The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

With the 2020 Olympics around the corner, we're going to have a sports R by 2020Q2 I'm sure, whether this announcement is it or not. (It may also simply be used at the Olympics before it's available to the general public; I think they've done that before.)

As for whether it's a slower hi-res or faster med-res, I imagine "it" will actually be two models. It's just too easy to make two identical cameras differing only in sensor and shooting rate: witness the EOS-1D v.s EOS-1Ds or a7 and a7R. They may still stagger them by a quarter or two.

As for data-moving capability, they just introduced the DIGIC 8 chip and it's only been used in the M5 and R. Several other Canon bodies have dual DIGICs so I'm going to guess the new model will have dual DIGIC 8. Since the resolution is about twice the R, I wouldn't be surprised if they have 1) a model with the R's shooting speed but double resolution, plus 2) a second model with more like 35MP but double speed. This second may also have the CPU power to use the full sensor for 4k/25.
The M5 uses the Digic 7, M50 uses Digic 8

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So, assuming a sensor size of 10240 x 6826 (which works out just a fraction under 70 megapixels), if you were to use it in APS-C crop mode you'd get a 39.57 megapixel image - which could presumably have a much higher framerate.
if you had done the math correctly, you had found out that it would be 26.0MP in crop mode (instead of 66.7MP in FF mode)

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
I'll go for all what has been posted as wishes for the EOS-R "professional" but please NO 70 megapixels. We just don't need such a high resolution. I have got a 5Ds and it requires a careful handling at high shooting speeds to keep everything sharp. For what concerns me 40 Mp is good enough and this in any case will achieve a higher frame rate than an impossible 70 Mp for which, even as a landscape photographer, I do not see the purpose.
That's why Canon should include IBIS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
No. An APS-C crop of 70MP is approx 27MP. Which would be a pretty good resolution for a high-speed crop camera. Perhaps the high-res R could double as the 7DII replacement in crop mode.

Nah, I don't think Canon would be that generous. Why satisfy two market segments with one camera when they could sell two different cameras to more people?

The 5Ds doesn't have a faster frame-rate in APS-C crop mode, it just consumes less card space. Otherwise I know a few people who would sell their 7D2 and settle for that one body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Choosing a smaller resolution means that your camera computes a smaller photo out of the bigger one. That's like shrinking the resolution in Photoshop. The problem with small pixels is the sensor noise of every single pixel, that does not really vanish when you shrink your photo. That's why the Sony A7SII with its 12 megapixels beats other cameras even if you shrink their images to 12 megapixels.
Really?????? Wow. I learn something new everyday. :LOL: Sony. BTW: Glad I still have my 12.2 megapixel Canon Rebel XSi. Would the sensors be "hot swappable" in your fantasy camera?

Upvote 0
If this camera has IBIS, I wonder if that also means it will feature a new sensor technology? Canon will upgrade at some time. Will this be the camera?

Since Canon doesn't have a high resolution sensor with dual pixel AF, it is safe to assume, that this will be a completely new sensor and there is some reason to hope, that they make changes to the whole sensor architecture as well. Unless of course Canon decide that you don't need DPAF for landscapes and contrast detect AF is enough (and don't you dare shoot anything else than landscapes with this camera).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Choosing a smaller resolution means that your camera computes a smaller photo out of the bigger one. That's like shrinking the resolution in Photoshop. The problem with small pixels is the sensor noise of every single pixel, that does not really vanish when you shrink your photo. That's why the Sony A7SII with its 12 megapixels beats other cameras even if you shrink their images to 12 megapixels.

not true at all.

a larger image size also allows you to do computational NR to reduce noise even further before reducing the image resolution down.

and if you look at DXO SNR charts, when normalized down to 8MP, the A7R III bests the A7S II. which invalidates your entire theory.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I still hope one day we will have a camera with interchangeable sensors. People have strong views about having a high or a low megapixel count. For me for example low noise is very important and therefore I will prefer a low megapixel count most of the time.

Literally scale down, perhaps after applying a bit more NR (in camera JPEG settings or in your RAW converter). Done correctly you should end up with a sharper, more detailed, and cleaner image. The low MP = better high ISO meme is a myth for stills.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Since Canon doesn't have a high resolution sensor with dual pixel AF, it is safe to assume, that this will be a completely new sensor and there is some reason to hope, that they make changes to the whole sensor architecture as well. Unless of course Canon decide that you don't need DPAF for landscapes and contrast detect AF is enough (and don't you dare shoot anything else than landscapes with this camera).

not safe to assume that at all. they could simply take the 80D sensor and make it full frame .. that would be pretty close to the 70MP.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

The A7s II is softer and less detailed but not really cleaner. This is with DPReview's "dumb" scaling for a web comparison tool. NR the 5Ds file before shrinking with a high quality scaling algorithm and it will be noticeably cleaner on top of being sharper/more detailed.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Yeaeh this means we’ll just have to wait another year or 2 for a video oriented camera. I’m wondering if canon though about the YouTube crowd. I need 120fps ! Crap maybe i’ll end up beeing a Sony shooter, cant wait forever.

While I will likely at some point add a Canon "R" camera, likely prosumer or maybe PRO (something like the 5D line is what I"d prefer)....and I'd likely use it for some video, I'm looking seriously at getting the Blackmagic Design Cinema 4K "Pocket" Camera as that it really looks like a great video package, for a very reasonable price.

Have you considered that possibility?

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Yeaeh this means we’ll just have to wait another year or 2 for a video oriented camera. I’m wondering if canon though about the YouTube crowd. I need 120fps ! Crap maybe i’ll end up beeing a Sony shooter, cant wait forever.
Canon cares far too much about their Cine EOS line to ever put 120fps in one of their photo cameras. I think the cheapest camera to have it is the XF400 (a $3k, tiny sensor camcorder). The 1D-X II is the lone exception because its already a $5k+ camera.

After the 5DIV and both RF cameras came out without it, I gave up because its obviously not something Canon is gonna do.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
While I will likely at some point add a Canon "R" camera, likely prosumer or maybe PRO (something like the 5D line is what I"d prefer)....and I'd likely use it for some video, I'm looking seriously at getting the Blackmagic Design Cinema 4K "Pocket" Camera as that it really looks like a great video package, for a very reasonable price.

I hate to say it but I second that. I'm looking at the X-T3 for video with an adapter for my Canon glass. Not a purchase I'm going to make right away but I can see myself doing it this summer.

Upvote 0
not true at all.

a larger image size also allows you to do computational NR to reduce noise even further before reducing the image resolution down.

and if you look at DXO SNR charts, when normalized down to 8MP, the A7R III bests the A7S II. which invalidates your entire theory.

Large pixel has better SNR than binned CMOS pixels. It just means that A7RIII uses some SW processing which is not in A7SII or that DXO data are useless.

https://www.atik-cameras.com/news/binnning-the-differences-between-cmos-and-ccd/

If you have CMOS with one large pixel instead of 4 small binned pixels you can look at it as if you used CCD binning from that article. Readout is simply better and it still allows doing SW processing on top of that.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I'm dumbfounded at all the "my 5Ds is hard to shoot" comments. Literally just use crop shutter speeds. Instead of 1/focal length use 1/(focal length x 1.6). And don't be OCD with hand held shots taken under less than perfect conditions. If it looks good at 50% then it looks at least as good, if not better, than it would have with a 5D mark III.

I'm finding my hand held shots have ridiculous levels of detail, even when shooting a non-IS lens. Is there the occasional shot that does not hold up as well at 100% in PS? Sure. And it would still make tack sharp 24" print.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I hate to say it but I second that. I'm looking at the X-T3 for video with an adapter for my Canon glass. Not a purchase I'm going to make right away but I can see myself doing it this summer.

I"m thinking about maybe renting the BM Design 4K pocket camera, and maybe the metabones adapter for my EF lenses, just to play with it and see how it works and how the workflow is. I like with the BM Design, you also get included the FULL version fo Davinci Resolve....like a $300 value.

I love my current 5D3 still, it works great for me...I actually bought it when it first came out, my first ever DSLR, and believe it or not, I bought it primarily for VIDEO!!

I'm in New Orleans and just before it came out, I was on a commercial video shoot, and saw someone shooting with the strangest camera, caged and everything...it was the 5D2. I started looking into it and the 5D3 came out.

It wasn't till a year or so later I actually started experimenting shooting stills with it and fell in love with stills too.

So, I will buy a "R" camera when one comes out that is comparable to the "5" line of cameras. Of course I'll use some video with it too, but it will be primarily for my stills, and will use my 5D3 as backup.

But with the reasonable price of the BM 4K camera for video, a dedicated very well rated camera, I would look into buying it too primarily for video and using my "R" can 5D3 cameras as backup or B roll cameras.

Sounds like a great setup for me at least.

I saw that lensrentals.com has a 15% discount for this month, if I can get the 'day job' settled a bit more, I might rent the BM 4K camera for a long weekend and see how it works.

cayenne

Upvote 0