The Next DSLR from Canon Will Be...

Canon started freaking out 12 months ago with Sony A7 mirrorless sales surging. They clearly diverted internal resources towards mirrorless so that means you will see mirrorless cameras and lenses in 2016.

If Canon came out in the next 6 months with with a 7 or 8 FPS 5D4 with a higher megapixel version on the 1Dx II sensor, it would kill 1Dx sales.

If Canon comes out with a 6DII with a higher megapixel version of the 1DxII sensor it will kill future 5D4 sales - that just cannot happen.

They either make the wedding season (March / April release) or it is a Christmas / next year event with a few month later 6DII launch.

In all honesty, being a 5DSR owner, if they come out with a 28-30 megapixel camera, they need:
- a 24-70 F2.8 with IS
- a new 50L with the 35L II treatment that is sharp at F1.2 & 1.4
- a 85L with IS

my 2 cents is that it is not coming for a while

- a 24-70 F2.8 with IS

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
wallstreetoneil said:
Canon started freaking out 12 months ago with Sony A7 mirrorless sales surging. They clearly diverted internal resources towards mirrorless so that means you will see mirrorless cameras and lenses in 2016.

If Canon came out in the next 6 months with with a 7 or 8 FPS 5D4 with a higher megapixel version on the 1Dx II sensor, it would kill 1Dx sales.

If Canon comes out with a 6DII with a higher megapixel version of the 1DxII sensor it will kill future 5D4 sales - that just cannot happen.

They either make the wedding season (March / April release) or it is a Christmas / next year event with a few month later 6DII launch.

In all honesty, being a 5DSR owner, if they come out with a 28-30 megapixel camera, they need:
- a 24-70 F2.8 with IS
- a new 50L with the 35L II treatment that is sharp at F1.2 & 1.4
- a 85L with IS

my 2 cents is that it is not coming for a while

- a 24-70 F2.8 with IS
However, if they come with a 5D4 similar (or slight) Mpixel increase, 1fps increase and IQ close to 1DxII it will just kill the 5D3 sales ;D

Upvote 0
There are hundreds of thousands of wedding photographers (myself included) who want the 5D4 to come out before the summer wedding season kicks off. Upgrading in the middle of the year and worrying about issues/recalls isn't going to make us happy.

If Canon could announce it in early April and have it out before the end of the month (like with the 5D3) that would be ideal.

Upvote 0
Canon couldn't release a camera called a MARK IV without it having 4K video. They would be the laughing stock of the photo world. But, it may only be 4K30 not 4K60 like the 1DXII as 4K60 requires a lot of processing power and heat regulation. Likely that will be one of the differences between it and the larger 1DXII body.

I love my 5DIII and even thought there is potential for improvement in MP, Dynamic Range and AF performance in the 5DIV, I think I'm switching to the 1DXII because ultimately the AF speed and performance is priority for me. (Part of me is wishing to hear what they are planning in the 5DIV before spending $6K on the 1DXII) :D

Upvote 0
Ryanide16 said:
Canon couldn't release a camera called a MARK IV without it having 4K video. They would be the laughing stock of the photo world. But, it may only be 4K30 not 4K60 like the 1DXII as 4K60 requires a lot of processing power and heat regulation. Likely that will be one of the differences between it and the larger 1DXII body.

I love my 5DIII and even thought there is potential for improvement in MP, Dynamic Range and AF performance in the 5DIV, I think I'm switching to the 1DXII because ultimately the AF speed and performance is priority for me. (Part of me is wishing to hear what they are planning in the 5DIV before spending $6K on the 1DXII) :D

You know they will wait until you have plunked down 6K for the 1DXII. :)
They will delay and see how many 5DIII and 1DX owners will go to the 1DXII before the 5DIV gets shown to the world. Who knows how long they will wait is anyone's guess.

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
wallstreetoneil said:

How many 1Dx sales did the 5Ds kill? Not many I guess.

It would make sense to offer a 6D2 with a body similar to 80D (possibly including the same AF module - an improvement over 6D but with limited area coverage) and an updated sensor - the one from 5Ds or a bigger version of the 80D sensor. Because of the resolution and file sizes, if would be pretty slow compared to the 5D3/1D series and not a real option for most of those buyers. Judging from their own comments (20 MP is plenty, no need for more DR etc.), they would gain very little and lose a lot by going from 5D3 to such a 6D2.

Given the huge value that 5D3 and 1DX buyers seem to put on framerate, AF speed/options, build quality, I doubt many of them would buy a 6D2 just because of the better sensor. After all, even if they want more MP anyone can guess that if a 5D4 hasn't been announced by then it cannot be far off. Some differences in video performance could also influence buying e.g. full 4K support for the 5D4 and very limited or none for 6D2.

Canon could even decide to give the 6D2 a swivel screen, so no 5D3/1DX buyer will want to be seen using one ;-)

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
rrcphoto said:
Well.

Considering that CR or CW had NO idea the 80D was coming out before January 28th, and when it was actually released in February 18th.

the 1DXII? the first comments about a February announcements was somewhere in January?

Canon is holding things pretty tight, so I'm not sure why CR or anyone would expect advanced warning or notice past a month in advance.

so all we really know is that a release is not imminent in the next month really.

Food for thought, the 5D Mark III was not released at a show, but announced after CP+ on March 2, 2012 and CR didn't have it really nailed down until Feb 22nd.

why all of a sudden does anyone expect a significant advanced warning on any canon camera all of a sudden?!

The 5D III was announced at Focus on Imaging in the UK in 2012. Its replacement, The Photography Show is coming up just under four weeks.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
rrcphoto said:
Well.

Considering that CR or CW had NO idea the 80D was coming out before January 28th, and when it was actually released in February 18th.

the 1DXII? the first comments about a February announcements was somewhere in January?

Canon is holding things pretty tight, so I'm not sure why CR or anyone would expect advanced warning or notice past a month in advance.

so all we really know is that a release is not imminent in the next month really.

Food for thought, the 5D Mark III was not released at a show, but announced after CP+ on March 2, 2012 and CR didn't have it really nailed down until Feb 22nd.

why all of a sudden does anyone expect a significant advanced warning on any canon camera all of a sudden?!

yeah, I like CRguy a ton but today's post certainly seems to be a little ... overconfident, perhaps?

in addition to your points, I'd also add that I disagree with the assumption that it must be the 6D Mk II that gets announced in September, and that nothing gets announced late summer. From what I remember, the original 5D was announced in August, and the 5D Mk II was announced in September. So what's with all the certainty, when history begs to differ?

Upvote 0
wallstreetoneil said:

So a 5D Mark IV could kill 1DX Mark II sales and a 6D Mark II could kill 5D Mark IV sales. If A = B and B = C, then A = C. So, a 6D Mark II could kill 1DX Mark II sales!

That's CR logic for you folks.

It's hilarious reading a lot of these replies (not just the one quoted above). I'm sure many of you are great photographers, but you'd make awful executives of an ENORMOUS camera company. No offense. Or take offense. I don't really care.

Upvote 0
The Next DSLR from Canon Will Be...

a rebel.

Talking about FF DSLRs...

K said:
I agree with CR, a 6D2 release before the 5D4 isn't likely.

BUT...Canon doesn't have to keep things in order. A 6D2 release makes the most sense, as it is supposed to appeal to enthusiasts. In the pro realm, pros aren't so quick to want to upgrade and are less demanding of bells and whistles than enthusiasts. That, and in my opinion, Canon is weaker in that price point area than Nikon.

I agree. Especially if the 6D2 is going upmarket as the rumors suggest. In addition, the high-MP 5Ds/5Dsr are relatively recent releases which have already satisfied a substantial part of the 5 series users.

Anyway, the longer the 6D2 and 5D4 take to hit the market, the more likely is they come with some new tech. Lots of patents from Canon lately, sooner or later a few of them should actualize into real products.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
wallstreetoneil said:

Are you joking? Or, just hallucinating?

Upvote 0