There are delays in production for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that the production of the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 are both running at less than 1/4 of Canon’s manufacturing capacity due to supply chain issues from the Coronavirus. This will lead to obvious issues with production numbers.
The same source says Canon is considering either releasing the cameras as planned, with the Canon EOS R5 initially scheduled to begin shipping in July, and the Canon EOS R6 rumored to start shipping in June and living with the headache of low-quantity/high-demand or waiting until the fall, likely October 2020 to release both cameras in good quantity.

Continue reading...

Nov 2, 2016
Even if they only have a few thousand available, I’d rather seem them ship on time, if possible. October is a long delay. The camera industry isn’t healthy, no pun intended. A delay isn’t going to help. If these cameras are as good as hoped, having them out on time, in reduced numbers could whet demand for when larger production has begun.

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

No one knows when the virus crisis will be over, how many companies will have filed for chapter 11 by then and how long it will take then to ramp up production again. This could last until well into next year. Now one knows ...
But I also agree with a previous poster that demand is also diminishing. Just imagine if the Olympics are canceled or moved to next year ... who is then in the need or mood to buy a new camera? If ecomomy is down, sales will be down, too.
Anyway, from Canon's point of view they should rather sell low quantities starting in July which gurantees them sales at a premium with no discounts until well into 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Even if they only have a few thousand available, I’d rather seem them ship on time, if possible. October is a long delay. The camera industry isn’t healthy, no pun intended. A delay isn’t going to help. If these cameras are as good as hoped, having them out on time, in reduced numbers could whet demand for when larger production has begun.

Agree! And there are significant numbers of cautious buyers that will never pre-order, but wait for real-world reviews. Let's get this train rolling.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
If we get to vote ;) , I vote for releasing what they have when they have it and not waiting.

Personally, I would like to see all the early reviews and impressions as soon as possible.

Also, I would think this would make sense from their standpoint as well, inventory in a warehouse is a cost. And positive reviews will only drive up demand.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I fully understand, but waiting is a little harder this cycle. I was one who went all in on the R, including giving up my speedy 5DIV. Yesterday, my first serious attempt to capture some relatively moderate action (a powered paraglider). It was a real learning curve for me, but there were a few times that, clearly, the camera just wasn't keeping up. On the other hand, very challenging when the paraglider came down below the tree line, either to buzz or land, as my AF seemed to just get confused by the background. I don't remember that happening with the 5DIV, but I never tried this particular subject with it!

Anyway, when it comes it comes: A faster mirrorless will be very welcomed indeed.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Agree. Getting them into the hands of the public will allow more people to get familiar with the value propositions of these cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
No one knows when the virus crisis will be over, how many companies will have filed for chapter 11 by then and how long it will take then to ramp up production again. This could last until well into next year. Now one knows ...
But I also agree with a previous poster that demand is also diminishing. Just imagine if the Olympics are canceled or moved to next year ... who is then in the need or mood to buy a new camera? If ecomomy is down, sales will be down, too.
Anyway, from Canon's point of view they should rather sell low quantities starting in July which gurantees them sales at a premium with no discounts until well into 2021.
Given the rate at which other sporting events are being cancelled or postponed or being held beind closed doors. Its highly likely olympics will be postponed for next summers.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Getting a supply chain back online is difficult. The Chinese are skilled at doing just that, so I expect that we will see components flowing once barriers to transportation are lifted. The number of new cases needs to fall below a certain level, I doubt if they even know that level yet. I'm still waiting for a order placed before the outbreak, the factory is still closed

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Meanwhile, my current cameras continue to work and turn out great images if I do my part.
The reality is if you know what you're doing with a DSLR or a mirrorless you will create great images. I think for most of us or at least for me I love the new technologies and cameras. I am anxious for the R5 and beyond. : )

Upvote 0