The next EOS R system camera gets a mention again [CR1]

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
For me, it will come down to the quality of the pixels at base and higher ISOs. If I take a 20 or 30 megapixel crop, how will it look compared to a 20-30 megapixel camera with a longer focal length lens?

I don't care about IBIS, but 7-8fps would be wondrous at that megapixel.

But, if the camera is good for general purpose use and usable for wildlife, there is a good chance Canon could have my money.

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
I'll go for all what has been posted as wishes for the EOS-R "professional" but please NO 70 megapixels. We just don't need such a high resolution. I have got a 5Ds and it requires a careful handling at high shooting speeds to keep everything sharp. For what concerns me 40 Mp is good enough and this in any case will achieve a higher frame rate than an impossible 70 Mp for which, even as a landscape photographer, I do not see the purpose.
Absolutely agree with you, I'm okay with 26 to 45mp but 70 is just going to kill the possibilities of high FPS and good low light, as well as video.
IBIS, Dual Card, Joystick and new sensor are all more than welcome, but the 70Mp will just make it more expensive and more niche than it should be.
It would be a godsend for almost everyone if it was an "upgraded" R that had all the complaints fixed

Upvote 0
Yeaeh this means we’ll just have to wait another year or 2 for a video oriented camera. I’m wondering if canon though about the YouTube crowd. I need 120fps ! Crap maybe i’ll end up beeing a Sony shooter, cant wait forever.
I couldn't wait forever either. I've already bought into the Sony system with the A7 III and Tamron 28-75. It's a really nice setup. And just so you know I'm not some Sony fanboy, I shoot with the Mark IV and have 10 Canon lenses including the 16-35 version #3 and two 24-70 version 2's and the 70-200 version #3 that I just bought in the last year. All of these work great with the Sigma MC-11 adapter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I couldn't wait forever either. I've already bought into the Sony system with the A7 III and Tamron 28-75. It's a really nice setup. And just so you know I'm not some Sony fanboy, I shoot with the Mark IV and have 10 Canon lenses including the 16-35 version #3 and two 24-70 version 2's and the 70-200 version #3 that I just bought in the last year. All of these work great with the Sigma MC-11 adapter.
I’m keeping all my ef lenses because they’re going to be better for video because of the ND filter. For video it’s more about the contrast than the sharpness. So I’m definitely waiting for a pro R version. I have a 1DX ii and still produces awesome images and video.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I wish it was just 50MP with 8 FPS.
Coz 70MP would be 4-5 FPS and they will probably not let us have a simple switch to 40 MP @ 10 FPS. Just too great to have and ruins 1Dx line.
The R version of 1DX probably be 30fps. It’s a $6000 market and will have good video cause it’s a $6000 camera. The next Pro R should be 7-8fps IBIS dual slot 50-70mp $4000. Full frame video 4k30fps more like the a7r and z7 decent but not great. Hopefully it has a crop mode option for further reach. Either way i’m Getting it, should be the new sensor for canon. Can’t wait to get my hands on the new R lenses

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I will gladly take the bump in resolution. I will require an increase in DR for me to move. I would welcome a bump in FPS but don't expect it. Combine this with the super fast UWA zoom that has been rumored and this will make an epic landscape/astrophotography rig.

Still hoping this sensor will make its way into a high FPS, cropper as a dedicated rig for wildlife and birds.

Canon, please make me give you my money.

Upvote 0
Stupid stupid canon. first they give us the R then the RP with old recycled sensors and wacky frame rates and crop video with no 120. Now they introduce a stupid overkill mp count on photos sensor that will pretty much mean you'll need to get a new computer and mega capacity memory cards and hard drives. No need for 70mp. 40 mp would've been more than enough. The ibis would be nice as the dual card slots as 120fps for 1080 and a non crop 4k in a useful codec. Canon will screw this up somehow. Trust me, they will. They always screw it up somehow. If not the body will be so damn big that'll it'll make it a hassel to travel with. Canon for life but c'mon...give us a break and give us something we can be proud of being a canon user. Losing faith on each canon body release for the past few years. I don't care how much the thing cost. Stop trying to make them affordable and just make them good. I'll pay whatever you want...just make it a good one!!!

I love your sarcasm;)
On paper, the R and RP are don't seem to stack up to all the other offerings combined. No camera does. You will just end up with a Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none camera or a body no one could afford. On the other hand, the EOS-R and EOS-RP are great cameras for what they do because they don't try to do everything. The next EOS-R body will be a great camera because it will be exceptional at its target purpose and not because it checks off every box a YouTube reviewer will want when comparing it to all other camera bodies combined. Regardless of how the next EOS-R body is spec'ed out, it will leverage the capabilities of the new RF glass to produce fantastic images.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Stupid stupid canon. first they give us the R then the RP with old recycled sensors and wacky frame rates and crop video with no 120. Now they introduce a stupid overkill mp count on photos sensor that will pretty much mean you'll need to get a new computer and mega capacity memory cards and hard drives. No need for 70mp. 40 mp would've been more than enough. The ibis would be nice as the dual card slots as 120fps for 1080 and a non crop 4k in a useful codec. Canon will screw this up somehow. Trust me, they will. They always screw it up somehow. If not the body will be so damn big that'll it'll make it a hassel to travel with. Canon for life but c'mon...give us a break and give us something we can be proud of being a canon user. Losing faith on each canon body release for the past few years. I don't care how much the thing cost. Stop trying to make them affordable and just make them good. I'll pay whatever you want...just make it a good one!!!
CR1 The C stand for CHILL

Upvote 0
For me, it will come down to the quality of the pixels at base and higher ISOs. If I take a 20 or 30 megapixel crop, how will it look compared to a 20-30 megapixel camera with a longer focal length lens?

I don't care about IBIS, but 7-8fps would be wondrous at that megapixel.

I was thinking the same thing about IBIS. However, if shooting handheld with an RF 50mm f/1.2L on a 70MP body at 1.2 with a shutter speed of 1/50, what are the chances the image will have acceptable focus or be tack sharp? What about any lens at the normal minimum shutter speed? I believe IBIS will be required to eliminate the micro camera shake at normal shutter speeds on high MP bodies. Otherwise, every lens would be large and bulky with IS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
The R version of 1DX probably be 30fps. It’s a $6000 market and will have good video cause it’s a $6000 camera. The next Pro R should be 7-8fps IBIS dual slot 50-70mp $4000. Full frame video 4k30fps more like the a7r and z7 decent but not great. Hopefully it has a crop mode option for further reach.

I think I can safely bet we are not getting 70MP@8FPS. 6 max which will be sad. But the real point is how sad it is to have a camera which would be capable of 40MP@10FPS with just a lower res and higher fps switch but it will not be implemented.
Yep, I bet $4500. Guys thinking 2-3k have no idea. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0