These are a few of the RF lenses coming in 2021 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Now that we have seen the likely lens roadmap for 2020, It’s time to move onto 2021, and below are a few lenses that I know are scheduled to be announced next year.
I don’t have all the information about these lenses, but the focal lengths are legitimate. None of these lenses will be L lenses.

Canon RF 18-45mm IS STM
I don’t know if this is for full-frame, or perhaps a kit lens for an APS-C RF camera. Though I don’t believe we’ll ever see “RF-S” lenses.
Canon RF 24mm Macro IS
I have no information on the focus motor or what type of macro capabilities the lens will have.
Canon RF 100-400mm IS USM
This will be a non-L 100-400mm lens.

I haven’t received the same kind of information about upcoming L lenses in 2021, but there is a lot in the works according to various bits of information I have received over the last few months.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I suspect they won't release APS-C lenses, and the 18-45 will cover the full image circle for full frame, it might be optimized for APS-C (assuming they release an APS-C R body, which is far from certain) and require some hefty in-camera correction to get it to look reasonable on full frame.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Interesting scope of lenses. If the 18 - 45 was a FF lens, it would be cool, if IQ was good.

Hm, 24mm macro sounds weird for me...
I suppose it is a 1:2 macro like the 35.
It's like Canon thinking: 'The optical formula can do it, so why not offer it to the customer.'

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
As a user of the EF f4 L series zooms, and since Canon has primarily focused on the RF f2 or 2.8 L series zooms, I now wish Canon would address the RF f4 series zooms more adequately. They have an RF 24-105f4 L and and upcoming RF 70-200’f4 L. Not any in the f4 ultrawide yet. Its sort of unlikely that I would upgrade to an expensive R body until the f4 L line is complete.
As I see it now, if I do add another Canon body it would probably be the R6 with an adapter to use my 17-40 L and 70-200’f4 L. Both are non IS lenses. I would then still use my 5DIV also.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
No reason for the 18-45 to be sub-par or APS-C, we have had a very good EF 17-40 L for many years, so designing a new lens with added flexibility of the RF mount and modern lens design capabilities it should be a breeze for Canon to pull off a full-frame RF 18-45, albeit probably not an L. IS is a fair trade for what may be a non-constant maximum aperture (3.5 - 4.5? 4 - 5.6?).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As usual, it seems like Canon is about 10 steps ahead of us. Instead of simply duplicating the EF line, I feel like they are creating an entirely new line of lenses and we should not expect that RF lenses will have EF equivalents or that EF lenses will have RF equivalents.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
I've seen nothing concrete t suggest APS-c will ever resurface in RF. Its closer to to camera phones and EF-M lenses/bodies somewhat cover this area anyway - meanwhile longer cheaper lenses and TC's are appearing for the FF bodies to get FF shooters nearer their subjects - an APS-C feature.
For the next few years there will still be loads of APS-C EF camera's around, and then stock levels to run down, followed by a decent second hand market in RF FF bodies. The RP body is now only £1150 with adapter pretty much the same as a EOS 90D.
Would canon need to chase the £300 EOS 4000D market with RF lenses when its still trying to pull xxD and XXXD users up into the FF market. Mirrorless still has a mechanical shutter and until they lose that it may not be worth pursuing the value end of the market.
I actually hope i'm wrong and APS-c is possible soon, but they are doing so much elsewhere that's great too so i see them focusing there for now..

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
And this makes life hard (unless you have just won the lotto). The 70-200 2.8 IS is awe-inspiring and very tempting (my first "L" lens in EF was the 70-200 2.8 ISL), but the 70-135 L is mouthwatering for portrait (with an IBIS body, extra $$), and for travel I have got used to taking my EF 100-400L for years, so the RF 100-500L is on the list too. Except that as a non-professional, you can't have 'em all :(

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I've seen nothing concrete t suggest APS-c will ever resurface in RF. Its closer to to camera phones and EF-M lenses/bodies somewhat cover this area anyway - meanwhile longer cheaper lenses and TC's are appearing for the FF bodies to get FF shooters nearer their subjects - an APS-C feature.
For the next few years there will still be loads of APS-C EF camera's around, and then stock levels to run down, followed by a decent second hand market in RF FF bodies. The RP body is now only £1150 with adapter pretty much the same as a EOS 90D.
Would canon need to chase the £300 EOS 4000D market with RF lenses when its still trying to pull xxD and XXXD users up into the FF market. Mirrorless still has a mechanical shutter and until they lose that it may not be worth pursuing the value end of the market.
I actually hope i'm wrong and APS-c is possible soon, but they are doing so much elsewhere that's great too so i see them focusing there for now..
The fact that the EOS RP + 24-105 f4-7.1 is currently 999$ at B&H is a solid proof that we won't see aps-c RF cameras. Also, there is the M line for small and compact camera.

Link if you wanna grab this super sweet deal:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1558260-REG/canon_3380c132_eos_rp_mirrorless_digital.html

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0