There is talk of a Canon RF 20-50mm f/4-5.6 IS STM [CR1]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I disagree. I think it's a great wide to normal range. I understand some have issues with short zoom ranges such as the Sigma 24-35 but it is a very good lens imho. This might be as well.
Hey... 24-35 F2.0 is a specialty, an extremely wide and constant aperture lens. Whether the 20-50/whatever slow variable lens sounds like a kit but is waaaay too limited for an average consumer wanting a single lens do it all :)
Too limited for traveling either So....

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
If interesting was very, very NOT interesting

Got to be one of the worst aperture and zoom rangers I've heard of in recent memory.

What's next, a 50-87 f5.6-6.3. No IS.
Why so? good DOF for varied depth scenes - f8+ and wide enough to capture the whole scene or nip it in a bit.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
While a zoom lens won't be a "pancake," it may be collapsible to a near-pancake storage condition. The Nikon crop frame 16-50mm kit lens is 135g, 32mm long from flange when collapsed (not much longer than an EF adapter), and $300.

A FF lens would need to scale up in most respects, but there may be similarities.

For references, the smallest Canon RF lens is the RF 35mm, which is more than double the length (63mm) and weight (300g), and nearly double the price ($500).

On IS, I'd add that I assume that the entry level market values this because it's much more understandable than things like F numbers. Until all bodies they might consider have IBIS, I predict that consumer kit zoom lenses will have IS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
It wouldn't have good optics, so I'm not interested.

They are presumably not trying to interest a discerning expert like you. Consumers presumably trust that a Canon lens is good and will take good pictures.

(You realize you said with unqualified confidence about a lens that doesn't exist and you can't have tested that "It wouldn't have good optics"?) ;-)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
20mm f/4 for FF at the short end won't be all that small. It may be light and relatively small, but likely not anything close to a pancake. A 20 to 24 mm crop lens can be small and also 35-40mm FF, but not so easy with 20mm FF and zoom and IS take space as well.
When I read that my mature EF mind agrees but my infantile RF mind wonders if that's no longer true.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
When I read that my mature EF mind agrees but my infantile RF mind wonders if that's no longer true.
It could be collapsible like some of the M lenses, but the objective will still have to be a reasonable size to make 20mm work well. 28-50 could be much smaller, but not nearly as flexible. I like the range. The 11-22 on the M is a delightful lens and this new lens translates to 12.5-31.25mm, which would be better for general purpose use but still cover the wide end well. It is worth noting that the 11-22 is collapsible, but it is still one of the biggest and heaviest of the M series lenses. If this lens has the kind of IQ that the 11-22 has, it will be wildly popular. In fact, that could be the trigger that gets me to buy an R body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It could be collapsible like some of the M lenses, but the objective will still have to be a reasonable size to make 20mm work well. 28-50 could be much smaller, but not nearly as flexible. I like the range. The 11-22 on the M is a delightful lens and this translates to 12.5-35, which would be better for general purpose use but still cover the wide end well. It is worth noting that the 11-22 is collapsible, but it is still one of the biggest and heaviest of the M series lenses. If this lens has the kind of IQ that the 11-22 has, it will be wildly popular. In fact, that could be the trigger that gets me to buy an R body.
17.5mm to 35 mm you mean...

Upvote 0