There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
The star tracking feature would make me seriously consider skipping the R6 and saving up even longer to get the R5.

I don't think this is possible within the camera body, unfortunately. You need a tracking mount to do this for long enough to get night sky exposures. But star autofocus would be cool.

Upvote 0
Topaz Denois AI is your friend. I've shot birds at 25600 on Sony A9 and had excellent feather detail still after cleaning up with Topaz.

Well, it's not the same. Denoising a noisy image can't ever get close to an image that's basically noiseless to begin with, detail won't just be on the same level. My point was to say that we could basically gain 4-6 stops in ISO performance, which is huge.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I would love it to be dual analog gain recording and mixing into to the digital output of the raw file. That would be crazy. This would allow us to have basically noiseless images anywhere between iso 100 and iso 10.000 and only from there you'd see the gradual increase in noise. I mean I would love to have images shot @ 20.000 iso that look like they were shot at 6.400 iso today...
Well, it's not the same. Denoising a noisy image can't ever get close to an image that's basically noiseless to begin with, detail won't just be on the same level. My point was to say that we could basically gain 4-6 stops in ISO performance, which is huge.
No, no, and no. Vast majority of the noise at high ISOs is the result from the natural noisiness of light itself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_noise, nothing you can do about that*.

*Assuming conventional bayer (or similar) sensors.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
SPOT METERING LINKED TO AF POINT

...which would mean, they did indeed throw everything they had into this one
Fine, if it could be toggled to the traditional center area. I have no problem hitting AE Hold and recomposing. It's what I'm used to, what works for me. But I would definitely try it linked to AF point, and if I liked it, go with it. Just want the option to keep it in the center.

Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
My guess is it will be something enabled by having a movable sensor. A few possibilities:
  • Maybe pixel-shift ala what Sony introduced with the A7Rii to get full color sampling at all pixel sites.
  • The ability to dial in tilt in the camera by changing the angle of the sensor - thereby effectively giving you tilt movements for all your lenses (although I doubt this is it because this could probably be enabled for video as well)
    • Side-note - a tilt adapter for ef glass would be cool. Or a tilt-shift adapter for ef-m or RF with a crop sensor.
Possibilities that aren't related to IBIS:
  • Long-exposure mode where the camera takes multiple concurrent exposures and averages them in-camera letting you simulate the effect of ND filters without needing an ND filter. With a bunch of extra computational power (to facilitate stacking misaligned images) you could also use this to pull off something like the low-light mode in cell phones.
  • Auto-exposure-blending for high-dynamic-range scenes (something that spits out an un-tonemapped HDR raw files), although this probably wouldn't be super useful.
  • In-camera focus stacking (although this isn't really something new)
  • HEIF, although this wouldn't really be a surprise because 1Dxiii
  • Ability to hold down the shutter at top framerate and never fill the buffer if writing to CF Express (I kind of expect this will be the behavior for the mechanical shutter, maybe not for 20fps electronic, though).

Upvote 0
No, no, and no. Vast majority of the noise at high ISOs is the result from the natural noisiness of light itself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_noise, nothing you can do about that*.

*Assuming conventional bayer (or similar) sensors.

What are you talking about? Noise inherent to light isn't relevant here...
I'm talking of the noise that is introduced by every camera when you set your camera to higher ISO settings. When you set your iso on your camera, all it does is digitally amplify the signal coming from the sensor. Before that though the micro voltage coming from each pixel goes through an analog amplifier which basically gives a camera its base ISO (let's say base ISO on your camera is 400). This is your cleanest ISO. When you change your ISO on the camera, this signal is then digitally amplified upwards or downwards depending on your setting. This is where digital noise is being introduced. This is basically comparable to digital zoom.
My suggestion is canon introduce 2 analog converters with 2 base iso levels. Say 1 at ISO 400 the other at say ISO 3200. Then combine those 2 clean signals to create clean output at a larger ISO range. This is basically like using a zoom lens instead of fixed focal length with digital zoom.
The Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera uses this technique already but for video. The difference is that they use one analog converter for all iso settings between ISO100 and up to iso 3000 (base iso set to 400 for this analog converter), and the other analog converter from ISO 3200 and higher (that 2nd analog converter base iso is set to iso 3200). That way you get clean images between iso 100 and iso 1800 then it starts degrading with increasing noise, but from ISO 3200 it's clean again before it starts degrading again from ISO8000 or there about. Of course that is on a tiny sensor of micro 4/3. If canon used this technique on a full frame sensor, the performance would be much nicer. On top of that I'm suggesting they combine both signals for the entire iso range in their digital amplification step.

Upvote 0
I believe it´s a no brainer that we still have things unknown and potencialy could surprise us (I mean....more than we are :D :D )! There are still things unknown that can be very interesting like the sensor resolution and performance. We assume that is a 43 or 45mp sensor wich I also think it is, but we can get some surprises there. Pixel shift or other similar technology is one of them. I think Canon will not leave this out of the R5. Olympus has it, Sony has it (I don´t know if Fuji has it too...) so i guess it would be a great add. This could give us between 80/100MP photos with a lot of detail.

Other things photographers do want is of course, better ISO performance and DR...This are always the common requests. I would also want lack of blackout, this is important! We could also have something like the "pro capture" of Olympus, basically after half-press the shutter, camera starts recording images in buffer (2 second record in Olympus I believe) and then after press the shutter those 2 seconds of stills are recorded. This is very useful in bird photography for example, or fast moving subjects when the action starts very fast and you miss it.

We could also have the digital ND filters, it´s so useful!!

Even if the camera doesn´t have nothing of this, for me it´s just ok, I am already impressed by the camera with what we know. If something more is added, just great!! :D

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
What are you talking about? Noise inherent to light isn't relevant here...
I'm talking of the noise that is introduced by every camera when you set your camera to higher ISO settings. When you set your iso on your camera, all it does is digitally amplify the signal coming from the sensor. Before that though the micro voltage coming from each pixel goes through an analog amplifier which basically gives a camera its base ISO (let's say base ISO on your camera is 400). This is your cleanest ISO. When you change your ISO on the camera, this signal is then digitally amplified upwards or downwards depending on your setting. This is where digital noise is being introduced. This is basically comparable to digital zoom.
My suggestion is canon introduce 2 analog converters with 2 base iso levels. Say 1 at ISO 400 the other at say ISO 3200. Then combine those 2 clean signals to create clean output at a larger ISO range. This is basically like using a zoom lens instead of fixed focal length with digital zoom.
The Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera uses this technique already but for video. The difference is that they use one analog converter for all iso settings between ISO100 and up to iso 3000 (base iso set to 400 for this analog converter), and the other analog converter from ISO 3200 and higher (that 2nd analog converter base iso is set to iso 3200). That way you get clean images between iso 100 and iso 1800 then it starts degrading with increasing noise, but from ISO 3200 it's clean again before it starts degrading again from ISO8000 or there about. Of course that is on a tiny sensor of micro 4/3. If canon used this technique on a full frame sensor, the performance would be much nicer. On top of that I'm suggesting they combine both signals for the entire iso range in their digital amplification step.
Yeah you could extend the dynamic range that way, but it would not make "20.000 iso that look like they were shot at 6.400 iso today". Sony and its sensors have dual gain too (similar to BMPCC), and it does help a bit but just a bit (less than a stop). The noise introduced by the camera is so small that there just is not much to gain there.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
What would be the benefits of this? Astro photography? Serious question...

Removing the IR-cut filter and replacing it with an specific IR filter would allow you to shoot infrared images without modifying your camera. And yes, this would have benefits for astrophotography too.

Anyway, pretty much zero chance of this being the secret new feature!

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah you could extend the dynamic range that way, but it would not make "20.000 iso that look like they were shot at 6.400 iso today". Sony and its sensors have dual gain too (similar to BMPCC), and it does help a bit but just a bit (less than a stop). The noise introduced by the camera is so small that there just is not much to gain there.
Not disagreeing with you here. Just want to point out that Canon DGO is different from what Sony is doing and seems closer to what ARRI cameras use to get their crazy DR numbers.

But I can't see them putting that in the R5. Unless the 1DX III has it as well and they just withheld it with firmware for shock value.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Not disagreeing with you here. Just want to point out that Canon DGO is different from what Sony is doing and seems closer to what ARRI cameras use to get their crazy DR numbers.

But I can't see them putting that in the R5. Unless the 1DX III has it as well and they just withheld it with firmware for shock value.
Yeah DGO is different in that it uses both gains at the same time by reading the separate halves of the pixel with different gains.

Could be that Canon didn't want to risk 1DX's release schedule by designing it with a DGO sensor and so opted for a more proven design. At the very least this is more probable than Canon jumping straight to a stacked sensor with R5 as some have suggested, especially at the rumored price point.

Upvote 0