There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Doesn't matter if there are a "lot"of people who want this, it won't happen because it's not a marketable camera, especially in today's badly injured market, but why on earth would they need two versions of the camera? A simple menu option to "hide video modes" would do the trick.
Or better yet, a stills/cinema switch which automatically changes the menus from video to stills like what’s Sigma are doing in the fp.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I know some have wondered about a stacked sensor. I think that's very possible! :D

But this feature just came to mind:
What if they finally had a BSI (backside illuminated) sensor?
That'd be great for increased quantum efficiency!
I have a feeling that this may not happen, at least not until they have a 80+ MP chip.
But man, that'd be news if it happened! :oops:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
But UGH. This drives me crazy because Olympus pixel shift has supported flash from the very first time they implemented it in the E-M5 Mark II, which is, as far as I know, the first time anyone ever implemented it. And then everyone else came along an copies it, but worse.

You Olympians have an M5 Mark II, which is more than we Canon users can say.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

rwvaughn

Live in the moment.
Mar 22, 2016
Southern Indiana, USA
Not a feature, but would absolutely love seeing a development announcement for a 5D Mark V with the promise to throw everything they can at it as a statement for their last DSLR.

It's only my opinion, but I think you already have the last 5D DSLR in your hands. If the R5 lives up to its hype and still has unannounced surprises in store the 5DV will never come to market.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Zero need for 5DV and I agree will never see the light of day.

That and an RF crop camera are two things I doubt will ever exist. They'd be more likely to make a "super EOS-M" (Mk 5-II?) to satisfy the crop people (or just expect them to put an R5 in crop mode, even if it is much more expensive).

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I had to go research this one, and holy crap I can't believe it, they don't have it! Simple feature that EVERYONE ELSE HAS. And I'm starting to remember why I grew to hate Canon over the years. I hope the R5 is their redemption.

Doesn't the 1DX line have this?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
To think what can be possible+interesting with the current tech...

IBIS:
- pixel-shift
Sensor electronics (must be really specific to R5 - as R6 has "existing" sensor from 1D):
- Global shutter/other electronic shutter manipulations
- Faster readout, making it possible to involve some smartphone-style techniques (below)
Processing:
- image-stacking (imagine giving FF sensor to some state of the art algorithms from smartphone cameras - some crazy DR/ISO performance out there)
- depth maps from dual pixel (smartphones already do this) or some related perks
Peripherals, flash control, etc
- tons of possibilities, most of them are boring. But you never guess...

PS: I'll bet for pixel-shift, because:
- basically all the competition is doing it already =)
- doesn't seem difficult to implement.
- will justify for "R5-only feature" - those who want to squeze more MP from stills won't go for R6 anyway.

Pixel-shift: Ok, within 4/32'000 sec. electronically - So you can take real time Images :)

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Apparently yes, but it's a strange feature to artificially withhold from "lower-end" cameras.

I'm not going to turn into one of those forumers (defending Canon for not including features), but it does feel like a niche mode, and I'm not surprised it's only in the 1DX line. Why? Because generally speaking, you can get great exposures using other tools, especially on a mirrorless system with a WYSIWYG EVF.

That said, iPhones do it, so it feels like it should be standard.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
It's not a deal breaking omission, but the fact that it's such a niche mode is precisely what makes it peculiar to restrict it to the 1 line. It's one of those things that's been there on every camera I've used for the last 5+ years, and if I hadn't read this thread I'd have assumed it would be on Canons too, because why wouldn't it be?

But what do I know, I'm just obsessively drooling over the R5 and "bashing" Canon to kill time while I wait lol.

No, it being a niche mode is exactly why they would restrict it to the 1DX line. Think about it: would it make more sense to keep a highly popular feature 1DX-exclusive? Don't get me wrong, I think it should be included everywhere (and I would probably use it, especially for eye and face tracking), but there's at least some logic to what they've done.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
It's only my opinion, but I think you already have the last 5D DSLR in your hands. If the R5 lives up to its hype and still has unannounced surprises in store the 5DV will never come to market.

I have to ask this question of the original poster. If Canon can close the gap on battery life AND significantly reduce the latency between the image sensor and EVF, do you really care if they don't release a 5d V? If I did not shoot wildlife, I would have already migrated to a mirrorless because it has advantages over a DSLR. If you saw Fros review of the 1dx III, he loved the capability of the 1dx III when shooting his cobbled together "mirrorless" equivalent using the rear LCD panel. He was raving about the 1dx III as the example of what Canon could do with mirrorless rather than shooting as a DSLR. Whether you like Fro or not (he can be obnoxious), he did a pretty thorough comparison. I have already sold off my 5dIV and "landscape" oriented equipment, the 1dx II and wildlife stuff will go if the R5 fixes the two main issues with mirrorless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
I have to ask this question of the original poster. If Canon can close the gap on battery life AND significantly reduce the latency between the image sensor and EVF, do you really care if they don't release a 5d V? If I did not shoot wildlife, I would already have migrated to a mirrorless because I it has advantages over a DSLR. If you saw Fros review of the 1dx III, he loved the capability of the 1dx III when shooting his cobbled together "mirrorless" equivalent using the rear LCD panel. He was raving about the 1dx III as the example of what Canon could do with mirrorless rather than shooting as a DSLR. Whether you like Fro or not (he can be obnoxious), he did a pretty thorough comparison. If have already sold off my 5dIV and "landscape" oriented equipment, the 1dx II and wildlife stuff will go if the R5 fixes the two main issues.

I think it's time we move on from DSLRs. It's not like people won't be able to buy and use them for the next 50 years (hellllloooo, EBay), but with battery life and EVF issues addressed, I don't see a need for new ones (in before someone comments "the market determines the need! Canon will make what the market wants!")

Anyway, I preach the end of DSLRs while browsing 60-year-old Yashica TLR bodies :sneaky:

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
But what do I know, I'm just obsessively drooling over the R5 and "bashing" Canon to kill time while I wait lol.
Best don't get to upset with that. There genuinely are a lot of people who join the forum just to express how hard they are thinking about switching to Sony, or that they are disappointed with Canon. These people are just annoying, since they often act as if everybody who disagrees with them is delusional or does not see the light. Which is not the case, many are aware that there are limitations to the Canon system but simply don't care, as the limitations of other systems outweigh them for their personal use case.

These folks have been seen way less often since the R5 leak :ROFLMAO: But they may have left some members feeling a bit too sensitive about such or similar behavior, even to the point where it will be mistaken as such.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I'm not going to turn into one of those forumers (defending Canon for not including features), but it does feel like a niche mode, and I'm not surprised it's only in the 1DX line. Why? Because generally speaking, you can get great exposures using other tools, especially on a mirrorless system with a WYSIWYG EVF.

That said, iPhones do it, so it feels like it should be standard.
I can understand it not being in general purpose cameras but it is flat out wierd that my 7d2 does not have it

Upvote 0