The top 100 images without Photoshop

I've seen this list before. A few nice pics in there, for sure, but I never bought the "no photoshop" headline. That can mean a lot of things to different people. To some it might mean, "no post processing of any kind" while to others it might mean "no compositing, but everything else allowed." Half of these pics have the colour saturation cranked up so far they hurt my eyes, and a few of them are either composites or are using masks to apply pretty extreme effects to only parts of the image.

Upvote 0
I do not know the criteria to classify these pictures. But I believe it means that no element was added or removed from the photo in post production.

The layman in photography think that if an image "has Photoshop" has created an effect that did not exist when you pressed the shutter button of the camera. And then removed some imperfection that was part of the image. Lay people do not know that photographers use Photoshop (or equivalent software) also to return to the pictures appearance that the human eye has seen before pressing the shutter button.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
Hello everyone

This is my first post at all. I just viewed all the 'top 100' images and some of them reminded me of my last year's holiday in Botswana and Namibia. I have been to all these places like Sossusvlei, Fish River Canyon, Etosha, Damara Land and the Quiver Tree Forest a.s.o. Some of those pictures were nearly the same I was able to take down there - like the example in this post. I will contribute some more pics in the future, so 'see you later' ;)

Attachments

• 03nam099.JPG
    03nam099.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
snowleo said:
Hello everyone

This is my first post at all. I just viewed all the 'top 100' images and some of them reminded me of my last year's holiday in Botswana and Namibia. I have been to all these places like Sossusvlei, Fish River Canyon, Etosha, Damara Land and the Quiver Tree Forest a.s.o. Some of those pictures were nearly the same I was able to take down there - like the example in this post. I will contribute some more pics in the future, so 'see you later' ;)
Hello snowleo!

And welcome to CR.
Beautiful first picture. Awaiting more to come ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
snowleo said:
Hello everyone

Great shot 8) ....and welcome to CR.

Upvote 0
chauncey said:
I fail to understand the difference in allowing your camera's software to decide how an image should "look" as opposed to your choices in LR/PS.
In my mind, the only thing that matters is the quality of that final print.

Well, that depends on what you're producing, who your target audience is, and whether there's a commercial component. If you're only shooting for yourself then do whatever you want. As soon as journalism, commerce, competition, etc, are involved, the standard goes up considerably. In short, you can do whatever you want with your photograph so long as you don't misrepresent its creation. In my book, even tall tales about how you got the shot are misrepresentations.

Upvote 0
Khristo said:
Most questionable one for me is the spider web in the leaf. Perspective all wrong and the focus fading away into the back/top. Hmmmm...

It kind of looks like fake, but the "center bone" of the leaf is at the top and the other half can be seen through the hole in the leaf. The web is not cross the hole but instead connecting the edges of the folded leaf so the perspective and blur is correct.

Upvote 0