This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X9

Re: This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X8

mahdi_mak2000 said:
have anyone noticed that it has 5 screw on bayonet mount? whyyy?? I guess canon used thinner metal (cheap ass) for bayonet and to avoid bend and dent why add one more screw to it. even top of the line canons has only 4 of them

The 100D seems to have had 5 as well, see
http://www.canon.co.uk/Images/EOS-100D_Angle3_tcm14-1034597.jpg

Upvote 0

rs said:
It looks like the same old 9 point AF system, if what's viewable in the mirror from that front view is anything to go by:

Right now, I'd not read too much into that. If you look at the 5DIV box there's a disclaimer saying 'all images are simulated'. I'd not be all that surprised if that's the case here as well.

Two things come to mind though - if it does turn out to have the 9 point AF then will there be other compromises? Could this perhaps get the non-DPAF 24Mpix sensor from the T6i/T6s ? Does it stay with an older generation Digic like the T6/1300D did ?

Secondly, is this camera simply not aimed at the vocal folks here who want 300 AF points, 20fps stills, 8K video @ 240fps, dual slots, 18 stops DR and a kitchen sink - all for $300 ?

Instead maybe it's aimed at the folks who will never use anything other than green box mode and will prefer tilty flippy lcd with liveview to the OVF. Those people will likely be very happy if it gets DPAF and really not care that it's only got the 9 point AF module.

Upvote 0

Don Haines said:
9 points is unacceptable on a modern camera

Careful, you're dangerously close to sounding like the 'no 4K / dual slot is unacceptable' crowd ;)

I might agree with you, but there's some precedent for Canon doing this if you look at the 1200D / 1300D they stuck with 18Mpix and 9 AF points across that transition.

Maybe there's some hope for the 200D though as it seems to have had a bump from 18Mpix to 24Mpix. However I wonder if a 24Mpix DPAF plus tilty-flippy screen means they're aiming at the people who will use that in preference to the OVF and so th 9 point AF isn't perceived to be a problem.

Or of course the images are just photoshopped 100D images meant for box / manuals and we'll get a pleasant surprise when it's something more than 9 point.

Upvote 0

Maximilian said:
Dvash7 said:
Quick question. ...

How do you think this will this stack up against the 7D in terms of IQ, ISO noise, AF capabilities?
IQ, ISO noise should be noticeably better because of new sensor and image processor. At least one step. If ISO 800 was fine on your 7D, now 1600 should do the job.
AF capabilities? Good question. As you can read above, we have the fear that'll get the (5 year old) 9 point AF of the 700D/T5i. This would be a big step back compared to your 7D. If it gets the latest AF of the 800D/T7i or at least the 19 point af of the 70D that would be rather fine.

Wait and hope for the AF specs next week... :-\

Thanks, I might just have to compromise on the AF front if all else is equal and/or better.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague

foo said:
Don Haines said:

Careful, you're dangerously close to sounding like the 'no 4K / dual slot is unacceptable' crowd ;)

I might agree with you, but there's some precedent for Canon doing this if you look at the 1200D / 1300D they stuck with 18Mpix and 9 AF points across that transition.

Maybe there's some hope for the 200D though as it seems to have had a bump from 18Mpix to 24Mpix. However I wonder if a 24Mpix DPAF plus tilty-flippy screen means they're aiming at the people who will use that in preference to the OVF and so th 9 point AF isn't perceived to be a problem.

Or of course the images are just photoshopped 100D images meant for box / manuals and we'll get a pleasant surprise when it's something more than 9 point.

My thoughts exactly. DPAF + VariAngle should do just fine even with just 9 AF points. But follow up question is, why Canon even bothered with OVF in the first place. This camera could do with EVF just fine, eliminating the protruding front bulk of the pentamirror housing. Basicly a merging of M5 and 100D with native EF/EF-S mount :)

Upvote 0

Khalai said:
But follow up question is, why Canon even bothered with OVF in the first place. This camera could do with EVF just fine, eliminating the protruding front bulk of the pentamirror housing. Basicly a merging of M5 and 100D with native EF/EF-S mount :)

Perhaps that's one of those cost compromises.. does an EVF cost more than a pentamirror ?

I'd not be surprised if removing the mirrorbox and switching to EVF is simply too big a step for Canon right now, at least in something like the 200D

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

foo said:
Khalai said:
But follow up question is, why Canon even bothered with OVF in the first place. This camera could do with EVF just fine, eliminating the protruding front bulk of the pentamirror housing. Basicly a merging of M5 and 100D with native EF/EF-S mount :)

Perhaps that's one of those cost compromises.. does an EVF cost more than a pentamirror ?

I'd not be surprised if removing the mirrorbox and switching to EVF is simply too big a step for Canon right now, at least in something like the 200D

Maybe Canon is trying to find a niche for the SL2 with people who want small and simple but aren't ready to give up the OVR. Somehow putting out a EVF camera with an EF-S mount seems wierd to me. Why not make it an M model and give it an EF-M mount? I'm wondering what price point the SL2 will be at. If it has 9 point AF, and mostly menu driven controls, maybe the price will be pretty low.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

Dvash7 said:
Maximilian said:
Dvash7 said:
Quick question. ...

How do you think this will this stack up against the 7D in terms of IQ, ISO noise, AF capabilities?
IQ, ISO noise should be noticeably better because of new sensor and image processor. At least one step. If ISO 800 was fine on your 7D, now 1600 should do the job.
AF capabilities? Good question. As you can read above, we have the fear that'll get the (5 year old) 9 point AF of the 700D/T5i. This would be a big step back compared to your 7D. If it gets the latest AF of the 800D/T7i or at least the 19 point af of the 70D that would be rather fine.

Wait and hope for the AF specs next week... :-\

Thanks, I might just have to compromise on the AF front if all else is equal and/or better.
Otherwise take a look at the 800D/T7i as a backup body. A little bit bigger and heavier but up-to-date consumer AF.
And if the 200D/SL2 gets the same or similar AF system I suppose it will be more expensive as you'll have to pay for the smaller size.

To me an outdated 9 point (even all cross) sensor AF system would be the dealbreaker.
I'd even take the same old sensor of the SL1 (although very outdated as well) if I get a modern (consumer) AF system. this is the major downside of my 100D.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

foo said:
Don Haines said:

That's just because Canon is using the old sensor/mirror/AF system here.
And they want people to see a big step in IQ when they get to the more expensive consumer DSLRs.

Maybe there's some hope for the 200D though as it seems to have had a bump from 18Mpix to 24Mpix.
My hope is (still) that Canon will reuse the full 800D/T7i sensor/mirror/AF system to lower production cost by reusing parts. putting the 24 MP sensor together with an old AF system would add development and production costs.

That was my guess, too. (see above)
Just a mockup/photoshopped thing for marketing purposes.

Upvote 0

LonelyBoy said:
foo said:
Secondly, is this camera simply not aimed at the vocal folks here who want 300 AF points, 20fps stills, 8K video @ 240fps, dual slots, 18 stops DR and a kitchen sink - all for $300 ?

All I wanted was a mini T7i, but thanks for mischaracterizing my point.

Wasn't at all suggesting that was you, or anyone else in particular... just that this camera probably isn't aimed at the folks who hang out here. I know I won't buy one as it simply doesn't appeal to me.

Upvote 0

BillB said:
foo said:
Khalai said:

Maybe Canon is trying to find a niche for the SL2 with people who want small and simple but aren't ready to give up the OVR.

That's my niche exactly.

Upvote 0

BillB said:
Maybe Canon is trying to find a niche for the SL2 with people who want small and simple but aren't ready to give up the OVR. Somehow putting out a EVF camera with an EF-S mount seems wierd to me. Why not make it an M model and give it an EF-M mount? I'm wondering what price point the SL2 will be at. If it has 9 point AF, and mostly menu driven controls, maybe the price will be pretty low.

Yup. For a while last year people were saying the Ms had "replaced" the SL1. Other than with the 22/2, I have no interest in the Ms, so I'm glad they're not giving up on small EF-S mount cameras.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

foo said:
rs said:
It looks like the same old 9 point AF system, if what's viewable in the mirror from that front view is anything to go by:

Right now, I'd not read too much into that. If you look at the 5DIV box there's a disclaimer saying 'all images are simulated'. I'd not be all that surprised if that's the case here as well.

That was one of my first thoughts as well. Hopefully that is the case and we do see a DPAF, 19 pt system, which I think is an excellent one.

Upvote 0

figaro28 said:
BillB said:
foo said:
Khalai said:

Maybe Canon is trying to find a niche for the SL2 with people who want small and simple but aren't ready to give up the OVR.

That's my niche exactly.

Same. I would be in the market for an SL2 except I already have an SL1.

I find the OVF and ergonomics to be good. Better than any mirrorless camera I've tried. Certainly better than any mirrorless camera that costs $200 or whatever I paid for the SL1. HUGE improvement over the EOS M. Far better AF.

Upvote 0

Right now in stock one can get a refurb Rebel SL1 EF-S 18-55mm IS STM & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Kit Refurbished for $329 with 50 dollars in saving, whatever that means. I'd prefer the 55-250 stm lens to the 300, but this is a kick ass deal. In the past I've liked these deals so well I've bought three of them daughter GF, and hisself.

Can't wait for the equivalent deal on the sl2. I think the autofocus will be more improved than we think based on the nine point sleuthing.

Oh yeah here: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/rebel-sl1-ef-s-18-55mm-is-stm-ef-75-300mm-stm-kit-refurbished

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Luds34 said:
foo said:
rs said:

That was one of my first thoughts as well. Hopefully that is the case and we do see a DPAF, 19 pt system, which I think is an excellent one.

if we get the 9 point system as people have pointed out, i'm not sure we get the DPAF sensor. I wouldn't be surprised to see the old 24MP sensor in there.

Upvote 0