Theft/loss of gear in NYC on Monday 12 May 2014

Guy and girls - I am in trouble
While departing from NYC this Monday to go the airport and back home to Germany, my camera bag "disappeared" someweher betwen the supposedly secure holding space at the Ink48 and my arrival at Newark airport. I spare you the details (stupidity on my behalf cannot be fully excluded), but would like to know where you would search for "resurfacing" gear.
Would B&H purchase "off the street"? Craiglist? Any other suggestions? Will come back with serial numbers.
We are talking 5D3, 24-70 2,8 II, 135/2,0, 600 Speedlie (yes - this one hurts seriously)
Thanks for any help I can get
Cheers
Olaf

Hello,

well, I am really sorry for you, if you don't find your camera (may be a bit hard considering that you are in Germany), I hope your gear was insured...

I guess you know stolen camera finder? http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

Just in case, it was a good idea and you might have a possibility there if photos taken with your camera are posted to Filckr or somewhere else. Just try from time to time, dont give up because there are cases of guys who found their cameras after some time.

Well, all the best! Good luck!

Victor

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Report the serial numbers to the police in NY, and NJ at the minimum. Pawn shops, or camera shops that buy used gear must hold it and check with the police database before they can resell it, so only really dumb thieves would sell it that way.

There are numerous web sites for registering serial numbers of stolen gear. You can also look for images that were taken using your camera and posted on the web, there are web crawlers collecting exif information from posed photos.

Unfortunately, stolen gear can be shipped anywhere, and sold on places like Craigslist or ebay, and its never usually discovered.

Canon rumors is not a site to post stolen equipment, they do not have a listing or database, but there are lots of sites that can help.

Try searching for something like "Find Stolen Camera"

Getting a serial number for your lenses can be difficult, unless you have written them down.

Upvote 0
To all of you people - thanks for the hhelpful hints and your "condolences"

Can I report a loss/theft to NYPD while no longer in the States (and how would I do that)
Can and will provide serial numbers of most pieces.

Thanks for "Find stolen camera" tip.

I do not believe that "all Americans are thieves" ;-)
Actually, being the first time in NYC I felt very welcome and "surprisingly safe".

I will return - maybe for an intense day at B&H ;-)

All the best
Olaf

Upvote 0
I have sold gear to B&H and if I recall correctly they took a copy of my drivers license. I suspect the transaction was recorded also. They probably ran the serial number but as you had not reported it they would not have any reason not to continue the transaction. I suspect Adorama is the same. I'd actually get in touch with them. They do not want to be know for selling stolen gear

Upvote 0
drolo61 said:
one more thing - just checked the EXIF of one of the last pictures I hae - it does not contain the serial number.
Just to learn for the new cam to come in - is that a feature I need to actively enable? I do not recall that I turned it of, but you never know...

Check the exif data of a raw file in DPP, it contains the camera body number.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
drolo61 said:
one more thing - just checked the EXIF of one of the last pictures I hae - it does not contain the serial number.
Just to learn for the new cam to come in - is that a feature I need to actively enable? I do not recall that I turned it of, but you never know...

The serial is in EXIF for the body unless you stripped it, or used software that removed it. Lens serial numbers are not in Exif, so they will be hard to get. They are normally recorded on the bill of sale, and the seller should have them.

Try the free Opanda EXIF Viewer, its very good for showing all exif information.

You do not need raw, in fact, Opanda only works with jpegs.

Upvote 0
Luck is with the simple minded...
My bag had never left the hotel locker room in the first place...
When I called from the airport I did use the Britsh English "Rucksack" instead of "backpack". And so they could not find it...After I sent a photo off ebay of a similar bag, they just picked it up...
It is currently in transit with FedEx and I am so curious to see if everthing has arrived ok
Will let you know

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi drolo.
That is such good news! I hope everything survives FedEx handling ok, it would be a shame to be reunited with broken kit! As I opened this thread I said to the misses I hope he's found his gear and lo and behold you almost have it back.

Rucksack, backpack, two nations divided by a common language! ;D

Cheers Graham.

drolo61 said:
Luck is with the simple minded...
My bag had never left the hotel locker room in the first place...
When I called from the airport I did use the Britsh English "Rucksack" instead of "backpack". And so they could not find it...After I sent a photo off ebay of a similar bag, they just picked it up...
It is currently in transit with FedEx and I am so curious to see if everthing has arrived ok
Will let you know

Upvote 0