The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The third camera body in the EOS R lineup is likely being announced in Q4 of 2019 and all indications seem to point to it being a high-resolution camera.
We’re being told that the next EOS R camera will have more than 70 megapixels and will keep Canon at the top of the full-frame sensor resolution rankings. The same person also mentioned that IBIS is definitely going to be featured in the camera, something that’s been reported previously.
We previously wrote that the next EOS R would sport dual card slots and feature Canon DSLR ergonomics with things such as a joystick coming to the EOS R lineup.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
This could potentially be the camera that brings over to FF mirrorless / RF mount. While I don't need 70MP, a higher end body than the EOS R is what I'm looking for. IBIS, faster frame rate, better ergonomics, potentially some improvements in AF, dual card slots - these are all features I would welcome.

I will keep looking forward to Canon's camera body and lens offerings in this mount. In the meantime, my DSLRs and EF/EF-S lenses, including some L glass serve me very well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing can do, though I'm thinking I may need to invest in protective eye-wear before I see the price!
probably - but Canon has been pretty aggressive with pricing the R models so far - so here hoping the price starts with a 2 or a 3 and not a 4

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
probably - but Canon has been pretty aggressive with pricing the R models so far - so here hoping the price starts with a 2 or a 3 and not a 4

Well...

5Ds cameras came out at $3699 and $3899 for the 5Ds and the 5DsR respectively, I would imagine in the same ballpark.

Starting with a 2 has a snowball's chance in hell, IMO.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
An EOS R version of the 5Ds / 5Dsr line aimed at Landscape photographers sporting increased resolution, increased dynamic range (please!), DPAF, weather sealed, optional crop to reduce resolution (smaller files), built in intervalometer and a few other bells and whistles. Landscape photographers dream considering the excellent outputs from the new RF lenses. If the DR is there to match the competition could become the new standard in IQ. Chances of class leading DR?....Relatively Low, either way will be a good professional tool.

IMHO will have a relatively low frame rate and not be video orientated probably have 4k crop, no peaking, zebras etc so most likely will get roasted by the video orientated shooters. Although there's always a chance Canon have really put their time and money into this and knock it out the park to regain the top spot.

Either way, I've been waiting for another rumour like this so I can read another 100+ pages of predictions whilst I save for this most likely incredibly expensive pro/prosumer camera!

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yeaeh this means we’ll just have to wait another year or 2 for a video oriented camera. I’m wondering if canon though about the YouTube crowd. I need 120fps ! Crap maybe i’ll end up beeing a Sony shooter, cant wait forever.
All my YouTube videos are in slow motion. Makes my twerks and Brazilian wax instructional videos more interesting. So yes, 120fps is huge. There is a ton of slow-mo on YouTube. Sony.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I hope so too, but if we assume that Canon see the EOS R as direct competition for the Z6 and a7iii, then it's priced ~$300 more than comparables. If this is supposed to compare with the a7Riii and Z7, then we could certainly be looking at a price starting with a 4. The 5DsR hasn't received huge discounts even years after release, so Canon does seem to hold high MP bodies in high regard. Sounds like we'll find out in a few months.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I still hope one day we will have a camera with interchangeable sensors. People have strong views about having a high or a low megapixel count. For me for example low noise is very important and therefore I will prefer a low megapixel count most of the time. There are situations though where many megapixels are helpful. I do not have the money though to buy both a 1D X Mark II and a 5DS R. Carrying around both cameras also is a pain.

It is funny that my smartphone has two sensors, but a $6000 DSLR still has only one. Having an 18 megapixel and a 70 megapixel sensor in the same camera would really be a killer feature.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I still hope one day we will have a camera with interchangeable sensors. People have strong views about having a high or a low megapixel count. For me for example low noise is very important and therefore I will prefer a low megapixel count most of the time. There are situations though where many megapixels are helpful. I do not have the money though to buy both a 1D X Mark II and a 5DS R. Carrying around both cameras also is a pain.

It is funny that my smartphone has two sensors, but a $6000 DSLR still has only one. Having an 18 megapixel and a 70 megapixel sensor in the same camera would really be a killer feature.
Isn't there a s,m,l selection feature for file size on Canon DSLRs? Yes. Yeah, I know... not the same as pixel pitch differences, etc... but please.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Personally, I think this will be a lot like the 5Ds/5DsR body in terms of being a very high resolution body, but not a sports-oriented body. If it matches the R in fps, it would be pretty fantastic. I think that a 4th body, a sports/speed-oriented body, is still in the works.

I wonder what kind of sensor this will have. Probably the newer technology that we've seen in the 80D, but perhaps a newer rendition of that with even better low-ISO noise (the 80D is definitely on the right track there).

I'm anxious to see what they come up with, although I'm not likely to buy it. At least not yet...

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Isn't there a s,m,l selection feature for file size on Canon DSLRs? Yes. Yeah, I know... not the same as pixel pitch differences, etc... but please.

Choosing a smaller resolution means that your camera computes a smaller photo out of the bigger one. That's like shrinking the resolution in Photoshop. The problem with small pixels is the sensor noise of every single pixel, that does not really vanish when you shrink your photo. That's why the Sony A7SII with its 12 megapixels beats other cameras even if you shrink their images to 12 megapixels.

• Wow
Upvote 0