There are delays in production for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

I ran the numbers late last week. Outside of China, the number of deaths divided by the number of confirmed cases was around 0.3% at that time. Still fairly high, but nothing like the numbers being bandied about that are causing hysteria.

Sure, some of those currently with it will die, but the recovery rate is improving rapidly. The two most concerning factors are the long incubation period between exposure and presentation of symptoms, and how resistant those who have been exposed and not developed severe respiratory issues will be to later exposure to slightly different mutations of the virus.

Mortality rate in Northern Italy is closer to 4.6%, they are worried it's a mutated strain it's seems much more virulent than in China. Italy's detahs are rising over 150 per day and accelrating it seems, already over 1000.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Parts are made in China, they should say assembly in Japan instead of made in Japan.
Yes, that's a good idea! I wonder what % of parts are made in China? I guess you'd have to ask what % of total manufacturing cost comes from parts from China? Maybe what's the % for Japan, and what % for everyone else?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This seems a pretty definitive article on Covid-19 infection/death rates
I looked this guy up. I can't find where he has any qualifications, expertise or experience in medicine or infectious diseases or even science. If someone can show otherwise, I'll gladly correct this comment, but if not, let's not start re-posting clickbait from people who don't know anything. It's not helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
And I would think that so long as the delivery services are functioning...being stuck in the house would be the PERFECT excuse for a new camera...
I did my part today to prop up the economy. Ordered a refurb 70-200 III from Canon USA. My II was getting long in the tooth and has seen much use. I'd been thinking about updating for quite some time. Was going to wait until after I got the 1dX III, but I figure it will be quite some time before they are available.

(pity FedEx and UPS aren't fully drone yet)

I'd rather have real people working to deliver goods. The economy is going to need every job possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I looked this guy up. I can't find where he has any qualifications, expertise or experience in medicine or infectious diseases or even science. If someone can show otherwise, I'll gladly correct this comment, but if not, let's not start re-posting clickbait from people who don't know anything. It's not helpful.

MBA from Stanford, that's pretty good. Before that, he got his BSc and MSc in Industrial Engineering. Take that, and the incredibly detailed and on point article he wrote extrapolating from reasonable data. To me the article made it's arguments and addressed the shortcomings inherent in derived statistics.
Who are you, again?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
MBA from Stanford, that's pretty good. Before that, he got his BSc and MSc in Industrial Engineering. Take that, and the incredibly detailed and on point article he wrote extrapolating from reasonable data. To me the article made it's arguments and addressed the shortcomings inherent in derived statistics.
Who are you, again?
Just a guy who doesn't go to an MBA when I'm sick.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Not an officially endorsed resource by a large US multinational I work for, but nevertheless was circulated recently via official internal channels:

Thanks for posting this. If accurate, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, this really puts things into perspective. Interesting that seasonal flu is killing 16 times as many people every day.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
I'm up on Whidbey - you be careful down there...
Edmonds here. We’re all at home. I’m lucky and can work from home, my wife is a teacher and is just home waiting. Both teenage kids are home and staying there. Talking about cameras is a welcome diversion from the news.

Stay safe out there! (y)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Well, I'd posit, that a good idea would be more solo type, landscape shooting?

I just got my new 6x17 120 film view camera in....and plan to go about the area this weekend, either by myself or just ONE friend (we'll stay 6ft apart, haha)...and do some shooting away from crowds.

Sure we have to be cautious, but life goes on, just make the best of it with what time each of us has with it....I'm guessing I won't have to be too terribly concerned about catching the corona virus from the alligators out in the swamps...

;)

C

That's great if you don't need to generate revenue when shooting to cover the cost of the gear you're using. But there's not a whole lot of revenue left in landscape shooting unless one has a client pre-commissioning a particular view for some reason. There are way too many great landscape stock images available for very little to nothing.

Upvote 0