The Next Lens from Canon Will be an EF-S Prime

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Maximilian said:
Canon Rumors said:
What focal length of EF-S prime would you be interested in?
Something wider than the EF-S 24 pancake.

I don't know if any longer focal length would have an advantage in beeing an EF-S.

Purpose-built lenses for crop -- even if they overlap with what a FF lens could do -- will always have the advantage of being smaller diametrically, i.e. an EF-S 85mm prime to simulate an 136mm FF prime doesn't need to cover an FF image circle and therefore should be smaller/lighter, even if made from the same materials as the FF lens.

Canon doesn't offer such EF-S primes for a host of reasons, though. That's why this announcement is a little surprising. Why is Canon doing a positive thing for the EF-S brand now after neglecting it for so long?

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
EF-S 85mm f/2.4 IS STM. Just to piss off AvTvM. ;)

Seriously, I think an 85mm APS-C lens is a possibility (likely f/2.8, but maybe f/2). It's at the edge of a focal length that will benefit from the smaller image circle, and the current 85/1.8 is 'old' while the 85L is expensive, so an APS-C short tele prime may have a decent market.

LOL. ;D
I would possibly buy it anyways if it were compact and focuses reasonably well with EF-M adapter. ;)

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Canon's EF-S strategy has been pretty consistently creating FoV equivalents to existing EF lenses where there's no "good enough" EF alternative already available.

Let's see what the situation is regarding primes:

EFEqv. ƒCrop alternative
14mm ƒ/2.8L9mmNone
20mm ƒ/2.8L12mmNone
24mm ƒ/2.8,
24mm ƒ/1.4L
15mmNone (unless you count the 14mm/2.8L!)
28mm ƒ/2.818mmNone
35mm ƒ/2.022mmNone (unless you count the 24mm/1.4L!)
40mm ƒ/2.824mmEF-S 24mm ƒ/2.8
50mm ƒ/1.830mmEF 35mm ƒ/2.0 (but current IS version is not cheap!)
EF 28mm ƒ/1.8 (old, not cheap, optically not awesome)
85mm ƒ/1.850mmEF 50mm ƒ/1.8 nifty-fifty
100mm ƒ/2.8 MACRO60mmEF-S 60mm ƒ/2.8 MACRO
135mm ƒ/2L85mmEF 85mm ƒ/1.8

Longer than that, there's practically no advantage in special EF-S glass anymore, it's going to be expensive no matter the size of the image circle.

There's a distinct lack of alternatives for wideangle primes which might tell us something. WA is also the FL region where the smaller image circle matters the most.

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
Interesting move, which can hopefully give us the first real Canon EF-S prime (no specialty lens, no low-cost pancake) after more than 16 years of Canon ASP-C DSLRs existence.

I really miss the classic focal lengths combined with apertures usual for modern primes (2.8 is a good maximum aperture for a zoom, not for a prime) and size kept as small as possible thanks to the smaller image circle.
So my wish-list is quite long and I sorted it on how much I wish each lens to happen:
EF-S 22mm f/1.8 or at least f/2, IS would be great
EF-S 15mm f/2 or at least f/2.4
EF-S 56mm f/1.8 IS
EF-S 85mm f/2 IS

But I am afraid that those commenters that expect a 30 to 35mm one may be right... Maybe Cannon wants to release a new lens in the least needed interval of FLs (the EF 35mm F/2 IS is good and small enough) and sending again the message saying: "You want real primes? Go FF!" (as it did with every new EF-S lens in the past).

Upvote 0
PeterT said:
Interesting move, which can hopefully give us the first real Canon EF-S prime (no specialty lens, no low-cost pancake) after more than 16 years of Canon ASP-C DSLRs existence.

I really miss the classic focal lengths combined with apertures usual for modern primes (2.8 is a good maximum aperture for a zoom, not for a prime) and size kept as small as possible thanks to the smaller image circle.
So my wish-list is quite long and I sorted it on how much I wish each lens to happen:
EF-S 22mm f/1.8 or at least f/2, IS would be great
EF-S 15mm f/2 or at least f/2.4
EF-S 56mm f/1.8 IS
EF-S 85mm f/2 IS

But I am afraid that those commenters that expect a 30 to 35mm one may be right... Maybe Cannon wants to release a new lens in the least needed interval of FLs (the EF 35mm F/2 IS is good and small enough) and sending again the message saying: "You want real primes? Go FF!" (as it did with every new EF-S lens in the past).
Most probably very small lens to complement M users as well. There was a talk about Canon moving 15-45mm kit lens from 18-55mm kit lenses. What happened to this?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Tanispyre said:
I would like it to be a 55mm F-1.2 EF-S. There really isn't a good crop sensor equivalent to a portrait lens.

Fuji makes one -- 56mm f/1.2 -- but they don't have a professional FF platform they are trying to sell you instead like Canon does. ::)

I peg a very low chance for this new EF-S prime to be an L-equivalent-ish large aperture tool.

- A

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
It could very well be a 30mm.
I am not saying it is not a 22mm. Canon did in fact release the EF 24mm, 28mm and 35mm IS USM lenses in 2012 back to back.. But those are full frame. 30mm is more likely tho becuase its more of a 48mm equivalent and Canon does need to fill that gap between the 24 f/2.8 and 40mm f/2.8 STM. Yea the 40mm is FF, but its still a budget STM lens. Canon is not going to make another 50mm since the STM fills that budget line already and is a fantastic lens.
Now could it be wider? Very likely could also be a 20mm. Then again they may even go super wide and release a 8mm linear fisheye.. Would that not be cool.. But.. in reality. Its likely a 30mm to compete with Sigmas junk..

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
ahsanford said:
Tanispyre said:
I would like it to be a 55mm F-1.2 EF-S. There really isn't a good crop sensor equivalent to a portrait lens.

Fuji makes one -- 56mm f/1.2 -- but they don't have a professional FF platform they are trying to sell you instead like Canon does. ::)

I peg a very low chance for this new EF-S prime to be an L-equivalent-ish large aperture tool.

- A

Agreed...

I would have to say tho I would be ecstatic if they tricked us all and released something like a 90mm STM or Nano USM f/2 lens with IS..

Upvote 0