The RF mount “Holy Trinity” should be ready to ship before the end of July 2019 [CR2]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Don't go trashing your name before you get one. First rule of business.
Guy who bought a "clunky" 5DSr (slow frame rate) now acting upset because a 1DX II+ mirrorless camera isn't available right now from Canon. Shooting style change much? Why not just buy a 1DX Mark II? BTW: Canon doesn't mind if you don't check back until 2095.

Attachments

• z9c83.jpg
    z9c83.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Canon stopped making one, so apparently there's no profit in it. That, or there's more profit in making a different lens.
I know, 50mm or 60mm macro lenses used to be very popular in the past, but were replaced with 100mm macros.
Nikon and Zeiss are the last ones to produce them:cry:. I miss them, because my favorite lens being the EF 100-400, the 100 L IS is a bit redundant...and bulky, especially with its lens-shade.That's why I bought the additional Zeiss...which is excellent, but lacks AF.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I know, 50mm or 60mm macro lenses used to be very popular in the past, but were replaced with 100mm macros.
Nikon and Zeiss are the last ones to produce them:cry:. I miss them, because my favorite lens being the EF 100-400, the 100 L IS is a bit redundant...and bulky, especially with its lens-shade.That's why I bought the additional Zeiss...which is excellent, but lacks AF.

I went from 7D +100mm non-L to 7D + sigma 150 to 7D + sigma 150 + 1.4x TC to get more and more reach, or M+MP-E for more and more magnification. Then I bought a book with nothing but wide angle macros and started reconsidering my approach.
The EF-M 28mm (45mm on FF) is a very nice combination for getting in close: EOS-M + EF-M 28mm + magic lantern

I should try the 50mm f/2.5 on the RP to see how that does, provided I find decent enough ear protection for dampening the AF noise :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I went from 7D +100mm non-L to 7D + sigma 150 to 7D + sigma 150 + 1.4x TC to get more and more reach, or M+MP-E for more and more magnification. Then I bought a book with nothing but wide angle macros and started reconsidering my approach.
The EF-M 28mm (45mm on FF) is a very nice combination for getting in close: EOS-M + EF-M 28mm + magic lantern

I should try the 50mm f/2.5 on the RP to see how that does, provided I find decent enough ear protection for dampening the AF noise :)
I think I'll give the EF 2,8/40 a try, with a short extension ring, but I dislike (mechanically, not optically) the EF 2,5/50!
Nice bee video!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
For me, I don't have any interest in the 40-70mm focal length, so a 35, 85, and some sort of tele-zoom is ideal : ) I do leave room to be persuaded into a 15-35, but only if it's optically spectacular.
I'm in on the 15-35 2.8 (very likely) to shoot video so as to compensate for the 1.75 crop

Upvote 0
...maybe one slot would be "okay".

And that's exactly right. I'd rather have two even if one never leaves the camera, just for insurance. But until the EOS Rs comes out (that's my name for it) I'm OK with one. And the iPad...

And I'd be happy if the second 'card' were built-in, not removable. Put a 128 GB chip in the internals card warn me when it's about full. Best of both worlds!

Upvote 0
I'm more of a 35/50/85 guy.

I hope Canon reads this stuff! My requests:

TS 17 with screw-on filters (no bulbous glass) and a tripod foot
TS 24 with tripod foot
20–85 f/4 (the 24–105 gets traded for this one!)
70–200 f/something. I might not be able to wait for an f/4
a 28 f/1.8 the ideal walking around lens. I've tried to make 35 work but it's just too close, the 24 too wide

There you have it.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I keep a 50gb CF card in our Mark IVs at all times and swap out 16gb SD cards periodically and keep them separate from our gear in case of theft.

I once served as an expert witness in court while another photographer was being sued by the client. The photographer was a hack of the worst kind ripping off wedding clients.

I can tell you from that experience, being a pro photographer and charging market rates, the judge and plaintiff are going to wonder why you don’t have the industry standard of two slots in your camera if you have catastrophic failure.

The questions will be asked, how long have cameras offered two slots? How much are those cameras and are they typically used in your industry and by photographers in your price point?

They’ll most likely consider it an act of negligence on your part. What’s the likelihood any of this could happen to you? I don’t know, never? But all it takes us once and it will cost you way more than the cost of upgrading to a pro body with two slots.

And by the way, you probably won’t have the luxury of defining industry standard, pro, negligence, etc. It will be pretty tough for a defendant to explain why they felt a $2,300 body instead of a $3,000 body was adequate when charging over $3,000 per wedding or $150 and more per hour for an event. If the technology is there, affordable, and widely used in your industry, you can expect them to expect you to be using it.

But this is worst case scenario. Best case, you have a great contract and understanding clients and you’ve already refunded them a pro rate, half, or in full, for the loss. Which most likely would’ve gotten you better bodies with two slots as well....and kept your sanity and reputation in tact.
Then, even with a contract with an out due to equipment failure, a Bridezilla could still file a frivolous suit that would still have to be defended. So a second card is really good insurance.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Then, even with a contract with an out due to equipment failure, a Bridezilla could still file a frivolous suit that would still have to be defended. So a second card is really good insurance.
Oh for sure. We also have indemnification/ errors and omissions coverage. We all know just the act of being sued, even if there’s no chance a plaintiff will or could win, can be financially and emotionally costly.

Maybe I’m just paranoid. I’m too busy to deal with any of that anyways. Time away from shooting and managing a business costs much more than the investment in good gear....and that’s why I never jumped to Sony. The fan boys don’t tell you about all the fun things that go along with a flawed and technologically aggressive system.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Oh for sure. We also have indemnification/ errors and omissions coverage. We all know just the act of being sued, even if there’s no chance a plaintiff will or could win, can be financially and emotionally costly.

Maybe I’m just paranoid. I’m too busy to deal with any of that anyways. Time away from shooting and managing a business costs much more than the investment in good gear....and that’s why I never jumped to Sony. The fan boys don’t tell you about all the fun things that go along with a flawed and technologically aggressive system.
Yup. But, apparently those supposed pros who think 2 card slots is paranoid haven't run into a nasty customer and card failure yet. Economic thrill seekers with a little of Murphy's law thrown in. ;) Then again, they probably don't use contracts or insurance either. Sooner or later, "Should have..." Not to mention all the free word of mouth advertising they'll get. Not smart business on their part.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Just to be curious: will we see any new APS-C DSLR and EF-S lens in the foreseeable future or this part of the market is completely forgotten now? :( An EF-S 18-55 f/2.8 IS (ring)USM or an EF 10-24 f/2.8 IS Dii VC USD would be great. Or any other lens with an f/2.8 fixed maximum aperture for APS-C cameras. :)

I don't know if Canon has ever made a lens like what your describe for EF-S cameras. I'm sorry to say I think there's little chance of this ever happening based on where Canon seems to be concentrating its energies. Maybe move to Fuji? They make an 8-16 2.8 and a 16-55 2.8, both available for a modern system (X-T3). Based on what you want, it sounds like a system (perhaps the only system around) made for you.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Upvote 0