The RF mount “Holy Trinity” should be ready to ship before the end of July 2019 [CR2]

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
I sure hope not. I'm really looking forward to the trinity announcement. However, if they're all three approaching $3k, I'll have to hold off on buying anyway. I'll have to keep using the EF version with adapters for the foreseeable future...
Agreed. I am definitely interested in the 70-200, but $3k could go pretty far elsewhere. I'd have to rethink too

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Does anybody know what sort of price are we looking at for the 15-35? I have my fingers crossed it won't be more than £2000. Is this unlikely?

Since the MSRP on the 16-35/2.8L III is $2200, and this one is both wider and includes IS, I wouldn't bet south of $2700.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
Have there been any more updates?

Since the MSRP on the 16-35/2.8L III is $2200, and this one is both wider and includes IS, I wouldn't bet south of $2700.

To be honest the wide angle option is the only one that really excites me right now and sadly I agree with your analysis.

Looking at Sony and Nikon it seems clear that, unless Canon has discovered some huge advance, a 24-70 2.8 seems to be about the same size regardless of flange distance. Indeed with it having IS the new 24-70/2.8 L RF is possibly going to be bigger than the EF L II (the Sony 24-70GM is actually quite a bit bigger than the 24-70/2.8 L II). I adapted my 24-70 L II to the R and it works perfectly and whether I update to the upcoming RF will depend on if a future R body gets IBIS - if it does I'll probably just keep my EF for many years.

A similar story plays out with 70-200 except of course if one makes it extending which Canon is going to. Personally I prefer the current style but I can imagine for travel the RF will work well. My II has been banged about quite a bit and has never missed a beat, I am sure in part because of its rigid design.

Again using Sony and Nikon as a guide - Sony's 12-24 and 16-35GM and Nikon's 14-30S it seems that the reduced flange distance offers big advantages at wider angles, in terms of both performance and size. The RF wide angle zoom will I think be outstanding and seems to be the best compromise - going to 15mm but retaining 2.8 and a filter ring - seems to me a better route than the competition. I therefore expect strong demand and if there is Canon will price it high to start with. I am hoping that the likes of Voigtlander, Tokina, Sigma (and the one I really wish would, Zeiss) start bringing out lenses for the R mount as that will likely push Canon to be more competitive on pricing (just look at the 85/1.4 L IS and how Canon clearly realised they had to go up against the Sigma Art).

Upvote 0
Based on other RF glass, I'm afraid to ask what the pricing will be. I have a feeling a good number of folks will opt for the EF equivalents after pricing is announced.

I think Canon will basically match the pricing of equivalent Sony FE lenses, possibly $100-$200 more depending on the lens.

Pricing significantly higher would turn a lot of people off from of the new system, and push buyers toward the system offering more capable bodies AND cheaper lenses.

A lot of the current line up is very expensive, but they are unchallenged items like native 1.2 primes with af, and an f2 zoom nobody else makes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I think Canon will basically match the pricing of equivalent Sony FE lenses, possibly $100-$200 more depending on the lens.

Pricing significantly higher would turn a lot of people off from of the new system, and push buyers toward the system offering more capable bodies AND cheaper lenses.

A lot of the current line up is very expensive, but they are unchallenged items like native 1.2 primes with af, and an f2 zoom nobody else makes.

Why do you think Canon will be more expensive than Sony? I expect the opposite, based on history. The Canon RF 24-105 f4 is $1099, the Sony 24-105 f4 is $1398 (even on sale right now it's $1198). Nearly every Canon lens is cheaper than Sony and Nikon equivalents. So far, the really expensive RF lenses don't have equivalents from other vendors.

Upvote 0
Why do you think Canon will be more expensive than Sony? I expect the opposite, based on history. The Canon RF 24-105 f4 is $1099, the Sony 24-105 f4 is $1398 (even on sale right now it's $1198). Nearly every Canon lens is cheaper than Sony and Nikon equivalents. So far, the really expensive RF lenses don't have equivalents from other vendors.

I think they’ll match Sony pricing; or possibly be slightly higher initially, but offer rebates after a few months. Declining market means they’ll probably try to gain more margin with their lenses, since the perception is there is room there.

I already stated as much about the 1.2 primes and the f2 zoom.

Upvote 0
I'm a sad panda :( I have a quite prominent wedding shoot incoming in August and I really wanted the 15-35 to complement the 50mm f/1.2 and 35 macro, I guess I will have to borrow the 16-35 III EF version.

Canon still says it plans to release 5 new lenses before the end of the year, so the holy trinity should be at least officially announced sometime soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0