The TIPA and EISA Award Winners Have Been Announced

Talys said:
Why is everyone so shocked about 6D2?

DSLR Professional went to Nikon D850
DSLR Expert went to Canon 6DII

What recent DSLR would you have given those two awards to instead?? Your choices on full frame DSLR releases are rather limited :)

In its defense, the Canon 6DII is an amazing camera, especially for the price, and if I had my money from the purchase back, I'd buy it again, because (1) what better DSLR can I buy at that price point and (2) what other full frame DSLR has an articulating screen?

Adelino said:
I wonder what awards other companies received.

http://www.tipa.com/en-en/awards/tipa-world-awards-2018.html

Pentax K-1 or K-1 Mark II are both WAY BETTER cameras than the 6DII... 6DII is an embarrassment...

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
Quirkz said:
There’s just this weird perception that the 6D II is a bad camera just because everyone expected it to have improved low iso dr. Even though everyone who actually owns and uses one says it’s excellent.

I don’t get why the interwebz hates on it so much.

Because Canon is the most successful camera company and people love to tear down what is at the top.
Because the techno-geeks only care about new and exciting - and all the review sites are run by techno-geeks.
Because people read the review sites and then act like moronic sheep, mindlessly repeating what the reviewers say.

Or because the 6DII is just a 5DII with an extra 6MP... (+ DP)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
The Fat Fish said:
Mikehit said:
The Fat Fish said:
How serious are these awards if even the 6DII get's one?

Why doesn't it deserve one?

Because it was the most criticised camera of the last decade? It was not a good release for it's price or release year. From a personal perspective, I had saved up for the 6DII in anticipation for it's announcement and then on release I have never been so disappointed. Admittedly I am a 6D user so the reasons to upgrade are almost none.

The 6DII was two features short of what it should have been as a $2000 2017 camera. There were three that users expected.

1) Improved DR inline with the 5DIV and 80D.

This is the biggest let down for most as there's absolutely no reason for not doing it. It's their latest camera, the original 6D had better DR than the 5DIII and it was something praised on the 80D and 5DIV.

2) 4K Video

As a 2017 camera this was expected by many. Of course the 5DIV's less than ideal 4K video implementation indicated the 6DII would suffer also, many including me had hoped Canon would swallow their pride and offer it.

3) Dual card slots

This is a bit of a "bonus feature" but one Sony and Nikon don't have an issue putting in $2000 cameras.

The 6DII needed any two of these features in my opinion. The reason they were held back are largely due to the inflated price of the 5DIV. Looking at the $2000 market today, the 5DIV should have been the 6DII.

I agree that the nerfed sensor on the 6DII was a shock, but I don't think there was any reason at all to expect 4K video. At the time, a new fullframe Sony with 4K was selling for $3000, and that was as cheap as it got. The 4K video frenzy associated with the 6DII release was internet nonsense. And comparing then to now seems sort of pointless to me

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
klausenrique said:
dak723 said:
Quirkz said:
There’s just this weird perception that the 6D II is a bad camera just because everyone expected it to have improved low iso dr. Even though everyone who actually owns and uses one says it’s excellent.

I don’t get why the interwebz hates on it so much.

Because Canon is the most successful camera company and people love to tear down what is at the top.
Because the techno-geeks only care about new and exciting - and all the review sites are run by techno-geeks.
Because people read the review sites and then act like moronic sheep, mindlessly repeating what the reviewers say.

Or because the 6DII is just a 5DII with an extra 6MP... (+ DP)

and upgraded AF and Liveview, touchscreen focussing, and a flip screen.

Upvote 0
BillB said:
The Fat Fish said:
Mikehit said:
The Fat Fish said:
How serious are these awards if even the 6DII get's one?

Why doesn't it deserve one?

Because it was the most criticised camera of the last decade? It was not a good release for it's price or release year. From a personal perspective, I had saved up for the 6DII in anticipation for it's announcement and then on release I have never been so disappointed. Admittedly I am a 6D user so the reasons to upgrade are almost none.

The 6DII was two features short of what it should have been as a $2000 2017 camera. There were three that users expected.

1) Improved DR inline with the 5DIV and 80D.

This is the biggest let down for most as there's absolutely no reason for not doing it. It's their latest camera, the original 6D had better DR than the 5DIII and it was something praised on the 80D and 5DIV.

2) 4K Video

As a 2017 camera this was expected by many. Of course the 5DIV's less than ideal 4K video implementation indicated the 6DII would suffer also, many including me had hoped Canon would swallow their pride and offer it.

3) Dual card slots

This is a bit of a "bonus feature" but one Sony and Nikon don't have an issue putting in $2000 cameras.

The 6DII needed any two of these features in my opinion. The reason they were held back are largely due to the inflated price of the 5DIV. Looking at the $2000 market today, the 5DIV should have been the 6DII.

I agree that the nerfed sensor on the 6DII was a shock, but I don't think there was any reason at all to expect 4K video. At the time, a new fullframe Sony with 4K was selling for $3000, and that was as cheap as it got. The 4K video frenzy associated with the 6DII release was internet nonsense. And comparing then to now seems sort of pointless to me

Most of this back and forth internet camera bashing and praising nonsense is pointless if one loves to spend time taking photos more than pixel peeping and upgrading their equipment every few months. They'll enjoy what gear they presently have and come home with great results every time.

....and when one does decide to upgrade from what they are presently using their new camera should be a blast to use regardless of what brand it is or how many card slots, buttons, or pixels it has.

If I dropped and broke my 6DII I'd most likely replace it with another 6DII. It's a great camera and for what I do I get fantastic and amazing images with it.

If I was a pro wedding, portrait, or event shooter I'd most likely be using a 5D4 or something else but then again I'd probably not enjoy photography like I do now having to deal with all the people and pressure that type of professional shooting involves. I shoot to relax and to enjoy the images I get with what I see out in nature.

The only other camera I had my eye on 7 months ago right before I bought the 6D2 was actually the Pentax K1. That was only because I have a large collection of old Takumar and Pentax M Lenses that I love to use.....I've adapted all these old lenses to all my Canon cameras and they work good enough for me on them, so even today I am still very happy with my decision to get the 6D2....(I still wouldn't mind playing with the Pentax K1 with these old Takumar's)!

With this recent 6DII award announced and because I am a 6DII user does that make me an expert now? LOL

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Durf said:
If I dropped and broke my 6DII I'd most likely replace it with another 6DII. It's a great camera and for what I do I get fantastic and amazing images with it.

If I was a pro wedding, portrait, or event shooter I'd most likely be using a 5D4 or something else but then again I'd probably not enjoy photography like I do now having to deal with all the people and pressure that type of professional shooting involves. I shoot to relax and to enjoy the images I get with what I see out in nature.

Yes!! On both counts.

Durf said:
With this recent 6DII award announced and because I am a 6DII user does that make me an expert now? LOL

Of course. All you need to do to be an expert is to buy stuff. You see it all the time: someone buys a $300,000 Italian sports car, and they are instantly an expert race car driver, as seen by the way they expertly drive off the road :D

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Talys said:
Mikehit said:
KirkD said:
Sure it takes fine photos, but I didn't feel it was enough of an upgrade to make the purchase.

Many people think that camera manufacturers release new models to get people to upgrade. Wrong. The overriding market is an updated model for people lower down the chain to upgrade to - for example APS-C to intro level FF, not 6D to 6DII.
If you want a genuine upgrade go to 5D level.

I'm hoping Canon's first full frame mirrorless can measure up to the Sony A7III.
What do you mean by 'measure up'? Full feature set - fat chance. A good solid imaging machine - high probability.

Sometimes I feel like I must be crazy or something.

If a camera takes fine pictures, why buy a new camera at all? If a new version takes fine pictures... isn't that the prime requisite of a good camera?

I don't want my camera to do anything OTHER than take fine pictures... I guess I am weird that way.

Alas, those of us like you - who take pics and want a camera that does take good shots and is fun and easy to use - are the small minority on sites like this.

Those that "need" to have the latest tech, or "need" to boast or show off to their friends seem to be in the majority, even if their camera of choice does no better than what Canon offers. I wonder how many of the Sony lovers have actually used a Sony? I wonder how many have taken comparison shots with a Sony A7 II and a Canon 6D? I wonder, frankly, how many Sony lovers even take a lot of photos and actually look at them? Or if they do, they underexpose 3 or more stops so they can tell their friends, "Look at what my camera can do - it must be better than yours." If that's what they want, fine, everybody should do what they want and get the camera that they want. But when people who have never used a 6D II feel so smart and so empowered by just repeating the "internet accepted wisdom" (an oxymoron if there ever was one) they should be challenged. Unless, of course, you are OK with ignorance being given the same "weight' as an informed opinion.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
3kramd5 said:
Mikehit said:
AA said:
The 6D II??? You mean the 10 year old tech that upset me so much I bought a wonderful Sony A7R III???

what '10 year old tech'?

Most of the technology in it is much older than ten years. Resistors, capacitors, printed circuits, etc.

Don't forget aluminum, plastic and magnesium (rolling my eyes)

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Adelino said:
3kramd5 said:
Mikehit said:
AA said:
The 6D II??? You mean the 10 year old tech that upset me so much I bought a wonderful Sony A7R III???

what '10 year old tech'?

Most of the technology in it is much older than ten years. Resistors, capacitors, printed circuits, etc.

...diodes, rubber, stainless steel, registers, toggles...

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
3kramd5 said:
Adelino said:
3kramd5 said:
Mikehit said:
AA said:

what '10 year old tech'?

...diodes, rubber, stainless steel, registers, toggles...

light...

Upvote 0
The 6DII is probably a great camera, in its own right. A good tool that is a joy to use. Canons usually are. Where I think Canon went a bit wrong was with the original 6D, giving it better IQ than its bigger brother, the 5D mark III. Now though, they have placed it where it belongs in their lineup, well beneath the 5D IV, but with features that places it at home in this day and age (wifi etc.). It actually seems like a good business decision since they have products in pretty much every single part of the camera market. The world is a little more than black or white. People saying that "we wanted a 5DIV for $2000" don't really get why some were disappointed. And when a lot of people were disappointed (at least on forums, and reviews, both written and youtube etc. they might have a point), but things have been blown out of proportions. Should the 6D II have the award? I don't think so, but then again I don't know what cameras it was up against here. For me low ISO DR is important, and this (otherwise nice) camera coming in at only 0.4 stop better DR than my 2009 550D is, well not good enough. It does tick a lot of other boxes though.

Personally I am starting to look for an upgrade, and was excited when the 6D II was announced, but then again I was disappointed when looking at the low ISO DR. I live in Norway, where we either have S____ weather, or very harsh sunlight, and my trusty old 550D seriously struggles when it comes to DR, hence why DR is important to me (also high ISO is important, and the 6D II is awesome from what I have heard). I keep my cameras for a long time, so want it to be a proper upgrade when I do. Perhaps I´ll wait a year or two and buy a used 5DIV instead, I am not in a hurry. Jumping ship? maybe, but it is a pain.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English :)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Pitbullo said:
I live in Norway, where we either have S____ weather, or very harsh sunlight, and my trusty old 550D seriously struggles when it comes to DR, hence why DR is important to me (also high ISO is important, and the 6D II is awesome from what I have heard).

Don't worry about your English - it is fine.

Under the conditions you describe, no camera has the dynamic range to capture the full scene in one shot. And if higher ISOs are important to you, Canon is as good as it gets: the superiority of Nikon/Sony only applies to ISO800 and lower. This is why it is important to understand what you want to shoot and how you will view the images (social media content, all cameras will look the same. Print to 1 meter across and things are rather different).
This is why so much of the internet blather about the 6D2 was more about bandwagons than reality.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Pitbullo said:
I live in Norway, where we either have S____ weather, or very harsh sunlight, and my trusty old 550D seriously struggles when it comes to DR, hence why DR is important to me (also high ISO is important, and the 6D II is awesome from what I have heard).

Under the conditions you describe, no camera has the dynamic range to capture the full scene in one shot. And if higher ISOs are important to you, Canon is as good as it gets: the superiority of Nikon/Sony only applies to ISO800 and lower. This is why it is important to understand what you want to shoot and how you will view the images (social media content, all cameras will look the same. Print to 1 meter across and things are rather different).
This is why so much of the internet blather about the 6D2 was more about bandwagons than reality.

I've been shooting extensively with the 6D2 for 7+ months now, mostly landscapes and stills and can say with certainty that in high dynamic range landscapes shooting at say ISO 100, it will be best in certain situations to bracket the shots if able too. I've shot many 1 shot landscapes and some extreme scenes were noisy in the darkest areas but most were just fine and beautiful. There has been a few times that I just knew I had to bracket and when processing them they looked absolutely amazing with very little to no noise. The 6D2 dynamic range internet hype and bashing is a bit exaggerated in my opinion. One can usually work around these types of camera weaknesses most of the time if you know how too.

Is the 5D4, Nikon 850, or Sony a7iii a better camera than the 6D2? Probably so....but it doesn't automatically make the 6D2 a piece of junk that's not capable of taking fantastic images! sheesh....

The 6Dii is a very capable camera if you learn its strength and weaknesses, just as one would have to master any camera's strengths and weaknesses. I am having an enjoyable time with the 6D2 and love this darn camera regardless of all the internet complaining.

Upvote 0
KirkD said:
kkamena said:
I owned the 6d and now own the 6dii. As started earlier all the complaining about 6dii is form non-6dii owners. People point to one thing mostly using DxOmark (who are worthless) to say the camera is crap. There are very limited situations where the 6d may perform better. I have not in my course of shooting come across a situation where the 6dii was not better than the original. I have tried to use the A7 III and am very glad I got the 6dii. There are so many things that Canon just does well that you do not even realize until you try a different brand in my experience. I would decently recommend the 6dii to anyone looking for an inexpensive FF.
I certainly would not say the 6D II is "crap". Apart from no 4k video, I was disappointed in the dynamic range of its sensor .. the same as the 6D (which I already have), and I shoot a lot outdoors in low light. Are you sure you "tried to use the A7III"? They are not expected to start shipping until May 1.

You are probably right, I do not track other manufacture as well as Canon. Long story short I got Divorced and my ex got all the camera equipment, so I had to but a whole new kit. It was between 6d, 6DII, 5Diii, and the relative Sony Mirrorless and Nikon. The Sony did not make very far in my consideration, After picking it up and trying to work with it I just did not like it did not feel right. and trying to go through the menus it just was not intuitive. I am not a "professional" how ever I just could not see myself enjoying shooting with it. Similar to shooting guns I went with the idea if you are not comfortable shooting your results will suffer. The Nikon was fine but when it came to replacing the glass I choose Canon. After using the 6dii the updates made it worth it for me over the 5diii and 6d. the one thing I do really wish I had was a larger spread of Auto focus points, however it is still much better than the original 6d.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Another very happy 6DMKII user.

Having owned the majority of the canon line up from XXXDs to 1Ds its my go to on a regular basis, because i enjoy shooting with it, its so flexible and its pretty much down to the flippy screen.

Probably the most underrated camera on the market because of a few silly reviews, in practice in good hands there is very little it cant do. I bought it to replace my 5DMKIII because I wanted the flippy screen and it is better in almost every way. The AF has a smaller area but I find it gets critical focus far more often, the DR really isnt an issue to me, the card situation is a bummer but Ive never had a card fail in 15 years and swap them out on a regular basis, doesn't worry me.

It was also £1450 at launch and you can buy them for £1199 now... literally the best bang for buck in any line atm preowned 5DMKIIIs are more expensive... I wouldn't have one over a 6DMKII.

It is 90% a 5D4 at less than half the price.

Every time I pick it up I really enjoy using it, if you can get passed the "negatives" its an excellent camera.

I shoot lots of different subjects and use different cameras for uses. What I have found the the 6DMKII ideal for is a walk around / travel camera because its light GPS and WIFI, its a fantastic architectural / interior / landscape camera because of the screen and you can bracket, Its great in the studio for the same reason.

I have ended up using it in many other areas too, I shoot a lot motorsport and automotive and man this thing hits! The 7DMKII and 5DMKIII set up in similar ways just dont hit the same im not sure why but I think its excellent. I have used it as a wedding/portraiture camera and the images were stunning.

Ive shot nearly 60k on it already and its made its own value back multiple multiple times and im really happy with it.

The plan was to buy the 6DMKII for the short term and buy another 5D4 having shot both for the last 10 months... the 6DMKII gets more use.

Now if the 5DMKIV had a flip screen it would be the ideal camera.

My argument is that Cameras are so good now there is very little they cant do, cast your mind back 15 years ago when the 300D was around. Even lower end cameras in the right hands create incredible images.

The only things I wish it had were the dual card slots and wider with more AF points.

Unfortunately this is the only camera in canons FF line up with the screen and for my work it really has changed the way I can work.

Either way with the 5D4 being £2500 and the 6DII being £1199... amazing.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
tomscott said:
Now if the 5DMKIV had a flip screen it would be the ideal camera.

My argument is that Cameras are so good now there is very little they cant do, cast your mind back 15 years ago when the 300D was around. Even lower end cameras in the right hands create incredible images.

The only things I wish it had were the dual card slots and wider with more AF points.

Unfortunately this is the only camera in canons FF line up with the screen and for my work it really has changed the way I can work.

I couldn't agree more :)

I really hope the next 5D body has a flip screen, arctic weatherproofing be damned. It's very hard to go back to a camera without a flip screen once you get used to it. I also think that the ability to swivel all the way and view it from the front is a real asset -- I'm glad the M50 adopted this, as opposed to the M5/A7R3/D850 tilt-only mechanism.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Pitbullo said:

We have a Sony Nex-6, with more than 2 stops more DR than my Canon, and it really shows when editing. Unfortunately the ergonomics are poor, and as soon as I raise the ISO, my Canon is better. I do prefer Canon DSLR ergonomics. There will always be a compromise, the question is where they have compromised, and I wish Canon would have done it elsewhere with the 6D mark II.

Upvote 0