This is what we know Canon will be announcing for Photokina

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
No new camera this year and Canon will be pretty much screwed this festival/xmas season.
With Sony probably lowering their prices by at least 200 bucks and people probably already preordering the new Nikon next month - Good luck...
I don't know if it's so smart waiting till next year if the mirrorless war is already on and so many pros already switched to Sony cause Canon keeps the rumor machine going since at least 2 years but still has no competeting product against Sony A7II/A7III, also cause the 6D2 was a massive letdown.

Personally, I'm a big Canon fan. But if they don't WANT to make money it's their fault. I'm really tempted to jump on the Sony wagon.

Making profit vs. moving units / gaining share are two very different approaches. Canon has perfected the former (long product lifecycles with well maintained price) while Sony is aggressively pushing the latter (short lifecycles and FF bodies priced to move).

If you believe the company that is bending over backwards investment-wise / product development-wise to get you to buy their camera is a better long-term investment, you should switch to Sony right now. Do it.

I would prefer to see them bending over backwards to support their products and improve the ergonomics/controls/interface, not induce buyer's remorse with constant new offerings that undermine my resale value, etc.

Sony has some compelling horsepower-per-dollar under the hood. But, in a way, that Ferrari handles/drives like s---- and it's not as reliable as my Canon (perhaps Mercedes in this analogy). Until that changes, I wouldn't touch their gear with a ten foot pole.

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
What I don't understand is... why be so unbelievably secretive about FF Mirrorless... given their position vs sony and nikon, wouldn't a "leak" or development announcement be a good thing? I mean, if people knew the camera was coming, surely they would be less likely to jump ship?

Personally, I need something with much better video capabilities than my 6DII and I just like what mirrorless cameras have to offer. I consider switching to sony every day because as far as I can tell... we could very well be nowhere near a FF mirrorless from canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Dead. Canon is dead, as in "They're dead, Jim". Now Sony can plow ahead with the A7III unchallenged. Just makes my decision to get the A7III that much easier.

I thought Sony is about to be challenged seriously by Nikon come August 23? ;)
Rather than going Sony NOW I'd definitely wait a few more days to see more clearly what exactly Nikon's got ... :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm super curious about a Canon FF mirrorless, but I'm confused by some of the responses here.

There is talk of the Christmas season ans losing Pros in one fell swoop. I don't think these things go together. Seems like an updated M5/M6 would be a Christmas hit and that a Full Frame pro setup would be on a separate timeline. Then again, I'm not a pro, so maybe they wait for Christmas sales. Seems unlikely though since it's a business expense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
I've chosen to stay a Canon shooter but I need another body NOW. Choices are: (1) buy a 5D-IV which is great but long-in-the-tooth; or (2) wait for FF ML or new 5DS-II or Leica compact FF ... :confused:

What... Long in the tooth? I don't follow on that sentiment. It's an amazing camera and it takes amazing photos. And syncing it up to my phone and editing using Photoshop express while on the road is amazingly easy.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
What I don't understand is... why be so unbelievably secretive about FF Mirrorless... given their position vs sony and nikon, wouldn't a "leak" or development announcement be a good thing? I mean, if people knew the camera was coming, surely they would be less likely to jump ship?

Personally, I need something with much better video capabilities than my 6DII and I just like what mirrorless cameras have to offer. I consider switching to sony every day because as far as I can tell... we could very well be nowhere near a FF mirrorless from canon.

Unfortunately, that's the sad truth. A development announcement with some specs would be perfect, because it tells us what to expect and whether it will be worth the very...long...wait.

If Canon's not going to bother including uncropped FF 4K with a decent codec for instance- not worth the wait.

Similarly for photographers, it should give them a hint as to whether to expect a new mount or EF.

Upvote 0
I think this is because Canon isn't worried about people jumping ship and this could be because the perceived trend of people jumping ship could be a bit overstated. Maybe Canon thinks the working professionals, who may not necessarily be the vlogging/forum dwelling type, prefer familiarity and reliability to the additional benefits that mirrorless brings them. Maybe they just don't feel that threatened - they are the only ones with Canon's sales data, so they'd be in the best position to judge how big of a risk waiting actually is.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
I'm super curios about a Canon FF mirrorless, but I'm confused by some of the responses here.

There is talk of the Christmas season ans losing Pros in one fell swoop. I don't think these things go together. Seems like an updated M5/M6 would be a Christmas hit and that a Full Frame pro setup would be on a separate timeline. Then again, I'm not a pro, so maybe they wait for Christmas sales. Seems unlikely though since it's a business expense.

A new M5 with weather resistance and uncropped DPAF 4K and a swivel screen would be welcome. I'd have a hard time not picking one up.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Nikon is staring at major mount migration like EF was 30+ years ago. F mount glass will work on this new mirrorless platform... but not all of it.

It vaguely smells like a heckler, far away, shouting 'F mount is going awaaaay', 'F mount is the new Sony A mount', etc.

It's not true in any imminent sense, of course. But it introduces the reality of two mounts, two different lens portfolios, one more thing to think about when loading up for a shoot, etc. and -- critically -- the kernel of doubt that the gear you currently own may need to be sold off to get native mirrorless mount glass and a cleaner/better/higher-performing existence in the new platform.

Canon could be so very tight-lipped on all this for a host of reasons. But an interesting theory is that they are waiting for Nikon to announce a thin mount mirrorless, they will let that uncertainty/unease I mentioned develop, and then they'd drop the hammer with a thin mount FF mirrorless body and a full EF mount mirrorless body: 'EF is here to stay -- period. We may dabble with a few thin-mount smaller lenses, but all that great EF glass is not only 100% compatible on day one, we will continue to maintain the EF portfolio as our #1 highest quality lens family.' That's a compelling message to pros who do. not. give. two. s---s. about their gear taking up an inch less space in their bag than it did last year.

Anyone Nikonians might overreact to a thin mount + adaptor (only) mirrorless option might find such a move from Canon attractive enough to convert.

allyourbasearebelongtous.jpg

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm super curious about a Canon FF mirrorless, but I'm confused by some of the responses here.

Agreed. Full frame cameras don't tend to appear in my house under the Christmas tree - they come into my house under the cover of darkness so as to avoid inevitable conversations on spending habits.

I'd assume working professionals upgrade as they need to - either the current kit stops working or the demands of the job change and no longer fit the current kit.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon's position is that they sell more ILCs than Sony and Nikon combined. Is that what you meant? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Canon's position is that they sell more ILCs than Sony and Nikon combined. Is that what you meant? :rolleyes:

I was thinking more that they 1.) don't have a competitive FF mirrorless (sony), and 2.) they aren't even teasing or hyping one up (nikon).

Overall sales figures aside, I'm not sure ignoring a market segment is a good idea (if that turns out to be what they're doing).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I hope it won't. The 22/2.0 is so small because the whole lens is moved for fucusing. If you add IS it will be a huge retrofocus design. It's also cheaper but i fear it will be expensive anyways. The 22/2 needs much less glass and is already €250.

B.

I think it will be about as big as Sigma's 30 f/1.4 for crop, or about as big as Canon's 35 f/2 IS:
https://www.the-digital-picture.com...Images.aspx?Lens=824&LensComp2=0&LensComp=838

As the 24/28/35 IS lenses showed, IS adds a little weight but doesn't require a large lens to pull off. (But that said, the rumor says this new EF-M 32 f/1.4 will be without IS.)

- A

Upvote 0