There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
dual DVD-RW for backup

acoustic levitation (no more tripods needed)

battery grip that actually contains collapsible selfie stick instead of additional batteries

AI background blur hard coded to kick in at f/11, no override possible

exploiting both acoustic levitation and touch screen tech, the R5 will be fully controllable by nose touch

Challenge Mode unlocks 25 fps but requires manual shutter button clicks for each frame, IBIS and AF are disabled in this mode

Finally, Canon eliminates the need for intervalometers by extending exposure times to 32 seconds and allowing programmed series of pictures up to 4 frames long using command line interface for programming (alpha numeric keyboard input via joystick)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

martin_p_a

EOS RP
CR Pro
Jul 30, 2019
Montreal
Which way, Mind-Control? I think I missed the joke, lol! o_O

I don't know if it is, but when thinking of an example, I remembered going to a Philipino funeral here in the USA, and asked my gf (of the same nationality) "why is he video taping a funeral?". Using a monopod, he recorded the entire funeral. Even she thought it was weird. :unsure:

The « joke » was that I don’t think the funeral photography business really exists, so having a camera company implement features with them in mind would be too much to handle for funeral photographers...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Dumb question: IF the R5 had this, would the pixel density match the 7Dii? Let's say the R5 ends up at 42MP

To match the 7D's resolution with 1.6 crop, you need around 50MP. At 42MP you get around 16.5MP.
Considering the likely better and newer sensor in the R5 i say it will match the 7D in image quality.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
AI background blur hard coded to kick in at f/11, no override possible
:-D :-D :-D Great post =)

Though this point is not completely impossible. Maybe they can indeed collect some kind of depth information with the dual pixel AF and the IBIS combined?
Would be a rather funny/amateur/smartphone thing, but maybe there is some usefull stuff in this area = )

Upvote 0
The star tracking feature would make me seriously consider skipping the R6 and saving up even longer to get the R5.

I can't see the star tracking to be that good at all. It could help of course, but by how much? Olympus makes one, right? Or at least was about to when they announced it a few months ago. Are they saying it would be hand held or tripod a must?

Astronomers use star trackers (as you might already know, since you're interested in the camera feature) that cost around $350, that mount onto tripods. Those are ones where you might be able to use up to a 200 mm lens. Usually with those trackers you'll be using with a lens around 10-80mm. Anything longer than about 200 and you'll need a telescope mount/tracker (my Sky-Watcher HEQ5 goes for around $1050 and is considered an entry level model). With the longer FL, you need to get a guide scope camera and scope (at least a $250 combo) to help track it even more. Often they are used with a laptop to control and always require some sort of polar alignment (or plate solving). Even with all that, and my entry level mount, people see all types of flaws compared to more expense equipment.

Plus, you need to track the objects for quite some time. Often hours, in order to take multiple exposures (sometime hundred or more) of precisely tracked photos to be stacked in software.

I think for casual snapshots of non-deep sky object , but rather night sky/skyline, it would look better than a regular camera and ok for some people. Canon Ra much better for the serious astrophotographer. I would much rather purchase the R6 with a $350 star tracker, than the R5 with the tracker feature built in. It would cost way less and work much better for any astro type photography. I think people are saying the R6 will be better for low light, making it better for night sky. But if there is more than just the added star tracker feature you'd want that doesn't come with the R6, then the R5 may still be your best bet.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Not sure if the body is deep enough for that. Would be easier the other way around - move the sensor forward in EF camera. But then you would lose OVF.
I doubt it. That would negate the need to buy RF lenses as quickly when changing systems

Upvote 0
I will just be happy if they address some of the main issues I had with the R, including lack of joystick, better burst rate, improved EVF performance, general performance with action type shooting - some of those improvements seem like a given at this point. Anything else is basically icing on the cake. Unless we are missing something crucial, it should be a stellar all-rounder camera.

Upvote 0