The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

Oct 29, 2012
I too am hoping for a more "DSLR" like body with respect to controls etc......this sounds good except for the 70MP....that is a lot of data to move. I hope they have a next generation sensor to back it up. I hope they don't do what they did with the 5DSR and just cram in a lot of resolution at the expense of low light performance and DR. If this is a landscape body, and I really hope it is aimed at that genre since that's what I do, DR and shadow noise are very important. Especially if you are shooting 70 MP shots, since that makes a lot of bracketing less practical due to file sizes. maybe a really, really good 50 Mp is god enough..

Having said that, I bet there will be a next gen sensor, since the current "flagship" 5D4 sensor is 3 years old this year. And that sensor IMHO is actually quite good for landscapes. So maybe it will all work out. I can't wait for that 15-30 RF...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
I still hope one day we will have a camera with interchangeable sensors. People have strong views about having a high or a low megapixel count. For me for example low noise is very important and therefore I will prefer a low megapixel count most of the time. There are situations though where many megapixels are helpful. I do not have the money though to buy both a 1D X Mark II and a 5DS R. Carrying around both cameras also is a pain.

It is funny that my smartphone has two sensors, but a $6000 DSLR still has only one. Having an 18 megapixel and a 70 megapixel sensor in the same camera would really be a killer feature.

Your phone's camera sensors are practically microscopic in comparison. You're not swapping a fragile sensor out, just switching to a different micro camera. With IBIS and any other tech attached to the sensor, swapping out a sensor would be complicated and require a socket that would make the camera even larger.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Somehow I had the feeling they had the high resolution sensor ready or close to ready but not they're not quite there yet with the processing speed required for a 5D Mark IV or a 1DX equivalent mirrorless camera.
It will come, no worry about that. You can call Canon many names but stupid is not one of them. Just think about the many great innovations they had in the past.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Sounds great. Praying for a much faster frame rate.
I'm expecting a high MP camera, for landscape and macro photography, NOT FOR SPORTS!!!!
So, a high frame-rate is not to be expected, we shouldn't mix categories...:sneaky:
A Jeep doesn't have to be as fast as a Corvette.

Upvote 0
So, assuming a sensor size of 10240 x 6826 (which works out just a fraction under 70 megapixels), if you were to use it in APS-C crop mode you'd get a 39.57 megapixel image - which could presumably have a much higher framerate.
No. An APS-C crop of 70MP is approx 27MP. Which would be a pretty good resolution for a high-speed crop camera. Perhaps the high-res R could double as the 7DII replacement in crop mode.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
With the 2020 Olympics around the corner, we're going to have a sports R by 2020Q2 I'm sure, whether this announcement is it or not.

maybe not. Canon will be doing the 1DX Mark III, that's probably good enough for this go around. 2012Q2 would be probably too late for the Olympics, it would have to come out in around 2012Q1 at the latest and to be honest.. that's just not going to happen.

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Sounds great. Praying for a much faster frame rate.
I've been thinking and wishing, but I don't think that's their target, camera w/ high fps for sports or wildlife. Essentially, there are two industries: 1) sports/wild life; and 2)lifestyle/live events/landscape.

The current sets of EOS R system (R and RP) aims at #2. If I'm the CEO of Canon, I would want to strengthen that industries to give the top pedigrees (or pro camera fanatics) the best tool possible. After that, I would move onto #1 and work on the 7D and 1D equivalents.

At best we may see high fps for crop mode, like 7-10fps @ 20-25MP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Choosing a smaller resolution means that your camera computes a smaller photo out of the bigger one. That's like shrinking the resolution in Photoshop. The problem with small pixels is the sensor noise of every single pixel, that does not really vanish when you shrink your photo. That's why the Sony A7SII with its 12 megapixels beats other cameras even if you shrink their images to 12 megapixels.
Well, not really. There are a number of ways to do this. Making 4 pixels into one gives one forth the resolution, but much better noise and dynamic specs. You also keep the same size frame. If the original was 75MP, the resulting downsize would be 18.75. That would be fairly small by today’s standards, it’s still enough for many things, and could give a high frame rate, assuming the processor could keep up.

You’re talking about a digital crop, which is something entirely different. It also changes the apparent lens lengths.

Upvote 0
An outlier possibility is that this will be an image-quality-above-all-else camera, and it will be a roughly 1 frames per second camera at maximum quality. The reasoning is that Canon has been handicapped in the processing/throughput arena for some time, and one of the compromises it has had to make with the R series is lopping off some features that are processor-intensive. Servo AF with the better frame rates is probably the most prominent example. I suspect IBIS may have been delayed because putting it in would have sucked up even more processing cycles, forcing even worse choices for the R.

If they went with IQ-above-all-else, and include all the there is a real market for that, and 1 fps isn't much of a compromise for some of them. They'd price it super high, marketing it as sort of like a medium format experience, where the slow actions and processes form a thoughtful, considered composition.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I still hope one day we will have a camera with interchangeable sensors. People have strong views about having a high or a low megapixel count. For me for example low noise is very important and therefore I will prefer a low megapixel count most of the time. There are situations though where many megapixels are helpful. I do not have the money though to buy both a 1D X Mark II and a 5DS R. Carrying around both cameras also is a pain.

It is funny that my smartphone has two sensors, but a $6000 DSLR still has only one. Having an 18 megapixel and a 70 megapixel sensor in the same camera would really be a killer feature.
A High MP Camera has no worse high iso capability than a low MP one. Only on pixel level it seems so. As far as i know, using the s- and m-settings does line skipping, but shooting at full resolution and downsampling is the way to do if one wants smaller files, or less pixels. The disadvantages of high MP are huge raw files, slower processing and slower frame rate at shooting.

Upvote 0

Markeran

1Dx mk2 / 5D4 + 14 EF lenses / EOS R + 3 RF lenses
I'll go for all what has been posted as wishes for the EOS-R "professional" but please NO 70 megapixels. We just don't need such a high resolution. I have got a 5Ds and it requires a careful handling at high shooting speeds to keep everything sharp. For what concerns me 40 Mp is good enough and this in any case will achieve a higher frame rate than an impossible 70 Mp for which, even as a landscape photographer, I do not see the purpose.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0