The RF mount “Holy Trinity” should be ready to ship before the end of July 2019 [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Where the hell is the 300 f/2.8L IS III and 500 f/4L IS III, the only thing that realy matters. Will they wait 5 years and only make RF version while they make some mythical R sports camera that can shoot fast action at more than 3fps with tracking.
Don't know about your 300mm, but Sony has declared that anything above 400mm is too beau-coup.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I shoot mainly Architecture too, so I'm looking to upgrade my 5Diii to an R. Glad to hear it's working for you. Drop in filters behind TS lenses is a game changer. I've toyed with holding out for the high res version, but even A1 prints from my 5Diii have been more than acceptable for professional and public exhibition. I feel like it's only the amateurs who are like "I would be so much better if my camera had X"

Quality SD cards are actually one of the more reliable parts in the camera set up. I would have a back up body and lights before I stressed about a back up memory card. People shot for years on D700's and 5Dii's and it was never an issue. Dual cards were introduced more for overflow and not having to change cards when card capacities were a lot lower. The idea of redundancy was really only an afterthought.
Yeah the drop-in polarizer is really wonderful—though I'd still be tempted to scrap the 17 TS for a sharp 14 mm, if one comes available. As for memory, I just ordered a new SD card for $20 just so I've got a fresh one. I don't need blazing speed (buildings almost never move very fast) so the cards are really cheap.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Or, they could've announced them together. This isn't the late 80's, and there's a wide variety of options out there. Canon can do what they want, of course, but for those of us that are looking for pro-options for a body (honestly, I would've bought an R if it had 2 card slots), Canon is being very tight-lipped and not giving us a reason to buy into their new lens system yet.

Introducing that many new products at the same time is a logistics nightmare. A big part of the exact date a new product ships to end users has to do with assuring that adequate quantities of a new product are staged at various places on six continents (as far as I know, no authorized Canon dealer is located in Antarctica).

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Well, then, you might be right. I don’t remember what Canon’s approach was regarding the two-tiered L lenses when they were just making SLRs. It may have been the same. Build the larger aperture lenses first, then the f4 series L lenses later?

It was more of a "build the longer focal length L lenses first while building the shorter focal length mid/consumer grade lenses."

There wasn't a 24mm or 35mm "L" prime in the EF mount until December 1997 and December 1998, respectively.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
And the 70-200! How heavy? filter size? length? I'd love to stand it upright in a case...

No one (other than those on the inside at Canon) know how much it will weigh. But based on the samples (mockups?) they've put on display at recent trade shows (in a "you can look but don't touch" scenario), it's going to be a an extending zoom that is much shorter at 70mm and about the same length at 200mm as the EF versions when the difference in registration distances is taken into account.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I don´t know if someone has made the reference yet....but these are the lenses that are already listed in a retailer in EU:
  • 15-35 F2.8 IS L
  • 24-70 F2.8 IS L
  • 24-240 F4-6.3 IS USM
  • 70-200 F2.8 IS L
  • 85 F1.2 L
  • 85 F1.2 USM DS L
Prices are not yet available.

Ohh and btw, my holy (f++ckng pricey) trinity is my 500mm!! :)
They're listing the 24-240?! And both versions of the 85 F1.2. Maybe there will be an announcement about these at the same time as the Trinity? Or possibly just listing everything as clickbait ...

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Dual cards were introduced more for overflow and not having to change cards when card capacities were a lot lower. The idea of redundancy was really only an afterthought.

Well that's just your conjecture. If that was the case we'd have had dual-CF or dual-SD from the outset instead of a mix of the two types.

It's not just about card failure in the camera, but also in the reader. Keep one in the camera and feed the other into the PC.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
They're listing the 24-240?! And both versions of the 85 F1.2. Maybe there will be an announcement about these at the same time as the Trinity? Or possibly just listing everything as clickbait ...
No way it´s clickbait, this is one of the biggest retailers in Europe, it´s very, very credible, so this lenses are coming out soon.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Don't know about your 300mm, but Sony has declared that anything above 400mm is too beau-coup.
Sony must have meant "400mm rain-column", an empirical testing method used by tent manufacturers to check how much rain a tent can stand.
Guess you read it in their brand-new forum "Sony Leaks" :ROFLMAO:.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Well, as has already been pointed out, there is that card slot issue.
This single card slot is a complete red herring. Ive shot 79,000 shots on a Canon 6D, 42,000 on a Canon 6D MKII and around 8,000 on the EOS R. Ive shot around 50,000 on a 5DS in every card case and with multiple SD cards (I rarely use the CF card in the 5DS) Ive never had a failure but more importantly never risked taking one camera body to an important shoot. Ive had the mode dial go wrong on the 6D MKII and the remote socket on the 6D all reasons to have to swap out the body because of what I was trying to shoot.

As to your comments about "not being a professional camera in the R line-up". Well we have 20 EOS R cameras in rental with to date 64% utilisation which allowing for turn-arounds is pretty high, equal to the 5D MKIV and above the 1D X MKII. They are mainly being used as second cameras by Pros (as are the 5D MKIV) but still have plenty of use so in my mind that makes it a "professional tool". Ive a friend with a 5D MKIV and a 6D MKII who is a wedding photographer both cameras get equal use and he doesn't fret about a single card slot on the 6D MKII.
Not everyone who makes a living from photography is a sports photographer, or shoots wild life or fast jets. The majority of professional photography is fashion, portraits, products & food most of which doesn't need a fast frame rate.

The EOS R is not perfect (Ive yet to find a pro that likes the Touch Bar & prefers the toggle switch), but the images are equal to those from the 5D MKIV in a much lighter package. Now if you were to mention the electronic viewfinder as opposed to optical I can think of a number of situations where optical is superior and where when Canon get to do a R version of a 5D MKIV, 5DS, 1D X MKII they will need to improve or eliminate the lag when you take a shot in the viewfinder.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
My small math exercise (in GBP):
  • Cost of R ~ 2k
  • Estimated cost of new trinity ~ 7k
  • Estimated value of old 5D IV ~1.5k
  • Estimated value of old trinity (Mk.III and 24-70Mk. II) ~ 4k
I don't doubt that R with new trinity will be great. But will it be £3.5k greater than existing setup? Considering that my trinity is probably worth less than 2k (16-35/f4, 70-200/2.8 Mk.II and Tamron 24-70/2.8 G1), the upgrade path will be ~ £5.5k. Will it be worth it for enthusiast? I don't think so.

Adapter makes it more affordable because I can still use existing EF lenses but my motivation to upgrade would be lenses, not the camera.

Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
This single card slot is a complete red herring. Ive shot 79,000 shots on a Canon 6D, 42,000 on a Canon 6D MKII and around 8,000 on the EOS R. Ive shot around 50,000 on a 5DS in every card case and with multiple SD cards (I rarely use the CF card in the 5DS) Ive never had a failure but more importantly never risked taking one camera body to an important shoot. Ive had the mode dial go wrong on the 6D MKII and the remote socket on the 6D all reasons to have to swap out the body because of what I was trying to shoot.

As to your comments about "not being a professional camera in the R line-up". Well we have 20 EOS R cameras in rental with to date 64% utilisation which allowing for turn-arounds is pretty high, equal to the 5D MKIV and above the 1D X MKII. They are mainly being used as second cameras by Pros (as are the 5D MKIV) but still have plenty of use so in my mind that makes it a "professional tool". Ive a friend with a 5D MKIV and a 6D MKII who is a wedding photographer both cameras get equal use and he doesn't fret about a single card slot on the 6D MKII.
Not everyone who makes a living from photography is a sports photographer, or shoots wild life or fast jets. The majority of professional photography is fashion, portraits, products & food most of which doesn't need a fast frame rate.

The EOS R is not perfect (Ive yet to find a pro that likes the Touch Bar & prefers the toggle switch), but the images are equal to those from the 5D MKIV in a much lighter package. Now if you were to mention the electronic viewfinder as opposed to optical I can think of a number of situations where optical is superior and where when Canon get to do a R version of a 5D MKIV, 5DS, 1D X MKII they will need to improve or eliminate the lag when you take a shot in the viewfinder.

Dual slots is not just about failure of the card itself in-camera, but also corruption of the card at the card reader, theft or loss etc. No professional who is shooting un-repeatable moments should be shooting on a single slot camera. This includes weddings, sports etc. You say you have a backup in case something goes wrong but this is about the moments that have already been captured on your (single) card slot that can never be repeated.

Bottom line is, if you are professional you can afford a camera with two cards. The R looks nice and all and these lenses are the future but there is no need to put your reputation on the line to jump over too early. The dual slot camera will come.

Upvote 0