The RF mount “Holy Trinity” should be ready to ship before the end of July 2019 [CR2]

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Exactly. I keep reading that canon has no pro body to go with the pro lenses. But unless you are shooting weddings (and need two cars slots) or shooting mainly sports the R is a pro camera. Or are those the only two pro genres now? Cause studio, portraits, fashion, landscape, baby, maternity/pregnancy etc etc, the R can do all of those without issue.

There was a time that people were saying that the A7II and the A7RII could be used professionally... and the R is a step above both of those (except when it comes to MP compared to the R).

I dare say no serious professional is making such silly claims. The EOS R is a pro level body (unless we only consider weapons like the 1DX2 as "Pro"). The 5D bodies are THE overwhelming choice for actual, full time professionals. And the EOS R is quite evidently a MILC version of the 5D4, right down to the sensor and magnesium body, plus a newer CPU. The sole sticking point seems to be lack of a second slot. Ok. I get it.

Yes, The Alphas have traditionally been built to lesser build quality/reliability standards vs Canon. It's why they took so long to even start to catch on in actual pro circles (not that they have yet in any meaningful way). MP aren't a measure of "Pro" anyway. And the reason most Pros like full time wedding shooters don't want 40+ MP is because it creates more harm than good when you shoot a few thousands frames every weekend or twice a weekend. Meanwhile, the end products they produce these days are more digital than print. The extra resolve is costing more time and money to process and store while offering no comparable advantage to make it worth while. I hardly ever reach for my 5DSR. With files from 50-70MP per shutter actuation, it can be a PITA to deal with on big shoots. It tends to stay tucked away for critical studio or fine art projects.

The rumors of Canon making a 60-70MP EOS R PRO... ok. Good for them! I hope they sell a lot of them! But not to me.

I'll spin the broken record again here and wish aloud to see the day Canon makes a 12-15MP FF EOS R geared for video, akin to the Sony a7S, with a FF VIDEO capacity, pixel for pixel, no binning. Canon could do that much better than Sony if they opted to.

Then coming back to all this RF glass, it becomes even better, because right now I'm looking at the 15-35 RF 2.8 just to get a "normal" field of view zoom to contend with that 1.75x crop.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Some people who don't know any better will put them on an R or even an RP. They might not even upgrade if and when a camera of the same level comes along, whatever that means. Either the chicken or the egg has to come first.

I think I know better :D, the R 70-200 is very compact yet 2.8 aperture and with IS. Probably less volume than my EF 70-200 L IS 4.0 with adapter, and on par with my favorite travel zoom the 70-300 DO (I know, everybody hates it, but despite being much berated it is highly portable) in terms of practicality. And I have an RP (for now) which takes gorgeous pictures today, waiting to be blown out of the water when the promised R body finally arrives in 2020.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
And yet there is no camera of the same level to put them on... :oops:
What is "same level"? Eos R is almost mirrorless 5D IV and it even has some advantages (like zero AF error).
I used several Canon L lenses with 5D, 5D II, 5D III and 5D IV. Now I use Eos R and I am more than happy. If I can use holy trinity with the first 5D, what is wrong with using them with Eos R?
You can use these lenses with any body. Even EOS RP.

Upvote 0
Some people who don't know any better will put them on an R or even an RP. They might not even upgrade if and when a camera of the same level comes along, whatever that means. Either the chicken or the egg has to come first.
Just because you can afford to shell out for the best lenses AND the best camera doesn’t mean we all can.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I dare say no serious professional is making such silly claims. The EOS R is a pro level body (unless we only consider weapons like the 1DX2 as "Pro"). The 5D bodies are THE overwhelming choice for actual, full time professionals. And the EOS R is quite evidently a MILC version of the 5D4, right down to the sensor and magnesium body, plus a newer CPU. The sole sticking point seems to be lack of a second slot. Ok. I get it...

I really would love to see a legitimate survey of actual professionals who routinely use dual card slots. I have the strong suspicion that it is a little like AFMA. Something that most pros admit they should probably do, but few ever take the time to do it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I really would love to see a legitimate survey of actual professionals who routinely use dual card slots. I have the strong suspicion that it is a little like AFMA. Something that most pros admit they should probably do, but few ever take the time to do it.

There is a core who do, but i suspect most don't.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
My two cents (which is like worthless cryptocurrency) is that the term holy in regards to lenses is reserved for Primes. Sure, folks adopted it for zooms much later but you could argue there is a holy trinity of filters, tripods or software suites for that matter. I really have no issue being old school, curmudgeonly or stubborn. YMMV

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Except that dual slots don't cost time. ;) One card just stays nearly permanent in the camera.

Upvote 0
Well, as has already been pointed out, there is that card slot issue.
You know, in 10 years professional shooting (architecture) I've never once had a card failure. I have had a circuit board replaced and a T-S mechanism, but that's it. I'm using a one-card R now all the time, my 5Div gathers dust as a back-up now. Maybe I should be losing sleep. I am probably going to start using an iPad and Canon Connect, but mainly so clients can 'look over my shoulder' without bumping the tripod.

Upvote 0

Fleetie

Watching for pigs on the wing
Nov 22, 2010
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I'm sure these lenses will all be stellar.

I was thinking "How much?", and my very rough guess is about £2500+ per lens.

The upcoming "Pro"-level R-series camera will probably be at least £4500.

So for that camera and the 3 lenses, we're talking around £12000.

Very nice kit, but out of my range as a non-professional.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform, though.

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2019
I'm super geeked that these lenses could be available so soon. I was preparing myself for a long summer of being "stuck" with the 24-105. I'm all in on that chubbster of a 70-200.

Also, y'all talking about "wasting" good lenses on non-pro bodies are so cringy. Go be wrong somewhere else. Maybe check out a YouTube comment section or find a forum that drools over some sensor charts or something. The real fool is someone who buys a +$2000 body and then slaps bad lenses on it.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

maves

24mm TS-e ii is life!
Sep 21, 2017
Tasmania
You know, in 10 years professional shooting (architecture) I've never once had a card failure. I have had a circuit board replaced and a T-S mechanism, but that's it. I'm using a one-card R now all the time, my 5Div gathers dust as a back-up now. Maybe I should be losing sleep. I am probably going to start using an iPad and Canon Connect, but mainly so clients can 'look over my shoulder' without bumping the tripod.

I shoot mainly Architecture too, so I'm looking to upgrade my 5Diii to an R. Glad to hear it's working for you. Drop in filters behind TS lenses is a game changer. I've toyed with holding out for the high res version, but even A1 prints from my 5Diii have been more than acceptable for professional and public exhibition. I feel like it's only the amateurs who are like "I would be so much better if my camera had X"

Quality SD cards are actually one of the more reliable parts in the camera set up. I would have a back up body and lights before I stressed about a back up memory card. People shot for years on D700's and 5Dii's and it was never an issue. Dual cards were introduced more for overflow and not having to change cards when card capacities were a lot lower. The idea of redundancy was really only an afterthought.

Upvote 0