There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Imagine a 20 minute exposure. That's 5 degrees of image shift at worst (at the celestial equator, less nearer the poles). With a wide or normal lens that is very little cropping to essentially "stack" a long sequence of exposures. For telephoto, it means that a tracking mount is not alignment critical. Notably, a smart system may well accommodate even rotational drift, and could include lens profiles to convert to a sprical projection for each image and then back to flat..
Please, read this link: Astrotracer

If you read it, you will notice the author finds they can get 4 minute tracks with excellent results. That's not 20 minutes. But what they get in 4 minutes is beautiful. Also, they mention they do have some issues with extremely wide angle lenses and mention the lens ranges that do work reliably.

Also, Olympus added star focusing and tracking in their new EM1mark3.

There's a lot of various ideas & features are being talked about here, that are already working in other cameras. If Canan simply copied & improved what has been done before then they could have the best of all of them. They have spectacular lenses & new bodies & sensors. The rest is "Just a firmware update away!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
What are you talking about? Noise inherent to light isn't relevant here...
I'm talking of the noise that is introduced by every camera when you set your camera to higher ISO settings.
That's the noise inherent to the light.

When you set your iso on your camera, all it does is digitally amplify the signal coming from the sensor.
Typically, it's the analog amplifier gain what is changed (at least for full stop changes from the base ISO).

However, for an ISO-invariant sensor (and the R5 sensor is expected to be very close to ISO-invariant, at least in mechanical shutter stills mode) there is no difference between analog and digital amplifying.

Before that though the micro voltage coming from each pixel goes through an analog amplifier which basically gives a camera its base ISO (let's say base ISO on your camera is 400).
The base ISO of your camera is given by the opaqueness of its Bayer filter, by the efficiency of the photoelectron conversion and by the amount of photoelectrons a sensor can hold per square mm of its area without overflowing. The base ISO of all modern color sensors is around 100.

This is where digital noise is being introduced.
First of all, digital noise is introduced by the captured light being a number of particles (photons).

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2020
I see an R10 battery Grip is going to be announced. What if this grip includes a fan system to deal with heat?? That would work wouldn't it? The ONLY side of the R5 we have NOT seen is the bottom. What if there is a cooling duct ports thingy that engages to this grip to allows airflow from the grip. So if you want to do extended 8K or 4K120 you would need to attach the grip.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
I see an R10 battery Grip is going to be announced. What if this grip includes a fan system to deal with heat?? That would work wouldn't it? The ONLY side of the R5 we have NOT seen is the bottom. What if there is a cooling duct ports thingy that engages to this grip to allows airflow from the grip. So if you want to do extended 8K or 4K120 you would need to attach the grip.

that would not be a feature it would be a drawback

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

Here is my guess for the "major new feature":
- Sensor cooling with Peltier -
-- major leap in noise reduction
-- first such feature in DSLR/DSLM (long time known in dedicated astro cameras)

With that feature, all of the sudden the new super tele primes with f/11 make sense: You can shoot BIF at dawn by bumping ISO to 25600. IQ will be like ISO 800 in non-cooled sensor.
Anything low-light will profit.
It is also the answer to the long discussed question how Canon manages heat when reading the sensor in 8k video.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Here is my guess for the "major new feature":
- Sensor cooling with Peltier -
-- major leap in noise reduction
-- first such feature in DSLR/DSLM (long time known in dedicated astro cameras)

With that feature, all of the sudden the new super tele primes with f/11 make sense: You can shoot BIF at dawn by bumping ISO to 25600. IQ will be like ISO 800 in non-cooled sensor.
Anything low-light will profit.
It is also the answer to the long discussed question how Canon manages heat when reading the sensor in 8k video.

One thing is certain: Canon wouldn't be making f/7.1 L zooms and f/11 primes if they didn't have insane (as in industry-shaking) improvements in store for high ISO noise. Canon must have achieved current f/5.6-level IQ at f/11. So that's the amount of light/improvement we're talking about here – at minimum, IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
FV+ mode, where you use each of the 4 dials (including lens dial) dedicated to each variable (aperture, shutter, ISO, compensation) so no more faffing about with moving from one variable to another with the back dial. And Canon, please make sure there is metering for full manual in this mode.
Why do you need four dials to control three variables?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
Which way, Mind-Control? I think I missed the joke, lol! o_O

I don't know if it is, but when thinking of an example, I remembered going to a Philipino funeral here in the USA, and asked my gf (of the same nationality) "why is he video taping a funeral?". Using a monopod, he recorded the entire funeral. Even she thought it was weird. :unsure:
I have been hired by Filipino families to photograph funerals. As I grew up in the Philippines I knew it was a thing.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
One thing is certain: Canon wouldn't be making f/7.1 L zooms and f/11 primes if they didn't have insane (as in industry-shaking) improvements in store for high ISO noise. Canon must have achieved current f/5.6-level IQ at f/11. So that's the amount of light/improvement we're talking about here – at minimum, IMO.

#what.are.you.smoking......

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0