There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

Jan 27, 2020
Lets hope it does not do that. None of the combine software does a excellent job without user tweaking. It might be fine for a smart phone, but not a pro level camera.
My Olympus E-M1 mark II does in-camera focus stacking with excellent results. It's limited to 9 shots, but for my purposes this has never been an issue, but I realize it might be for some shooting situations. I can even shoot hand held. Now, maybe being a smaller sensor helps in that regard - but it's certainly possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
"Since they noted, no more EF Lenses this would be a good trade off."

Did they actually say this somehwere? I have heard it a lot but not actually read anything official.
I can't say I remember exactly, but I am pretty sure they never said there would be no more new EF lenses. What I recall is that they said that they would be concentrating on RF lenses and there would be no new EF lenses for the foreseeable future. I think they may have actually said "next year". Forum users immediately took this as "never" and also concluded that mirrorless was now replacing DSLR's although Canon specifically said that the new R series cameras would complement DSLRs. I doubt Canon will throw away the majority of it's sales, which is still DSLRs.

Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
I can't say I remember exactly, but I am pretty sure they never said there would be no more new EF lenses. What I recall is that they said that they would be concentrating on RF lenses and there would be no new EF lenses for the foreseeable future. I think they may have actually said "next year". Forum users immediately took this as "never" and also concluded that mirrorless was now replacing DSLR's although Canon specifically said that the new R series cameras would complement DSLRs. I doubt Canon will throw away the majority of it's sales, which is still DSLRs.
Yeah...done unless photographers "demand more."

Upvote 0
I can't see the star tracking to be that good at all. It could help of course, but by how much? Olympus makes one, right? Or at least was about to when they announced it a few months ago. Are they saying it would be hand held or tripod a must?

Olympus hasn't implemented such a feature yet but Pentax has had that feature for years. You generally see roughly an order of magnitude increase in the exposure time you can get without star trails; so instead of rule of 500 you're looking at rule of 5000.

Upvote 0
Olympus hasn't implemented such a feature yet but Pentax has had that feature for years. You generally see roughly an order of magnitude increase in the exposure time you can get without star trails; so instead of rule of 500 you're looking at rule of 5000.

Thanks. I'll have to search for some example comparison pics.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Which way, Mind-Control? I think I missed the joke, lol! o_O

I don't know if it is, but when thinking of an example, I remembered going to a Philipino funeral here in the USA, and asked my gf (of the same nationality) "why is he video taping a funeral?". Using a monopod, he recorded the entire funeral. Even she thought it was weird. :unsure:
Yes, but it’s dying.

Upvote 0
I keep hoping that Canon and others will recognize that there are a lot of photographers that would prefer to have a version of their cameras without all the video firmware mucking up the system.

I've watched the Canon menu system become more complex and difficult to navigate as more and more video features are added to the firmware.
Features I've never even bothered to look at because I buy the camera to make pictures.

It would hopefully also permit them to offer the camera, without all the bloat, at a lower price as well.

I know this is shouting into a gale, but just thought it was worth saying. :)

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I had to go research this one, and holy crap I can't believe it, they don't have it! Simple feature that EVERYONE ELSE HAS. And I'm starting to remember why I grew to hate Canon over the years. I hope the R5 is their redemption.
A total of three posts since you joined yesterday that all bash Canon. On a Canon centric website. Makes a person wonder why you joined.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0