The TIPA and EISA Award Winners Have Been Announced

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
JP said:
Best Full-Frame DSLR Expert: Canon EOS 6D Mark II

Give me a break..! I sold mine for a loss, and was happy about it... Piece of junk if you ask me..

You were happy that you sold your camera at a loss? :eek: Please buy a 200-400 and sell it at a loss to me. 8)

I am curious though, what you didn't like about it.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
JP said:

Give me a break..! I sold mine for a loss, and was happy about it... Piece of junk if you ask me..

You were happy that you sold your camera at a loss? :eek: Please buy a 200-400 and sell it at a loss to me. 8)

LOL

after using this 6D2 for 7+ months I pretty much shrug negative "junk camera" comments off, I know better now that it's not a piece of junk.

In my opinion people that think this camera is a piece of junk should be likely shooting with a 1Dx Mark ii, but then they'd likely be complaining that the 1Dx Mark ii was to heavy and that it was only a 20 mega pixel camera.....
(and that they should just go and buy a Sony and be the happiest camera owner on the planet!)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Durf said:
Talys said:
JP said:

LOL

after using this 6D2 for 7+ months I pretty much shrug negative "junk camera" comments off, I know better now that it's not a piece of junk.

In my opinion people that think this camera is a piece of junk should be likely shooting with a 1Dx Mark ii, but then they'd likely be complaining that the 1Dx Mark ii was to heavy and that it was only a 20 mega pixel camera.....
(and that they should just go and buy a Sony and be the happiest camera owner on the planet!)

My thing is... the 6DII seems very similar to the 5DIII, which is NOT a piece of junk. The problem for anyone who is incapable of great photography with a 5DIII is behind the viewfinder :)

Except that 6DII has a flippy screen, and that is very useful to me in some cases.

One feature, I think, that is undersold about flippy screens is that when they are fully reversed (front facing) they are NOT the same as a field monitor or remote screen rotated. They actually become a mirror -- an item showing on the left will photograph on the right.

The mirror function is EXTREMELY useful for making product adjustments, because you "move" in the same direction as you do in the image, allowing you to much more easily recompose than with a field monitor. For instance, if something looks too far to the right in the image, move it to the left (intuitive). If you reverse a field monitor to face you, if something is too far to the right in the image, you have to move it right.

I imagine that for the same reason, people who make videos of themselves would also value this feature.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
Durf said:
Talys said:
JP said:

LOL

My thing is... the 6DII seems very similar to the 5DIII, which is NOT a piece of junk. The problem for anyone who is incapable of great photography with a 5DIII is behind the viewfinder :)

Except that 6DII has a flippy screen, and that is very useful to me in some cases.

One feature, I think, that is undersold about flippy screens is that when they are fully reversed (front facing) they are NOT the same as a field monitor or remote screen rotated. They actually become a mirror -- an item showing on the left will photograph on the right.

The mirror function is EXTREMELY useful for making product adjustments, because you "move" in the same direction as you do in the image, allowing you to much more easily recompose than with a field monitor. For instance, if something looks too far to the right in the image, move it to the left (intuitive). If you reverse a field monitor to face you, if something is too far to the right in the image, you have to move it right.

I imagine that for the same reason, people who make videos of themselves would also value this feature.

It seems to me that the 6D2 would be quite a bit better than the 5D Mark3 with its better auto focus and processor, flip screen and some other little things except for the dual card slots and joy stick.....I wouldn't know though as I've never used the 5D3.

I was considering buying the 5D3 last year instead of the 6D2 but I could not justify in my own mind the 5D3 being the better camera nor did I want a camera without a flip screen. If the 5D4 would of had the flip screen I probably would of bought that instead of the 6D2. But now knowing the 6D2 works for me and I'm happy with it I'm glad I didn't spend 1500.00+ more for the 5D4.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Durf said:
It seems to me that the 6D2 would be quite a bit better than the 5D Mark3 with its better auto focus and processor, flip screen and some other little things except for the dual card slots and joy stick.....I wouldn't know though as I've never used the 5D3.

Right, that about nails it :) The joystick would be nice; and of course the left hand buttons are nice too, as well as the dual slots. OTOH, 6D2's flipout screen is awesome, and the raw AF speed is better, there's the touch screen which is not minor.

But frankly, as a "photographer's camera", I think they're pretty interchangeable for a lot of stuff, with the 5D4 having slightly better image quality, and a lot more sophisticated AF modes -- but I don't end up using them anyways. I would have gladly bought the 5DIV at its launch if just had a flippy screen :(

Upvote 0
Talys said:
Durf said:

Right, that about nails it :) The joystick would be nice; and of course the left hand buttons are nice too, as well as the dual slots. OTOH, 6D2's flipout screen is awesome, and the raw AF speed is better, there's the touch screen which is not minor.

But frankly, as a "photographer's camera", I think they're pretty interchangeable for a lot of stuff, with the 5D4 having slightly better image quality, and a lot more sophisticated AF modes -- but I don't end up using them anyways. I would have gladly bought the 5DIV at its launch if just had a flippy screen :(

I'm pretty sure I would of got the 5D4 last year if it would of had the flip screen......Canon could of made another 1500 bucks off me if they would of put a flip screen on the 5D4! LOL

Upvote 0
I heard the same tripe from my fellow pro shooters back when I bought my 6D as an upgrade to my 5Dii. They were all happy to pay $1000 more, and laughed at my cheaper, lighter, wifi enabled, better IQ... HEY! Once they found out the absence of the moire filter resulted in better IQ, they stopped laughing. And they were jealous of the wifi as they fumbled over their cables for tethering. Try getting a remote shot on a boom 15 feet in the air without a trigger or usb cable attached. No chance. And I used the money I saved to get my first Sigma Art lens. Sweet little piece of glass.

"Professionals" love to carry around their white L lenses and latest body upgrades so people know they're "pro". I'm perfectly confident my work shows my level of professionalism, not my gear. I'm actually glad the 6Dii wasn't such an improvement over the 6D, because I almost got sucked into the mythical DR craze, even though I've never had a complaint with the 6D's shadow detail on a sunny day, where the scene matches exactly what my eye saw. (HDR is overrated, ladies and gents). So I saved another $2000 not upgrading, and I'm still perfectly happy with my 6D.

That said, I'm certain all the hating on the 6Dii is just as much b.s. as it was five years ago.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
tallrob said:
I heard the same tripe from my fellow pro shooters back when I bought my 6D as an upgrade to my 5Dii. They were all happy to pay $1000 more, and laughed at my cheaper, lighter, wifi enabled, better IQ... HEY! Once they found out the absence of the moire filter resulted in better IQ, they stopped laughing. And they were jealous of the wifi as they fumbled over their cables for tethering. Try getting a remote shot on a boom 15 feet in the air without a trigger or usb cable attached. No chance. And I used the money I saved to get my first Sigma Art lens. Sweet little piece of glass.

"Professionals" love to carry around their white L lenses and latest body upgrades so people know they're "pro". I'm perfectly confident my work shows my level of professionalism, not my gear. I'm actually glad the 6Dii wasn't such an improvement over the 6D, because I almost got sucked into the mythical DR craze, even though I've never had a complaint with the 6D's shadow detail on a sunny day, where the scene matches exactly what my eye saw. (HDR is overrated, ladies and gents). So I saved another $2000 not upgrading, and I'm still perfectly happy with my 6D.

That said, I'm certain all the hating on the 6Dii is just as much b.s. as it was five years ago.

I don't keep up with these things that much, but hasn't the original 6D suddenly become wonderful in the eyes of the haters now that they have the 6D2 to hate?

BTW, I noticed the other day when looking at metadata that the autoexposure had finally, after seven months, shot a picture on my 6D2 at ISO 100. I didn't see anything wrong with it, though.

Upvote 0