The RF mount “Holy Trinity” should be ready to ship before the end of July 2019 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve pretty much confirmed that the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM will be officially announced and available for preorder on or around May 9, 2019.
We’ve been asking around about an official announcement date for the “holy trinity” RF mount zoom lenses, as these three lenses will likely be quite popular. The three lenses are the RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM.
We’re told that all three “should” be officially announced and available at the same time, and likely before the end of July 2019.
There has been nothing said about when we can expect the RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM or the RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM to arrive.
As always with lenses, delays in shipping are quite common, so what may be correct information today, can change tomorrow.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I can understand calling them a "trinity". The "Holy" part of this reference is strange. ;) Besides, in my religion the trinity is zooms... 11-24, 24-70, 70-200
Blasphemy! ;):p You cant have an f4 in there!! Bring out the Spanish Inquisition!

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I agree, but I am torn between overlap (16-35, 24-70) and aperture. It's killing me. ;)

Get both :)…it is not worth dying over. :LOL:

More seriously, I own both the EF versions. For me, they serve different purposes, so while there is overlap in focal length, there really is not overlap in when I want to use one or the other.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It seems to me that since the introduction of the mid-line R mirrorless and RP that we would see f4 series L lenses first?...

It seems more like history is repeating itself. Canon introduced their first round of f/2.8L EF zooms in 1989, leading up to their professional body later that same year, presumably to ensure there was desirable glass available for pros to buy on day 1. Given how hard they're pushing the lens front, I think it's a safe bet a 1-series RF body will be showing up sooner rather than later (many months not years).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It seems to me that since the introduction of the mid-line R mirrorless and RP that we would see f4 series L lenses first? I understand Canons approach to addressing these larger aperture L lenses first, but there is no R camera let available that will more fully make use of the resolving potential of these lenses.

Canon clearly believes that Pros need to be convinced that top RF lenses are a priority, otherwise why pay attention to mirrorless. There's no doubt that a high end body is on the way.

I have the opposite problem. I am becoming convinced that Canon does not intend to serve the needs of small, one-man-band, mixed media content creators. Sony and Panasonic are leading there.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
It seems more like history is repeating itself. Canon introduced their first round of f/2.8L EF zooms in 1989, leading up to their professional body later that same year, presumably to ensure there was desirable glass available for pros to buy on day 1. Given how hard they're pushing the lens front, I think it's a safe bet a 1-series RF body will be showing up sooner rather than later (many months not years).
The 28-80 f/2.8-4 was introduced several months before the EOS-1 body but the 20-35 f/2.8 and 80-200 f/2.8 were introduced simultaneously with the body. Nikon introduced their trinity simultaneously with the D3 in August 2007.

Correction: The 20-35 f/2.8 was introduced a month after the EOS-1 body. The 50 f/1.0 and 85 f/1.2 lenses were introduced simultaneously with the body.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
And yet there is no camera of the same level to put them on... :oops:
Some people who don't know any better will put them on an R or even an RP. They might not even upgrade if and when a camera of the same level comes along, whatever that means. Either the chicken or the egg has to come first.

Upvote 0