The RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS is coming soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like the next RF lens to hit the market will be the RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS, a lens that will be highly desirable to Canon EOS R shooters.
The RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS will come kitted with the Canon EOS RP body as well, which is a likely pair for a lot of shooters.
Pricing for the lens and EOS RP kit have yet to leak.
Along with the lens and kit, lens hood EW-78F is also coming.

Continue reading...

Interested to see what the image quality is on this. If it's at least a full frame comparable equivalent to their 'nifty 250' I think a lot of RP kits will be sold this Christmas, especially if they can get the MSRP for the kit at something around 1499 or so and the RP itself to 1099.

This is the kit combo that would make it into every Target, Best Buy and Costco.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is great but will Canon have anything affordable for long lens shooters or just the 100-400? At least in EF mount one could use an APS-C body but now we only have FF with low pixel density.
Short answer, I'm betting nothing will come on EF but maybe RF. Long answer to follow:

Canon doesn't seem to want to stray from f/5.6 at the most narrow on EF as it would impact focusing success on some lower end bodies. In fact, I think the long offerings from Sigma and Tamron actually trick the autofocus system into believing that their most narrow aperture is 5.6 and not the actual 6.3 that it is, but that can impact focus success in lower light. Since the focus system on most Canon cameras has a lot of f/5.6 autofocus points, but few or no f/8 autofocus points, I suspect that any f/6.3 Canon-manufactured lenses are out of the question for EF. A long zoom with f/5.6 at its most narrow gets really big really fast, and there's a lot of competition out there from third party manufacturers so it may not be worth it for Canon to bother trying to compete. If Canon released a direct competitor to the Sigma/Tamron, it would be huge to get the f/5.6 they'd want and it would likely need to be a fair bit more expensive. I'd point to the Nikon 200-500 - it hits the f/5.6 threshold, but it's still 100mm shy of the offerings from Sigma/Tamron and weighs half a pound more. I think Canon has bet that there aren't enough people who would choose their expensive offering over the Sigma/Tamron reasonably priced offerings, especially if they had to settle for 500mm instead of 600mm.

With that said, the EOS R can focus at f/11, so those f/6.3s shouldn't be as limiting on RF as on EF. On the M system Canon has moved away from that f/5.6 threshold (i.e. the EF-M 15-45 f/3.5-6.3), so it stands to reason that they could do the same on RF. Further, I'm not sure the third party manufacturers have been able to reverse engineer the RF mount protocol, so I don't think they can make an RF mount super zoom with autofocus yet (other than having users just use the adapter), so Canon may arguably have less competition on super zooms for RF which may make building such a lens more attractive to them. It's possible, but if they do it I'll bet that the quality wouldn't meet the 100-400, and it will be expensive as hell because there's no competition.

Probably not the answer people want to hear, but that's my thinking for the little that it's worth!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Short answer, I'm betting nothing will come on EF but maybe RF. Long answer to follow:

Canon doesn't seem to want to stray from f/5.6 at the most narrow on EF as it would impact focusing success on some lower end bodies. In fact, I think the long offerings from Sigma and Tamron actually trick the autofocus system into believing that their most narrow aperture is 5.6 and not the actual 6.3 that it is, but that can impact focus success in lower light. Since the focus system on most Canon cameras has a lot of f/5.6 autofocus points, but few or no f/8 autofocus points, I suspect that any f/6.3 Canon-manufactured lenses are out of the question for EF. A long zoom with f/5.6 at its most narrow gets really big really fast, and there's a lot of competition out there from third party manufacturers so it may not be worth it for Canon to bother trying to compete. If Canon released a direct competitor to the Sigma/Tamron, it would be huge to get the f/5.6 they'd want and it would likely need to be a fair bit more expensive. I'd point to the Nikon 200-500 - it hits the f/5.6 threshold, but it's still 100mm shy of the offerings from Sigma/Tamron and weighs half a pound more. I think Canon has bet that there aren't enough people who would choose their expensive offering over the Sigma/Tamron reasonably priced offerings, especially if they had to settle for 500mm instead of 600mm.

With that said, the EOS R can focus at f/11, so those f/6.3s shouldn't be as limiting on RF as on EF. On the M system Canon has moved away from that f/5.6 threshold (i.e. the EF-M 15-45 f/3.5-6.3), so it stands to reason that they could do the same on RF. Further, I'm not sure the third party manufacturers have been able to reverse engineer the RF mount protocol, so I don't think they can make an RF mount super zoom with autofocus yet (other than having users just use the adapter), so Canon may arguably have less competition on super zooms for RF which may make building such a lens more attractive to them. It's possible, but if they do it I'll bet that the quality wouldn't meet the 100-400, and it will be expensive as hell because there's no competition.

Probably not the answer people want to hear, but that's my thinking for the little that it's worth!

I really want to stay with Canon but at the moment Sony seems incredibly attractive with the 200-600 paired with A7R3 and a tiny A6300/6400 for backup.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It won't be expensive as hell if they want to sell RP kits through Costco.
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting the RP kitted with the 24-240 would be expensive has hell, I was suggesting that an RF 150-600 - or something else comparable to the Tamron/Sigma offerings would be expensive as hell. The comment I was responding to was asking whether or not Canon would ever release something akin to the Sigma/Tamron (or I guess now Sony too) offerings. I agree, the RP with the 24-240 will be very reasonably priced, and may come down if Nikon does release a sub-$1000 full frame body.

Upvote 0
I really want to stay with Canon but at the moment Sony seems incredibly attractive with the 200-600 paired with A7R3 and a tiny A6300/6400 for backup.
Hey, ya gotta go with what suits your need. If you have to switch, you have to switch.

Canon is anything but fast when it comes to releasing products and if you wait for Canon to release a product that they haven't announced, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment. I think about all the people who've waited for a 7D III hearing the suggestion that it is never coming - what a frustration that could be for them if they were holding off replacing a damaged camera.

I think the bottom line is if your kit isn't giving you what you need right now, then choosing the kit that meets your needs now makes sense. If your current kit is "good enough" and you're just interesting upgrading because the current system is getting a bit worn out or you'd like some new features but don't plan on depending on them, then patience is a virtue. If you're not out taking pictures because the current camera can't do it, then forget waiting - get a new system right away: loyalty is for chumps.

I've stuck with Canon for some time now not because I love Canon and want to see the company succeed - I stick around because my system delivers everything I need and more, I'm really comfortable with my kit and have a ton of trust in it, and the results it generates satisfy my expectations. The day my needs change is the day I move to whatever camera best suits those needs.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is an RF, not EF lens. Also, the 24mm end provides a view bordering on ultra wide angle (by definition), while the 35mm is standard view at best. For an everyday or travel lens, this is a huge benefit.
It also pretty more or less matches the ef 18-135 on a crop camera, which is pretty nice kit lens. On an 80d the 18-135 is equivalent to a 28-216, so the 24-240 is just a bit wider and just a bit longer. With the extra light gathered with a full fame lens the real world use case between the low end and high end is negligible.

Upvote 0