The Next Lens from Canon & NAB Announcements

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The next EF lens announcement from Canon will be for the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS.<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-85mm-f1-4l-is-usm-on-the-way-cr3/"> We originally reported on this lens back in November</a> and unfortunately eately we don’t have any more information to report.</p>
<p>We’re thinking the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS will be announced some time in Q2/early Q3 but we hope to nail down an announcement date soon.</p>
<p>We have been told that this lens will not replace the EF 85mm f/1.2L, and that the classic 85L will remain current in the lineup for the foreseeable future.</p>
<p>As for NAB in a few weeks, we do expect to see some announcements on or around April 20, 2017. We’re now being told that there will be no Cinema EOS prime lenses announced for the show, instead we’ll be getting a cinema zoom lens.</p>
<p>The only thing we know for sure is that EOS 5D Mark IV will get a big firmware update announcement on or around April 20, 2017. We haven’t confirmed with absolute certainty that our <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/crop-factor-change-for-4k-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-included-in-coming-update-more/">previous report on the updated features is 100% legitimate</a>.</p>
<p>There is a new Cinema EOS camera body coming, but as we reported earlier, it won’t be announced for NAB and will come later in the year. If we go by the little bit of information we’ve heard about the camera, it will be a “baby” C300 Mark  II. A Cinema EOS C200 perhaps?</p>
<p>All is still quiet on the EOS 6D Mark II, but we definitely expect things to heat up soon.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors said:
<p>We have been told that this lens will not replace the EF 85mm f/1.2L, and that the classic 85L will remain current in the lineup for the foreseeable future.</p>

Why? Who would buy such lens?

Heavier, older, no IS, probably a lot less sharp at any aperture and maybe more expensive. Pretty sure the 1.4 will have weather sealing too.

The difference between f/1.4 and 1.2 is insignificant.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mancubus said:
Canon Rumors said:

Heavier, older, no IS, probably a lot less sharp at any aperture and maybe more expensive. Pretty sure the 1.4 will have weather sealing too.

There will always be holdouts for 'that unique look you can only get from a 1.2' that they can never actually reliably recognize.

Having said that there is a subtle difference between the 70-200 f2.8 IS MkI and MkII, I held onto the MkI because of the smoother way it renders backgrounds and there is no doubt the MkII was built for speed of focus and sharpness above all else, the MkI has a softer more portrait orientated build.

If the 85 f1.4 has the sharper and contrastier look of the 100L Macro then there will be a different feel to the two 85's.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Mancubus said:
Canon Rumors said:

There will always be holdouts for 'that unique look you can only get from a 1.2' that they can never actually reliably recognize.

Having said that there is a subtle difference between the 70-200 f2.8 IS MkI and MkII, I held onto the MkI because of the smoother way it renders backgrounds and there is no doubt the MkII was built for speed of focus and sharpness above all else, the MkI has a softer more portrait orientated build.

If the 85 f1.4 has the sharper and contrastier look of the 100L Macro then there will be a different feel to the two 85's.

Who'd a thought "night and day" could be characterized as "subtle?"

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Pixel said:
privatebydesign said:
Mancubus said:
Canon Rumors said:

Who'd a thought "night and day" could be characterized as "subtle?"

Depends on your definition of night and day and subtle.

As a stand alone image few, if any, can reliably discern one from the other (I have tried experiments like that and people always fail), as a body of work it is easier. That is why I kept the MkI, I shoot portraits more than I shoot sports.

I have bodies of work and shoot to a brief, if I want sharper, harsher, more contrast etc as a look from a shoot I use the 100L Macro, if I want a subtler look, lower contrast, backlight, etc I use the 70-200 f2.8 IS, but in truth I could do either shoot with either lens.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Mancubus said:
Canon Rumors said:

...because....My 85L f/1.2 II has magic inside that fat little barrel! :p It is an amazing lens, (some people recognize this..some don't)....I will just have to see how the IQ holds up on my new 5D IV I have coming in from Hong Kong this week. With that larger sensor it may show its age...not sure?
I would disagree with with your statement that the difference between the f/1.4 and f/1.2 is insignificant. I would expect the bokeh to be quite a bit better (to me) on the 85L f/1.2 II. We will see...'cause there will be lots of comparison reviews...you can bet that! will love seeing it head-to-head with the Sigma which I really believe is the lens it will be competing with, not the f/1.2. Two completely different animals.
What will be REALLY attractive about the new lens will be most likely lower CA, perhaps greater sharpness and way faster focusing. Seems everything is a compromise.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
YuengLinger said:
Any wild predictions on how much longer the 85 f/1.2 II will be in full service status? That is, eligible for repair by Canon before service life ends? I think they won't produce it much longer once the 1.4 is released, if at all. Just keep it as current until stocks are drawn down.

Canon have always said 7 years, but don't ask me to find the link. Now there may well be discussion on when that date starts and it obviously isn't when the last one is ever sold, so who knows when the clock starts?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
infared said:
...because....My 85L f/1.2 II has magic inside that fat little barrel! :p It is an amazing lens, (some people recognize this..some don't)....

Well I have tried, very hard in the past, to find people that can authoritatively recognize it. And whilst some were very vocal and dismissive nobody I have found has ever been able to consistently and accurately pick the right lens in blind tests.

That isn't saying there is no point to the lens, there absolutely is, but people who claim 'magic' have never once managed to prove it.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
privatebydesign said:
infared said:
...because....My 85L f/1.2 II has magic inside that fat little barrel! :p It is an amazing lens, (some people recognize this..some don't)....

Well I have tried, very hard in the past, to find people that can authoritatively recognize it. And whilst some were very vocal and dismissive nobody I have found has ever been able to consistently and accurately pick the right lens in blind tests.

That isn't saying there is no point to the lens, there absolutely is, but people who claim 'magic' have never once managed to prove it.

Well...your comments are good for one thing. They make me laugh...a LOT!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
infared said:
privatebydesign said:
infared said:

Well...your comments are good for one thing. They make me laugh...a LOT!

Ha, thats what people normally say at this point.

Now show me the "magical" difference at normal viewing distances between two shots taken from the same place, one from a ff camera with an 85 f1.2 @ 1.2 and a one from a crop camera with a 50 f1.4 @ f1.4. Or just crop a ff camera shot with the 50 from the same place, it is the same thing.

Yes there are minuscule differences, but no "magic", and nobody can consistently reliably and accurately tell them apart.

Upvote 0