The Next Lens from Canon Will be an EF-S Prime

Posted by: ExodistPhotography
« on: Today at 11:47:16 AM »
Insert Quote
"Now the 17-55 is a whole seperate beast since it was a f/2.8 zoom and other improved optics. Its also why it has hung around so long. This was is considered Enthusiast level lens. Mostly becuase of its optical configuration since it had 2 ultra low dispersion elements which was normally reserved for L lens. The 10-22 also has a UD element. The 17-85 and 15-85 did not."

The 15-85 has 3 aspherical and one UD element. The 15-85 is just as sharp or more sharp than the 17-55.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:
vscd said:
Hey Canon, if you read this spare me with EF-S primes... come up with a real 28mm pancake for Fullframe. I like the 40STM and this would be the streetphotography-killerlens. 24mm would also be great.
I remember reading somewhere, that lenses wider than 35mm (full frame) have to be a retrofocus design, and this makes it impossible the low profile of the pancakes.

However the current EF28mm F2.8 IS remains great, and almost a pancake. So, full frame users can not whine like us, APS-C users, that we do not have any EF-S 17.5mm F2.8 IS.

+1. The 24 and 28mm F2.8 IS lenses are short stacks at around 1.2-1.3 in longer than the pancake. I'd rather they retain the f/2.8 and the IQ in place of a shorter design.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
The Instagram travel/lifestyle folks would love a compact macro for food photography, perhaps an illuminated lens like the one just released for EF-M (28mm f/3.5 IS STM). I've also wondered if that illuminating element (if modified/tweaked/boosted) could serve as illumination for vlogging.

These are just guesses, of course. They may just be updating one of the two existing crop primes, in which case it would surely be the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM.

StudentOfLight said:
I think:
macro lens with built-in lighting system

ExodistPhotography said:
Now the EFS 60mm Macro. I had completely forgot about this lens. This could be the one Canon is updating. It came out in 2005. So its 12yo and due for an update. But I do hope if they make a macro its at least 90mm.. 50-60mm on APS-C is still to close.. I have trouble lighting things sometimes even with a macro ring light..

Um...

Canon Rumors said:
...we do know that it’s not a specialty lens like a macro.

(Sorry to burst a bubble. At least that narrows it down a little).

Upvote 0
I don't think we should poo-poo the idea of a long lens ef-s, as a very major benefit would be the potential for much smaller size/weight.

It also makes sense business-wise for Canon, enabling it to price-stratify the market with a non-L long lens that might take the wind out of the 150-600 third party lens sales, but only apply to the crop sensors.

I'm not actually so optimistic as to think this is likely, but I do think it's sensical. In fact, having a crop version of a long lens makes a lot more sense than having a crop version of a short lens, as the relative benefits are greater.

I have a fantasy of the 7D3 paired in an kit with a 500mm f/5.6 ef-s L IS for $3500-$3800. Oh, and that would be optimized to work with the version III 1.4x teleconverter and exploit the new body's f/8 focusing capabilities. Sigma and Tamron would be back to the drawing board for the long side of the market. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. This is exactly how people become disappointed with Canon.

As was stated above, the advantages with regard to size and weight reductions in EF-S versus EF lenses is much less at telephoto lengths. So you wouldn't get a much smaller or lighter EF-S 500mm lens than an EF one of the same specifications. I suspect if Canon ever produces a 500mm f/5.6, they won't want to cut out so many potential buyers (FF-users).

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
ExodistPhotography said:
Now the EFS 60mm Macro. I had completely forgot about this lens. This could be the one Canon is updating. It came out in 2005. So its 12yo and due for an update. But I do hope if they make a macro its at least 90mm.. 50-60mm on APS-C is still to close.. I have trouble lighting things sometimes even with a macro ring light..

Too close for what? Please don't assume that everyone wants to take macro photos of insects or other tiny things. Probably the major market for the 60mm macro is for product photography - where you need to get just a little bit closer than a standard lens allows.

And, if you want a 100mm macro there are already two good options available, I see no benefit whatsoever in Canon ever doing a >60mm macro just for EF-S.

Jolyon

Upvote 0
Crop cameras are aimed at several groups of customers: beginners (1xxxD), those that can't afford full frame (xxxd, xxd partly), those interested also in video (xxd), and then 7d people, who do sports or animal photography. Which group needs a new prime? My cents are on the first two groups, the beginner segment. After all, what is the general recommendation for your second lens? I think it is mosten often to get a fast standard prime. It will be a 30mm 1.8, and it will be inexpensive.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
BurningPlatform said:
Crop cameras are aimed at several groups of customers: beginners (1xxxD), those that can't afford full frame (xxxd, xxd partly), those interested also in video (xxd), and then 7d people, who do sports or animal photography.

My impression is xxxxD cameras are a just a way to squeeze the last few dollars out of existing manufacturing facilities.

E.g. the 1000D got the 400D's 10MP sensor, when the 450D got the 12MP sensor, and the 50D got the 15MP sensor. Then the 1100D got the 15MP sensor when 600D & 60D got the 18MP sensor. Same with the AF sensors. Just keeping the manufacturing facilities running to make a cheap camera someone would buy.

The xxxD is the entry level line, the xxD for those who can't afford FF, 7D for the pros who need the extra reach of higher pixel density.

BurningPlatform said:
Which group needs a new prime? My cents are on the first two groups, the beginner segment. After all, what is the general recommendation for your second lens? I think it is mosten often to get a fast standard prime. It will be a 30mm 1.8, and it will be inexpensive.

If an xxxxD body owner is savvy enough to buy a prime, I think he'll upgrade the camera as well.

IMHO, the prime aims mainly at xxD & xxxD owners.

Upvote 0

PeterT

EOS 80D
Jan 19, 2017
BurningPlatform said:
Crop cameras are aimed at several groups of customers: beginners (1xxxD), those that can't afford full frame (xxxd, xxd partly), those interested also in video (xxd), and then 7d people, who do sports or animal photography.

I think that you miss another important group: beginners or enthusiast (xxxD or xxD users) who like the smaller size of bodies and lenses and the OVF.

They and do not want to "upgrade" to bigger, heavier and much more expensive ones (even if some of them could afford it) just because for them it would not be an upgrade (i.e. enhancing) in parameters they like (size, weight, price). And they also do not want to upgrade to a mirrorless system because they like the OVF or they have some collection of Canon lenses.

Those would like to use reasonably small (smallest possible with good IQ, but not pancake, I like the "cupcake lens" idea of ajfotofilmagem from this thread) but fast (not more than f/2.0) primes to be useful when the zoom cannot perform either because it is not fast enough or not enough IQ or they just want to have a lighter and smaller lens.

It seems to be ridiculous that, for example, the micro four thirds has a full range of "native" AF primes (from 24mm to 150mm equivalent) with f <= 2.0, even in several quality levels, but Canon still has only the arrogant answer "go FF if you want primes".

For longer FLs (>= 30mm physical) there are some reasonable FF lenses to use (and even the Sigma 30mm APS-C lens) and the dedicated EF-S one could not be that much smaller, I think. But there are *none* reasonable primes for 22mm and 15mm (35mm and 24mm equivalent) to use for crop bodies, not to speak about the UWA territory (12mm, 10mm, ...).
So the question for me is whether Canon will go on with arrogance and will introduce another 30-35mm prime, or they will change their attitude and will finally fill, at least partly, the big gap of WA and UWA fast primes for EF-S.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
So what's a "specialty lens" anyway? If you think about it, they are all specialty lenses of sorts. Wide primes, standard primes, telephoto primes, macro primes, big fast primes, small slow primes. Or is it a lens of the most limited use, like huge super telephoto, MP-E 65 super macro, tilt-shift, or fish-eye?
Does "not a specialty lens" means it's nothing special (the least special :) ), like slow standard prime? Which would make little sense, because there is enough of those already (24/2.8, 28/2.8, 40/2.8 ).

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
"specialty lens" in the context of EF-M lenses simply means "no macro lens" since any other category of specialty lens from super-tele to tilt-shift to apodization filter or MP65-micro lens would make little to no sense in Digital Rebel land populated by crop sensors.

yes, it will be a rather pedestrian, small, optically decent, boring, cheap, tiny consumer lens with plastic mount - most likely a EF-S 35/2.0 STM or at best f/1.8.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the next new non-kit lens Canon will announce is an EF-S prime. We weren’t told what focal length the new EF-S prime lens would be, but we do know that it’s not a specialty lens like a macro.</p>
<p>We’ve also been told that we may see a new EF-S 18-55 kit lens alongside the new Rebel next month.</p>
<p>What focal length of EF-S prime would you be interested in?</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

For me a 15mm f/2.8 prime with IS.

The 24mm ef-s is a nice "normal" lens - but if you want wide angle for night shots - there is not much around - affordable.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
andrei1989 said:
vangelismm said:
Anything bellow 20mm and canon can have my money.

i would say below 17...17-18-20 si not wide at all on crop..

a cheap ultra-wide (10-12-14 mm) with 2.8/2 aperture, no IS would be great :)

I'm with you.... A 15mm would be hard to resist, a 10mm means a pre-order.....

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Looking at amazon USA, the top lens are #1 canon 50mm STM followed by Nikon's 35mm 1.8 DX.

EF-S is still IMO, mass consumer / low-prosumer as far as canon's point of view, for the majority of users out there. probably even more so now that the full frame selection has been expanded on.

people have been crying for a normal lens for EF-S for the longest of times, Nikon's is selling very well. hard not to draw a conclusion from that.

I would be very surprised if we don't get a EF-S 30/35mm STM

Upvote 0
andrei1989 said:
at which focal length...length...does the smaller image circle cancel any weight/size advantages?
For WIDE ANGLE, lenses shorter than 24mm (38mm in full frame) need to be retrofocal design, and they are no longer as compact as pancakes.
For TELE OBJECTIVE, longer than 200mm the advantage of size and weight in APS-C is lost, because of the inevitably large front element.

Upvote 0