This is just a Sunday reminder of the Canon EOS R5 specifications

It's only old news when we have to start rehashing specs on previously released bodies. On the bright side, at least Canon is still in business and is producing numerous products. Can't say that for some others. Patience is a virtue. When I was in the Navy, one of my shore duty cycles was at the Naval Air Development Center as one of 13 Navy guys and 2,000 civilians. We developed new Anti-Submarine Warfare systems for the P-3 Orion. From concept, design, build, install, test, fleet evaluation, congressional funding, contracts, and finally delivery to the fleet took about 7 years! With the advent of computer aided design and simulation, is quicker now but not as fast as companies like Apple or Canon. R&D is slow and expensive.

Upvote 0
Good question.

I'd predict no at 20fps and yes at 12fps.

It's helpful to look at what the 1DXiii is capable of video-wise as this is probably the bigger bottleneck in terms of card data writing:
5.5k 12-bit raw @ 60fps. The frame is 5472*2286 -> 1073MB/s

Canon hasn't confirmed the bit depth of the R5 raw video - we just know it's 8kDCI (8192x4320) and 29.97fps. Let's look at how many pixels/second each camera is pushing in raw video at their highest frame rates:
1DXiii: 750,539,520 pixels/s
R5: 1,060,621,516.8 pixels/s

So, the R5 is pushing 41% more pixels in raw video over the same CFexpress interface at its peak frame rate compared to the 1DXiii at its peak frame rate, so I'd guess Canon will be nerfing the bit depth a bit compared to the 1DXiii. At 8bits, the data rates at the highest frame rates are very close (So, I'd predict the R5 has 8 bit raw video, at least at it's highest frame rate. At 23.98 fps it could conceivably fit in the 1GB/s envelope at 10 bit although I kind of doubt that Canon would go to that sort of trouble)
I disagree. The rate will be 500MB/s at 12 bit RAW. R5 has different resolutions and frame rates, but they will likely be similar to what we see in the 1Dx Mark III. 470Mbps for 4K 30p 422 10 hit H265. And between 1.8 and 2.2 Gbps for 8K 30 fps 422 10 bit H265.

Regarding 8K raw. Uncompressed 8K RAW 12bit at 30fps will eat up 12.7 Gbps or 1.59 GB/s. Given that CFexpress cards vary in write speed from 600MB/s for 64GB cards to 1400MB/s for 512GB cards, that is a no go. The RAW has to be compress to some degree. Cinema RAW light has an compression of 3.15:1. Same compression ratio that 1Dx, c200, c300m3 and c500m2 uses. That would make 8K RAW from the R5 to be 4.0 Gbps or 505MB/s. This just fits on any CFexpress card of any size, just.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Tease.

So the announcement will be in July of 2020. Availability will be in July of 202?

Still no firm price info.

I have a question for y'all based on previous experience. Does Canon update the firmware before shipping to their dealers? Might there be a warehouse full of these things in NY someplace with one lone overworked guy coming in and updating the bodies one at a time?

Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
I disagree. The rate will be 500MB/s at 12 bit RAW. R5 has different resolutions and frame rates, but they will likely be similar to what we see in the 1Dx Mark III. 470Mbps for 4K 30p 422 10 hit H265. And between 1.8 and 2.2 Gbps for 8K 30 fps 422 10 bit H265.

Regarding 8K raw. Uncompressed 8K RAW 12bit at 30fps will eat up 12.7 Gbps or 1.59 GB/s. Given that CFexpress cards vary in write speed from 600MB/s for 64GB cards to 1400MB/s for 512GB cards, that is a no go. The RAW has to be compress to some degree. Cinema RAW light has an compression of 3.15:1. Same compression ratio that 1Dx, c200, c300m3 and c500m2 uses. That would make 8K RAW from the R5 to be 4.0 Gbps or 505MB/s. This just fits on any CFexpress card of any size, just.

Gosh, if it outputs 12 bit raw, this could slot it a notch above the C500ii in terms of IQ (although the C500ii would still have a lot of pluses from a video workflow standpoint). I figured bit depth might be one place where they differentiate.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
July... *yawn*... okay... I'll go back to sleep :sleep:
Good question.

I'd predict no at 20fps and yes at 12fps.

It's helpful to look at what the 1DXiii is capable of video-wise as this is probably the bigger bottleneck in terms of card data writing:
5.5k 12-bit raw @ 60fps. The frame is 5472*2286 -> 1073MB/s

Canon hasn't confirmed the bit depth of the R5 raw video - we just know it's 8kDCI (8192x4320) and 29.97fps. Let's look at how many pixels/second each camera is pushing in raw video at their highest frame rates:
1DXiii: 750,539,520 pixels/s
R5: 1,060,621,516.8 pixels/s

So, the R5 is pushing 41% more pixels in raw video over the same CFexpress interface at its peak frame rate compared to the 1DXiii at its peak frame rate, so I'd guess Canon will be nerfing the bit depth a bit compared to the 1DXiii. At 8bits, the data rates at the highest frame rates are very close (So, I'd predict the R5 has 8 bit raw video, at least at it's highest frame rate. At 23.98 fps it could conceivably fit in the 1GB/s envelope at 10 bit although I kind of doubt that Canon would go to that sort of trouble)

Now onto images:
raw image files will be a full 8192x5262 (3:2) pixels.
If those are 14bit, 20fps yields a data rate of 1494 MB/s - a bit higher than the data rates we see in the 1DXiii and enough so that I doubt the CFexpress interface could keep up (especially not with cards that are available today). At 12fps, the data rate drops down to 896 MB/s which is in the envelope of what the 1DXiii can manage.

So with mechanical shutter you're probably never going to fill the buffer. With electronic shutter, you'll start off with a 20fps burst and then drop to 14 fps or so once the buffer is saturated - which is still pretty respectable.

If you want to shoot this way, you should probably be saving up for CFexpress cards as much as you're saving up for the camera.

Also - this totally ignores the UHS-II SD card which is much slower.
It's already June.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
What is it about “rumor” that people find so difficult to understand? There was a rumor that it would be announced in May. Then a rumor it would be announced in June. Now there is a rumor that it will be announced in July.

Canon has never promised you an announcement date so whining about delays is just childish.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Gosh, if it outputs 12 bit raw, this could slot it a notch above the C500ii in terms of IQ (although the C500ii would still have a lot of pluses from a video workflow standpoint). I figured bit depth might be one place where they differentiate.
Yes and no. 500 MB/s is no joke. You'll be burning hard drives like no tomorrow. Even though drives are affordable, large arrays capable to keep up including the backup does not come cheap. C500 would make more economical sense from just a hard drive perspective, obviously apart from all the other video specific features. ND, clog 2 and clog 3 in h265, compared to "only" clog on R5. R5 is looking to be a great b/c cam and for special shots where small spaces and resolution is of importance. Proper 8K recording needs higher compression than what cinema raw light provides to be practical.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It does starts to feel like an annoying marketing game where the customers who are planning an investment are not top of mind. I can understand the marketing logic of communicating final specs after the Sony new A7 x announcement but sigh... if the camera is that good, this should not really matter and @Canon marketeers: I think the long wait is not good for your brand either.
You do realise that you are on a RUMOUR website that has no affiliation with Canon? All these so called release dates are someone’s guesswork at best. Canon have never advised a solid product to market release date for R5.
You guys have no idea what’s going on In markets right now. There are some massive issues at manufacturers hand at this stage. This forum regulars are not a good representation of the market in general.
I trust that R5 won’t disappoint however please stop whining and complaining. Hope it does make sense.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0