This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X9

Re: This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X8

Luds34 said:
YuengLinger said:
I'm too spoiled by AFMA to buy a camera without it now. Which means mirrorless to go small, I know. Maybe in a few more generations, Canon will catch up with FUJISONYOLYMPUS in that line? ::)

Seriously, is it that much smaller than the 80D to trade away features?

I tend to agree. If I want small/light/travel (and especially at a crop size sensor) I think that today mirrorless is the way to go. Also, Canon's EF-S lens lineup leaves a bit to be desired (lack of wide angle primes is a huge gap).

I shoot too much fast glass to lose AFMA as well at this point in my photography life.

This isn't made for fast glass - this is made for the 18-135 STM and sitting in the center console of your car for opportunistic shots. Or whatever. And some of us aren't impressed with (at least current) EVFs or LV. I'll use my fast glass with my 5D3.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011

Luds34 said:
The 15-85 was a great "cover a little bit of everything" lens when I owned it. However, it was not a terribly small lens. I'd think that would just not balance well on this small of a camera.

You're right, it's definitely not a small lens. And yes, it defeats the purpose of the small SL1 body a little. On the other hand, it saves me dragging around possibly two lenses, and as my other camera is a 5DIV with grip and L lenses, it's still relatively light and small to me. Is there anything in that zoom range-ish that is smaller and decent quality?

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

LonelyBoy said:
Luds34 said:
YuengLinger said:
I'm too spoiled by AFMA to buy a camera without it now. Which means mirrorless to go small, I know. Maybe in a few more generations, Canon will catch up with FUJISONYOLYMPUS in that line? ::)

I tend to agree. If I want small/light/travel (and especially at a crop size sensor) I think that today mirrorless is the way to go. Also, Canon's EF-S lens lineup leaves a bit to be desired (lack of wide angle primes is a huge gap).

I shoot too much fast glass to lose AFMA as well at this point in my photography life.

This isn't made for fast glass - this is made for the 18-135 STM and sitting in the center console of your car for opportunistic shots. Or whatever. And some of us aren't impressed with (at least current) EVFs or LV. I'll use my fast glass with my 5D3.

Are you speaking from experience or just keyboard warrioring it at this point? Because once you throw in the 18-135 you have basically nullified the existence of this camera as a Rebel is hardly any bigger and is small compared to that large zoom lens. A few years ago I captured a nice long weekend in NYC with a T4i and an 18-135. It was a great kit. But I can assure you at no point did I ever feel that "only if" the camera was smaller "I'd be good".

A bit of a rhetorical question, but I have to ask how often some of you shoot what you preach. If the point of the SL1/SL2 is ultimate small form factor then attaching a large zoom lens has completely defeated that purpose. You pair the "ultimate smallest DSLR" with equally fitting/balancing lenses... aka primes.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

michi said:
Luds34 said:
The 15-85 was a great "cover a little bit of everything" lens when I owned it. However, it was not a terribly small lens. I'd think that would just not balance well on this small of a camera.

You're right, it's definitely not a small lens. And yes, it defeats the purpose of the small SL1 body a little. On the other hand, it saves me dragging around possibly two lenses, and as my other camera is a 5DIV with grip and L lenses, it's still relatively light and small to me. Is there anything in that zoom range-ish that is smaller and decent quality?

+1 and I hear ya.

I rarely used the lens as most trips I enjoyed the flexibility to pack a number of lenses that did what they did "best". However I used the 15-85 on a handful of occasions with both a T2i and 70D in which I was going for max versatility with smallest possible kit, aka one lens.

In short, the 15-85 probably doesn't balance all that great on an SL body, however that is about as good as one can get maximizing IQ (crop sensor is pretty awesome) in a small kit while allowing maximum flexibility in focal length.

Upvote 0

Luds34 said:
michi said:
Luds34 said:

+1 and I hear ya.

I rarely used the lens as most trips I enjoyed the flexibility to pack a number of lenses that did what they did "best". However I used the 15-85 on a handful of occasions with both a T2i and 70D in which I was going for max versatility with smallest possible kit, aka one lens.

In short, the 15-85 probably doesn't balance all that great on an SL body, however that is about as good as one can get maximizing IQ (crop sensor is pretty awesome) in a small kit while allowing maximum flexibility in focal length.

I loved my 15-85 (and had the 17-85 before it until it broke) and used it as my standard everyday lens on my 700D, but I've recently replaced it with the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.0 - had a chance to play with one and almost immediately decided to get it after feeling how much lighter and smaller it was than the 15-85. The slight speed gain didn't hurt either (the reduced zoom range is mildly annoying, but with the weight saving I can live with it). Haven't used it with my 100D yet - typically use a 18-135 when I'm carrying that - but it would definitely make a great small combo.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

ahsanford said:
Luds34 said:
YuengLinger said:

+1

Small DOF / large aperture needs --> how do I hold that weight with a dainty grip --> get a bigger rig with a chunkier grip.

For that reason, as capable as this rig might turn out to be, this is a backup / travel / hiking camera to me. It may be gold for travel folks, vloggers, non-camera-owning folks scared of how 'big' Rebels are, etc. as a primary rig, but for so many other realms of photography, I just think it would handcuff too many users.

I'm sure it will sell well, don't get me wrong. I just don't see avid photographers retiring their 80D, 7D2 or 6D1 and using an SL1 or SL2 as a primary daily driver.

- A

Back around 2013 I had a 5D2 for nearly a year, eventually giving it up to use the 1100D permanently (yes I'm still shooting 12MP, IQ from the 400f5.6 is geting sandbagged so badly by that sensor).
Even shooting BIF (especially shooting BIF), I couldn't see any justification for owning the larger (cumbersome) body. The 5D had faster AF, yes, but even the weakest Rebel on the market at the time was (is) quite competent with a 400f5.6.
For me, this SL2 is practically going to feel like getting a 1D.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
ahsanford said:
Holy balls -- they got a tilty-flippy on a tiny SL# body?!

Was that expected? Presume that means DPAF is onboard as well.

- A

That is a surprise. Vari-angle touch screen, smaller, lighter, and probably cheaper than the T7i.

it won't be cheaper. the SL1 was originally a pretty pricy camera at 799 body + 18-55

Ok, in which case I'd opt for the T7i, which is already quite light weight, unless there's some other advantage of the SL2

Just size really.

Please if you can guide me on the advantages of T7i over SL2 pls. I am thinking of getting a crop camera and wondering which one.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010

The tiny array of AF points on the SL1 was the primary reason for selling mine. It was a primarily a travel body for a couple of trips into South East Asia which involved a lot of trekking. Accustomed to 1-Series and 5DIII/IV the AF was just too frustrating. It reminded me of my prehistoric 20D. But if this baby has 45AF points with a healthy dose of cross-type goodness I'll likely dive into Lilliputian SL land again.

-pw

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014

This is a nice little camera. I like Canons rather conservative Design concept. Nothing changed considerably compared to my old 550D, one would feel at once familiar with this Body, but have surely a lot of technical improvements. Well done doomed Canon!

Upvote 0

Pippan said:
aka pancakes ...

I use my 100D for travel, coupled with the EF-S 24/2.8, it's the perfect lightweight combo, but I'll sometimes travel with one other lens (typically 135/2). Having only taken the 1DX away a couple of times, I don't think this is an option to repeat for an enjoyable family holiday.

I'm looking forward to the 200D, only for the AF points. Anything that makes it bigger, detracts from the whole purpose of having this camera (type).

Having previously owned the 6D (twice), I'll, wait for the reviews and, probably go back to using this.

I will have to sell my vast range of EF-S lenses...
... oh it's just the 24

But I will miss the option of the 1.6 crop.

In any case, looking forward to next week, and the next two month's of reviews that will follow.

Upvote 0

Luds34 said:
Are you speaking from experience or just keyboard warrioring it at this point? Because once you throw in the 18-135 you have basically nullified the existence of this camera as a Rebel is hardly any bigger and is small compared to that large zoom lens. A few years ago I captured a nice long weekend in NYC with a T4i and an 18-135. It was a great kit. But I can assure you at no point did I ever feel that "only if" the camera was smaller "I'd be good".

A bit of a rhetorical question, but I have to ask how often some of you shoot what you preach. If the point of the SL1/SL2 is ultimate small form factor then attaching a large zoom lens has completely defeated that purpose. You pair the "ultimate smallest DSLR" with equally fitting/balancing lenses... aka primes.

Given the aggression of your post, calling me the keyboard warrior is funny.

I used my SL1 a ton with my 18-135 STM. The package is still smaller and lighter than that lens with an 80D or 7D2. Maybe you don't have a use for the combo, but I can almost guarantee that most SL1s were, and most SL2s will be, shot with slow zooms. I did use the pancakes, but not nearly exclusively.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

LonelyBoy said:
Luds34 said:

Given the aggression of your post, calling me the keyboard warrior is funny.

I used my SL1 a ton with my 18-135 STM. The package is still smaller and lighter than that lens with an 80D or 7D2. Maybe you don't have a use for the combo, but I can almost guarantee that most SL1s were, and most SL2s will be, shot with slow zooms. I did use the pancakes, but not nearly exclusively.

Haha, I apologize, that was a little snarky, aggressive. :)

Honestly what triggered me was in your original post said something about fast glass is NOT for EF-S and fast glass was for your 5D3. There are a lot of folks that want, expect fast glass on APS-C cameras. Some of us have been frustrated by Canon's lack of love in this area and frankly that is what pushed me to look at other systems to fill that compact/travel kit.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

Pippan said:
Luds34 said:
You pair the "ultimate smallest DSLR" with equally fitting/balancing lenses... aka primes.
aka pancakes ...

Touché.

When I still owned a Rebel, I had the EF-S 24mm pancake attached to that thing constantly. It was kind the camera I always had in trunk of my car.

I've now long since unloaded all of my EF-S glass but sometimes wonder if I should have held on to that 24mm, in case I ever scooped up an SL1 (or future SL) on the cheap.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK

It looks like the same old 9 point AF system, if what's viewable in the mirror from that front view is anything to go by:

eosrebelsl2nk-728x403.jpg

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

rs said:
It looks like the same old 9 point AF system, if what's viewable in the mirror from that front view is anything to go by:

Obviously it depends on how one want to use the camera, but if that is indeed true, I can see a number of people being disappointed. The latest Rebel's are packed with 40+ point systems now correct? And last generation Rebel's even have the 19 point system. Which speaking of, I never found the all cross type 19 pt system in the 70D lacking and would be a nice fit in this camera.

Upvote 0