Re: This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X8

Comparison of dimensions:

100D/SL1:
Size: 116,8 x 90,7 x 69,4 mm
Weight: 407 g

200D/SL2:
Size: 122.4 x 92.6 x 69.8 mm
Weight: 453 g

Some 5 % wider, 2 % higher, almost the same depth.
8 % more volume and almost 12 % havier.

So not smaller and lighter but slightly bigger and heavier.
Therefor you'll get a vari-angle screen and a bigger battery.
Fair deal IMO.

Upvote 0

rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
ahsanford said:
Holy balls -- they got a tilty-flippy on a tiny SL# body?!

Was that expected? Presume that means DPAF is onboard as well.

- A

That is a surprise. Vari-angle touch screen, smaller, lighter, and probably cheaper than the T7i.

it won't be cheaper. the SL1 was originally a pretty pricy camera at 799 body + 18-55

Ok, in which case I'd opt for the T7i, which is already quite light weight, unless there's some other advantage of the SL2

Upvote 0

NO 4K! Canon is doomed!!!!

Oh wait, this isn't the 6DMk2 forum, oops.

It looks like a decent body. As someone already mentioned though, what will Canon do with their numbering in the coming years.

I have a Canon 300D, 30D, 550D, 700D and a 5DMk2. I can see the 300D being in trouble :)

Canons 1st DSLRs (that I can remember) were the d30 and d60 (sounds very Nikon doesn't it).

Perhaps they can start to use a different moniker to the 'd'?

Canon 300DX (oh no, that sounds familiar to)

Will we see the 80.1D Next :)

Alan.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Etienne said:
rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
ahsanford said:
Holy balls -- they got a tilty-flippy on a tiny SL# body?!

Was that expected? Presume that means DPAF is onboard as well.

- A

That is a surprise. Vari-angle touch screen, smaller, lighter, and probably cheaper than the T7i.

it won't be cheaper. the SL1 was originally a pretty pricy camera at 799 body + 18-55

Ok, in which case I'd opt for the T7i, which is already quite light weight, unless there's some other advantage of the SL2

Just size really.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

wildwalker said:
NO 4K! Canon is doomed!!!!

And no dual card slots! This camera is worthless!

Hah!

Seriously, very, very interesting, especially in light of the new Tamron super-zoom and the new Sigma 400mm "C" zoom. A very light setup for hiking. Checks a lot of boxes for me: compact size, great sensor, likely improved autofocus, flip screen, touch screen, wifi, optical view finder. Plus it's really cute!

This is a great alternative for those of us who would like a compact camera but don't care for mirrorless.

Upvote 0

WAY back in 2013 ;D, I was shooting with a 6D and an SL1. SL1 for small travel, 6D for everything else. My G.A.S. has taken me in many different paths since then, right now I'm shooting with Nikon.

I like what I see with the 6DII and the SL2 that I think I will go back to that combo. Ultimately I think those 2 cameras' predecessors were perfect for all my usage.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

I'm too spoiled by AFMA to buy a camera without it now. Which means mirrorless to go small, I know. Maybe in a few more generations, Canon will catch up with FUJISONYOLYMPUS in that line? ::)

Seriously, is it that much smaller than the 80D to trade away features?

Upvote 0

Maximilian said:
Comparison of dimensions:

100D/SL1:
Size: 116,8 x 90,7 x 69,4 mm
Weight: 407 g

200D/SL2:
Size: 122.4 x 92.6 x 69.8 mm
Weight: 453 g

Some 5 % wider, 2 % higher, almost the same depth.
8 % more volume and almost 12 % havier.

So not smaller and lighter but slightly bigger and heavier.
Therefor you'll get a vari-angle screen and a bigger battery.
Fair deal IMO.

Exactly my thoughts. Some might say the T7i is small and light enough, but that comes in as follows:
Size: 131.0 x 99.9 x 76.2mm
Weight: 532 g

For me, that 79 g (3 ounces) and 8.6 x 7.3 x 6.4 mm in size difference makes the SL2 a full level smaller than a T7i, which is a full level smaller than an 80D.

The great news here, is that Canon will now have a wide selection of bodies in varying sizes, all with the better 24 MP sensor and the latest Digic processors for noise control. Throw in the upgraded AF systems over earlier generations, and everyone should find what they want. My choice is an SL2, YMMV.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Sporgon said:
Yes I'll be in for one of these, having sold my M3 after my flirtation with the futuristic mirrorless systems have left me feeling somewhat cheated.

So the rumours of it being smaller than the 100D were wrong, it is in fact a smidgen larger and heavier. Looking at the pictures I find the top command dial interesting, it looks better stuff than the horrible rough plastic wheels on the other Rebels. I hope this, along with the weight, may be signs that the tangeable quality of the body is improved.

You are correct -- the SL2 is bigger, though always take my scaling method below (the hotshoe is my fiducial marker of choice) with a grain of salt.

Besides the tilty-flippy, the grip changes stand out. I'm not going to add a recent Rebel or XXXXD grip size to that picture, but I'm wondering how close it might be.

- A

Attachments

• SL2 top view.jpg
    SL2 top view.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 0

rrcphoto said:
applecider said:
Now leak us the AF specifications, I'm hoping for some f8 cross types in double digit quantities (hoping not expecting).

one rumor suggested the same AF as the T7i / T7s systems. it won't be better than that anyways.

http://tinyurl.com/y8p8xhdo

I would be thrilled with that. Forty-five points and even one of them f/8? Sign me up.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

michi said:
I have an SL1 with a EF-S 15-85 and it's a fantastic vacation combo. Pretty sure I'll get the SL2 if the price comes down enough. Do we know anything about price yet?

The 15-85 was a great "cover a little bit of everything" lens when I owned it. However, it was not a terribly small lens. I'd think that would just not balance well on this small of a camera.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

YuengLinger said:
I'm too spoiled by AFMA to buy a camera without it now. Which means mirrorless to go small, I know. Maybe in a few more generations, Canon will catch up with FUJISONYOLYMPUS in that line? ::)

I tend to agree. If I want small/light/travel (and especially at a crop size sensor) I think that today mirrorless is the way to go. Also, Canon's EF-S lens lineup leaves a bit to be desired (lack of wide angle primes is a huge gap).

I shoot too much fast glass to lose AFMA as well at this point in my photography life.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Luds34 said:
YuengLinger said:

I tend to agree. If I want small/light/travel (and especially at a crop size sensor) I think that today mirrorless is the way to go. Also, Canon's EF-S lens lineup leaves a bit to be desired (lack of wide angle primes is a huge gap).

I shoot too much fast glass to lose AFMA as well at this point in my photography life.

+1

Small DOF / large aperture needs --> how do I hold that weight with a dainty grip --> get a bigger rig with a chunkier grip.

For that reason, as capable as this rig might turn out to be, this is a backup / travel / hiking camera to me. It may be gold for travel folks, vloggers, non-camera-owning folks scared of how 'big' Rebels are, etc. as a primary rig, but for so many other realms of photography, I just think it would handcuff too many users.

I'm sure it will sell well, don't get me wrong. I just don't see avid photographers retiring their 80D, 7D2 or 6D1 and using an SL1 or SL2 as a primary daily driver.

- A

Upvote 0