The RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS is coming soon

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I've yet to buy in to the R system; I'm sure that, at some point, I will.

My family and I are all-in on Canon's M system--and I've found Canon's EF-M 18-150mm to be a very useful travel tool, when paired with the M6.

...would be nice if it were a bit wider, though. The R 24-240mm would accomplish that.

Size-and-weight-and-volume, though, seem to matter to many posting here--Sony's FE 24-240 is certainly not tiny.

I look forward to seeing Canon's effort here...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Don, have you ever taken a several days trip and camped on the bank? Just wondering. I've thought about canoeing the length of the Mississippi river in a big expedition type canoe.
There is a book called “Paddle to the Amazon” which has a good section on the Mississippi. I met the author, quite the nutcase, but makes for a great story.....

I have done up to 4 week trips, but the Mississippi will be a lot longer. Rather than a big expedition canoe, what about a touring kayak? Lots of room for gear and easier to paddle. Personally, with company I prefer canoes, but when solo prefer a kayak, unless the purpose of the paddle is photography, in which case I prefer a canoe and carry a big pelican case for the gear

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
There is a book called “Paddle to the Amazon” which has a good section on the Mississippi. I met the author, quite the nutcase, but makes for a great story.....

I have done up to 4 week trips, but the Mississippi will be a lot longer. Rather than a big expedition canoe, what about a touring kayak? Lots of room for gear and easier to paddle. Personally, with company I prefer canoes, but when solo prefer a kayak, unless the purpose of the paddle is photography, in which case I prefer a canoe and carry a big pelican case for the gear
I fear I am far too top heavy for a kayak. ;) Have you written about your trips? +10 on the Pelican case.

Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not sure I really get the point of a 24-240 for the EOS R or RP... Surely the point of going Full-Frame is to get the best possible quality? If you want to travel light, surely an M50 EOS 200/250D would do the job?

I have the 200D and the EF-S Canon 18-135mm IS STM. When I travelled overseas for 3 months last year, I only took this lens. It was a great travel kit. Since then, I've added the 55-250mm IS STM & 24mm STM. I'm considering the 10-18 as well. It takes great photos but I find the 9 point OVF AF points quite limiting. The central one (cross-type, and there's only one of them) is the only one which reliably works for me.

I'd be very interested in an RP and 24-240. The 24-240 is pretty much the same as the crop 18-135 which I use most often, FF, a better AF system, uses the same batteries as the 200D, and my existing EF-S lenses can be adapted, at least in the short-term until I could afford to fill out the range with other (faster) RF lenses. :) Very tempting package, especially if the price comes down a bit more.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I have the 200D and the EF-S Canon 18-135mm IS STM. When I travelled overseas for 3 months last year, I only took this lens. It was a great travel kit. Since then, I've added the 55-250mm IS STM & 24mm STM. I'm considering the 10-18 as well. It takes great photos but I find the 9 point OVF AF points quite limiting. The central one (cross-type, and there's only one of them) is the only one which reliably works for me.

I'd be very interested in an RP and 24-240. The 24-240 is pretty much the same as the crop 18-135 which I use most often, FF, a better AF system, uses the same batteries as the 200D, and my existing EF-S lenses can be adapted, at least in the short-term until I could afford to fill out the range with other (faster) RF lenses. :) Very tempting package, especially if the price comes down a bit more.
Your existing EF-S lenses were not designed to cover full frame sensor image circle. I am sorry to give you a bad news. Unless you are happy to live with a very heavy vignetting your EF-S lenses introduce when shooting on a full frame cameras.
Not sure if one can fit an EF-S lens to the EF to RF adaptor at this stage.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM at f/6.3 1/100 ISO400 @ 18mm. Smaller coverage than the full frame sensor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
our existing EF-S lenses were not designed to cover full frame sensor image circle. I am sorry to give you a bad news. Unless you are happy to live with a very heavy vignetting your EF-S lenses introduce when shooting on a full frame cameras.

"Canon’s EF-EOS R mount adapter gives you the flexibility to shoot with any EF or EF-S lens on an EOS R mirrorless camera."

"All lens functions of EF and EF-S lenses are supported when shooting with the adapter so there is no loss of AF speed or Image Stabilization ability"

"Stepping up from a Canon EOS APS-C crop sensor camera? The EF-EOS R Mount adapter will allow you to use your EF-S lenses on an EOS R mirrorless camera."

There's no vignetting as when the R/RP senses an EF-S lens it effectively turns the sensor into APS-C. We can debate the merits of using EF-S on FF, but at the moment I may be able to afford an RP + adapter, but not an RP and a suite of new EF/RF glass. That will come later.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
Amazon is selling the EF 24-105 f3.5-5.6 for $383, which you can adapt to the R mount. Other than that, you may have to wait a while. Some places have been bundling the EF 24-105 F3.5-5.6 with the RP.
No such bundle in Europe and adapter is still another interface between lens and camera. A native lens will be infinitely better.

Upvote 0
It also pretty more or less matches the ef 18-135 on a crop camera, which is pretty nice kit lens. On an 80d the 18-135 is equivalent to a 28-216, so the 24-240 is just a bit wider and just a bit longer. With the extra light gathered with a full fame lens the real world use case between the low end and high end is negligible.
Just a bit ist right if you look a the pure numbers. But the difference between 15mm and 18mm @APS-C is huge. I had the 15-85 on a 7D and it was great for City-Trips, with the 18-135 I have to take the 10-18 (or 10-22) with me all the Time.

If it is reasonably priced the RP/24-240 Bundle could be a huge Boost in RP Sales. For me it could be the starter...
(And combined with the 50/1,8, 100L, and 70-300 a reasonable priced allroundpackage.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No such bundle in Europe and adapter is still another interface between lens and camera. A native lens will be infinitely better.
Not true. All the adapter does is replace the "space" between the lens and sensor that is lost switching to R/RP from EF. There is no glass element to interfere. There is no loss of image quality. So infinitely better? Not at all. It is the same.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
Not true. All the adapter does is replace the "space" between the lens and sensor that is lost switching to R/RP from EF. There is no glass element to interfere. There is no loss of image quality. So infinitely better? Not at all. It is the same.
Ok, not infinitely better. The adapter not having optics isn't solution to ither issues such as:
  • Additional interface which may break, may have imperfections, may bend, and have 2 more sets of pins which increase probability of failure.
  • Increased length. This is bothersome to me because I cannot put adapter + 70-200mm f4 L IS vertically into my favourite bag. Plus, with long glass I am scared to put camera+lens in and pull out of the bag.
  • Although AF accuracy is excellent, the adapter doesn't work well with some of my lenses (like 100mm f2.8 Macro and 85mm f1.8 USM). Some lenses also focus slower with adapter (compared to my 7D).
I am using many of my EF lenses on Eos R with the adapter and it is usually OK. Here, Canon's target should be, to sell RP + RF kit lens to newbies or inexperienced APS-C users or EF users (or anyone) who want a simple solution. An additional device is almost always negative for these people.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I use my EF lenses with adapter, but native RF lenses are able to have a larger rear element which decreases the angle at which light rays strike the sensor. That is better, less light fall off at the edges and less distortion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I use my EF lenses with adapter, but native RF lenses are able to have a larger rear element which decreases the angle at which light rays strike the sensor. That is better, less light fall off at the edges and less distortion.

Have you actually measured the largest rear element possible for both RF and EF lenses? I measured the rear elements of three of my EF lenses and they were all 37 to 38mm in diameter. The limiting factor seems to be the location of the communications/power pins on the back of the lens, relative to the lens' optical center.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Your existing EF-S lenses were not designed to cover full frame sensor image circle. I am sorry to give you a bad news. Unless you are happy to live with a very heavy vignetting your EF-S lenses introduce when shooting on a full frame cameras.
No problem using EF-S on RF with the adapter (other than the crop) I have not seen any signs of vignetting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0