This is possibly the worst photo I've ever taken.

May 31, 2011
So it was night... around 1a.m. and I see three deer out in a corn field looking for scraps. I first tried some photos at iso 6400, aperture f/2.8, 100mm (I didn't have my 70-200mm with me), and while I did have my tripod with me... I didn't want to get out of the car because it would spook the deer. I'm manually focusing and using IS. So I tried my best to stabilize myself and snap a few shots with the hope that some were clear (the car was still running so I'm sure that added a little bit of shake).

Nope.

So I turned around and tried again. Some awful results. So I put on my 580 ex ii and I'm manually focusing and I wait for the deer to get blurry and then turn it the other way and I try and find the middle... thinking that they are far enough away that I should have decent depth of field even at f/2.8.

Nope.

Evidently I was was horribly front focused... and now I'm wondering... did I re focus... I had to... I wouldn't look through the viewfinder and think that this was ok. So I get out of my car and the deer surprisingly weren't spooked... snap snap snap... and then deer were spooked.

So... here's my question... is there a technique for shooting in the dark? the 580 has the IR beams, but at that distance, they didn't do squat...

I didn't really miss a once in a lifetime event... the dear are always hanging out in that field, but still I like to think that after all these years I have enough competency to be able to take a freaking deer photo in the near dark.

Attachments

• _96A6022.5.jpg
    _96A6022.5.jpg
    866.1 KB · Views: 850
  • _96A6027.5.jpg
    _96A6027.5.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 862

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I guess setting up remote flashes is out of the question :)

On a really deserted road (no danger of causing accident) you could try turning the car for that deer-in-the-headlights look....

If you get out of the car, switch off the interior light first, and step out of the far side of the car where you are less visible, and don't shut the door. If the motor is off you can use the roof of the car to steady the camera.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
jdramirez said:
So... here's my question... is there a technique for shooting in the dark? the 580 has the IR beams, but at that distance, they didn't do squat...

6d (-3LV vf) or Magic Lantern - the latter has a "night view" mode that boosts the live view display so you can manually focus in near-darkness.

Upvote 0