, but I would love to hear feedback/critiques on technique, composure, etc.
Keep doing what you're doing! You're catching the magic moments. And don't stop.
You're in a time warp now. Babies turn into 18 year olds asking for the car keys before you can blink.

It's a truly fantastic ride.

-pw

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the kind words. I kind of understand the basic idea of composition etc for a Landscape photo. But i'm completely new to the idea of portraits. I'm actually reading a book(slowly) on portraiture called "The Portrait Photography Course". So far it has been very interesting, but I'm still in the intro section. I've heard great things about this book.

Upvote 0

Tabor Warren Photography

I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
Feb 2, 2012
Tulsa, OK
www.photosbytabor.com
First of all, congratulations! Kids are amazing, I have a small collection of them myself, (3 to be precise).

Knowing that you are seeking some insight, I would recommend;
1) taking these types of pictures as frequently as possible.
2) when choosing a blanket and setting, yellow can make things a bit more challenging for white balance, whether it is an ambient yellow from the walls or lighting, or the yellow of a blanket or toy, white is fantastic or a color that is no where near the babies normal skin tone (I try not to use yellow to red, but most every other color is fine, though probably just a personal preference).
3) I am a person fan of very shallow depth of field, especially for the little ones
4) (Again may be my taste, but) if you look through my family/baby galleries online at http://photosbytabor.smugmug.com/Family you may find some inspiration with regard to memories you would want to capture. We shoot "lifestyle newborn sessions" and really try to capture the early days of the newborn, interactions with everyone, and all the time they spend sleeping. Though we will occasionally take more posed photos, it is certainly not our preference. When we look back at photos of our kids, the ones we cherish most explain the relationship, through a photo.

I hope this helps and congratulations again!

Cheers,
-Tabor

Upvote 0
Lilwesta said:

a>

iframe>

Beautiful baby!

I think they're great photos. The only critique I would have (because you asked) is that the photos appear a bit too warm for me. Not overly warm, but just a smidge. Maybe it's the yellow blanket as Tabor mentioned.

Enjoy those giggles and smiles!

Upvote 0