This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X9

Re: This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X8

applecider said:
Right now in stock one can get a refurb Rebel SL1 EF-S 18-55mm IS STM & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Kit Refurbished for $329 with 50 dollars in saving, whatever that means. I'd prefer the 55-20 stm lens to the 300, but this is a kick ass deal. In the past I've liked these deals so well I've bought three of them daughter GF, and hisself.

Can't wait for the equivalent deal on the sl2. I think the autofocus will be more improved than we think based on the nine point sleuthing.

Oh yeah here: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/rebel-sl1-ef-s-18-55mm-is-stm-ef-75-300mm-stm-kit-refurbished

Seems like a good deal! I'm not sure the SL2 will get as cheap very fast. For whatever reason SL1 prices plummeted soon after release, but most dSLRs don't.

On another note, vignetting aside, the 55-250mm STM is a very good lens.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Policar said:
Seems like a good deal! I'm not sure the SL2 will get as cheap very fast. For whatever reason SL1 prices plummeted soon after release, but most dSLRs don't.

I've made that argument as well -- that the SL1 price precipitously dropped and that an SL2 would probably not happen as a result -- but I was making that statement based on CPW price data (attached below), which I believe is a US based pricing tracker.

Others here were quick to point out the SL1 sold very well in Japan, and that interpreting US-only data might not paint an accurate picture for how the product is doing globally. Looks like they were on to something... :)

- A

Attachments

• 04827-Canon-EOS-Rebel-SL1-price-graph.png
    04827-Canon-EOS-Rebel-SL1-price-graph.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 907
Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
Policar said:

I've made that argument as well -- that the SL1 price precipitously dropped and that an SL2 would probably not happen as a result -- but I was making that statement based on CPW price data (attached below), which I believe is a US based pricing tracker.

Others here were quick to point out the SL1 sold very well in Japan, and that interpreting US-only data might not paint an accurate picture for how the product is doing globally. Looks like they were on to something... :)

- A

I point it out every time that chart comes out - the EOS M was also a US flop given away at fire-sale prices. People kept using the SL1's sale prices as justification for why an SL2 wouldn't be made, even though the M went on.

Upvote 0

awair said:
I'm looking forward to the 200D, only for the AF points. Anything that makes it bigger, detracts from the whole purpose of having this camera (type).

In any case, looking forward to next week, and the next two month's of reviews that will follow.

"Nothing to see here, move along..."

Unless it's a copy/paste typo (on the release announcement), 9-points is not worth an upgrade.

For me a disappointment, on the 200D. Mind you, anything feels small after the 1DX. So the decision is now 6D2, 5D3 or 4 as a backup/travel camera? No hurry, I'll make the most of the 100D for the summer, and probably go with the 5 - only so I can stick with CF cards.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011

awair said:
For me a disappointment, on the 200D. Mind you, anything feels small after the 1DX. So the decision is now 6D2, 5D3 or 4 as a backup/travel camera? No hurry, I'll make the most of the 100D for the summer, and probably go with the 5 - only so I can stick with CF cards.

Odd choice of travel camera. You're going from a cheaper APS-C to expensive full format. Why not just get a used 6D as a beater/travel camera? Then you have full format at a affordable price and it still blows the SL1/SL2 out of the water when it comes to image quality. Only thing you'll be missing out on is the small size/weight.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

michi said:
awair said:

Odd choice of travel camera. You're going from a cheaper APS-C to expensive full format. Why not just get a used 6D as a beater/travel camera? Then you have full format at a affordable price and it still blows the SL1/SL2 out of the water when it comes to image quality. Only thing you'll be missing out on is the small size/weight.

+1. For me, the M is the ideal travel camera – it has a high sensor size to body size ratio, the M11-22 lens is excellent and arguably the most useful range for urban travel, and with the mount adapter it's a failure backup for my 1D X that will allow me to use TS-E lenses, etc. I like the M2 so much, the M6 will be in my hands before my next trip.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011

neuroanatomist said:
+1. For me, the M is the ideal travel camera – it has a high sensor size to body size ratio, the M11-22 lens is excellent and arguably the most useful range for urban travel, and with the mount adapter it's a failure backup for my 1D X that will allow me to use TS-E lenses, etc. I like the M2 so much, the M6 will be in my hands before my next trip.

I still have the original M with the kit lens and a EF adapter. Haven't used it in a few years. Are the newer M's much better? AF and image quality? It's somewhat tempting. I just can't decide which way to go for a compact travel camera. I do like my SL1 and 15-85 but it's not small with that lens...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

michi said:
I still have the original M with the kit lens and a EF adapter. Haven't used it in a few years. Are the newer M's much better? AF and image quality? It's somewhat tempting. I just can't decide which way to go for a compact travel camera. I do like my SL1 and 15-85 but it's not small with that lens...

The M5/M6 have a bit better IQ (and 24 vs. 18 MP), and have DPAF for noticeably better AF. I have the M2 only because my M1 died, and Canon USA's prix fixe repair charge for the M was only $20 less than buying a new (and slightly smaller) M2.

The M18-55 kit lens is ok, but just ok. The M11-22 is really a cut above, optically, compared to other crop UWA zooms. I would not get an M5, too big for me. But the M6 keeps the M/M2 form factor, and with the M11-22 fits in a Lowepro Dashpoint 30, whch goes on a belt or in a briefcase.

As a travel kit, the M series is great. For family vacations where the only goal is memories, I now just take the M kit (body, a few lenses, and a 270EX II). I'm considering getting the M18-150 kitted with the M6, it's about the size of the M55-200 and would replace both the M18-55 and M55-200 in my travel kit (meaning I'd likely toss in the M28 Macro for fun).

On trips where I'll have time for recreational photography (often business trips, where I can get out during blue hour), I usually bring my full kit (1D X and 3-4 lenses). But I still bring the M+11-22 – it's small enough that it nestles in my camera backpack next to the lens mounted on the 1D X, so no additional space is taken. However, on a short trip to London last year where I knew I'd have only an hour or so out shooting and I wanted to take only carry-on luggage, the M2+M11-22 and a GorillaPod delivered quite good results at blue hour.

Upvote 0