This is what we know Canon will be announcing for Photokina

Jul 28, 2015
If Canon really wanted 2 card slots they would have built that in at the start - waiting for response to the Nikon'slack of card slot tells no-one anything more than everyone knew anyway in that some people consider it essential, some do not. If they have designed it with one slot, a few comments on social media will not change that design decision.

And you make it sound like adding eye AF is something you wake up one morning and decide to add it. People have managed for decades without it, and although it would be great to have it is not one of those make-or-break decisions to delay one of the most anticipated announcements for Canon in years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Oh, agreed. But the point remains – Canon, no new FF, Nikon, one unavailable new FF, Sony 2 new FF. Easy to claim victory when no other teams show up at the match. Educated forum members see that for the hollow (local and likely transient) victory that it is. ;)

1. Just admit all you Canon Defense Leaguers - you would have called me really bad names, had I said Sony would ever be #1 in FF ILCs in the US for any half year.
2. I think Sony will very likely also be #1 in FF ILCs for full year 2018.
3. If Nikon can deliver sufficient numbers of Z6/Z7 mirrorfree cameras to the US before end of 2018, I think they will be #2 for FF ILCs. ANd Canon #3.
So well deserved, stupid errrm "innovative" Canon.
:)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
And you make it sound like adding eye AF is something you wake up one morning and decide to add it. People have managed for decades without it, and although it would be great to have it is not one of those make-or-break decisions to delay one of the most anticipated announcements for Canon in years.
well to be fair canon is already exploring / augmenting AF with eye detection, as they just started to do that in the EOS-M50.
As DiGiC's get faster and faster, I would imagine more AF options will be available.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
1. Just admit all you Canon Defense Leaguers - you would have called me really bad names, had I said Sony would ever be #1 in FF ILCs in the US for any half year.
3. If Nikon can deliver sufficient numbers of Z6/Z7 mirrorfree cameras to the US before end of 2018, I think they will be #2 for FF ILCs. ANd Canon #3.
who really cares about a small segment of the ILC marketplace? in a market that only makes up 20% of the overall market? when you start to look that detailed, dramatic shifts are to be expected.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
If the extra wait means two card slots and efficient Eye-AF, then I have no problem waiting another year. The Nikon Z release with only one card slot and no Eye AF sounds like a textbook failure of epic proportions.
only for spec sheet watchers.

I'm sure the Z bodies will do well, they have nikon ergonomics, and like canon, nikon has a huge huge huge customer base to draw from. the only question with respects to nikon is that they always seem to have delivery issues in getting cameras out the door (or lenses as well at times) which create huge problems with massive backorders.

Upvote 0
I may finally jump ship this year. I've already sold my 5D3, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 16-35 f/2.8 II, and 50 f/1.4. I'm just using a T7i, 77D, M3, M6 and assorted lenses for the time being. I miss the full frame but I've been holding out for news from Canon on a possible new FF mirrorless.
Jumping to Nikon or Sony won't be too hard at this point.

don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Upvote 0

sure, canon have no clue what they are doing, that is why the last 13 years running they have sold the most cameras each year. get a life buddy.

Upvote 0
I decided to take a time tunnel approach to Canon, traveled back to Canon's ML age and got two mirrorless Canon 7 bodies plus three original Canon rangefinder lenses. Canon's RF 1.4/50mm lens from early 60s e. g. does not need any upgrade. Great gear for having fun in the street, you simply shoot even without chimping on LCD screens - it's all about imagination. You can have even more fun when you enter a fancy Leica shop with that gear and ask for a fitting lens cap. And the best thing about this gear is: you can't vlog! It protects you from making yourself one of those clowns flooding all channels with their brainless blah blah.

Some people belong in the past ... enjoy.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't have called you bad names, but I wouldn't call myself a "Canon Defence Leaguer" either. It makes no difference to me who is in the lead - I'm happy with my equipment and use it regularly. In fact, I think it is possible that Sony holds that title all year depending on what happens in the next few months.

My comments here are entirely based on what we know right now and what recorded history has told us. Considering that the title for most FF sales over the last 12 months seems to have been attached to who releases more cameras, it would stand to reason that with Nikon releasing 2 full frame cameras at once in the near future they could certainly take the first overall in full frame depending on when these cameras to market. If they can get these things on store shelves, they should have a good opportunity to take the lead. That could, however, be complicated if Sony releases the a7Siii soon, then both companies would have fresh releases.

Canon, on the other hand, doesn't appear to have any FF cameras in the pipeline for 2018, so I would suspect that they won't hold first for full frame in 2018. As soon as they release another full frame camera (2019 maybe?), I'd bet on them to re-take the lead. Again, this is a good sound byte for Sony, and it is certainly an achievement for them, but I don't think it is indicative of a monumental shift in the industry - at least not yet. It could certainly happen, but we need longer term data to be sure.

None of this, however, impacts my impression of my gear. I love my 5D IV and I can honesty say I wouldn't trade it for any camera on the market. It works for my needs, and I don't think I can blame my gear for any lost images at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
hehe, Canons inability to deliver mirrorfree FF system buys Sony another year of market leadership in FF ILC in the USA, probably also in Asia and maybe even in Europe.

In Europe Sony's biggest problem is not product specs or perception, but lacking presence in sales channels [for FF ILCs] - they simply are under represented, both in online shops as well as in the remaining, hi-end brick&mortar stores. In Central Europe Sony tried sort of an Apple approach with mainly "flagship stores" in major cities, but it has not worked for them. Sony brand name does not have sufficient cachet any longer.

CaNikon's luck, otherwise ... doomed. :)

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
a 5D IV without mirror (but good EVF) could actually be a compelling product.
I wholeheartedly agree AND I want to remain a Canon person. I love CPS and the community.
I really want the mirrorless 5D-IV and hope that the announcement is both soon and not disappointing.
This might sound like blasphemy but I just placed an order for the Nikon Z-6 with 24~70 f/4, F adapter, two (expensive) XQD cards plus reader.
24 mp is plenty and priced at $3,100 -- hard to beat. Delivery in November.
If our mirrorless 5D-IV is announced and measures up, I will place a first day order -- no doubts at all. And cancel the Z-6 order.
Let's hope that I cancel the Nikon...!

Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
The prices of grey market goods in the US are not based on avoiding VAT.

The U.S. has no VAT nor any other form of national sales/consumption tax. All sales taxes are assessed at the state and local level and vary greatly, but it is rare for the rate to be greater than 10% anywhere. Some places they are much less. When ordering from an online seller that does not have a physical presence in the state to which the item is being delivered, there is very often zero sales tax on the item at all.

Unfortunately, it's happening less and less often. New rules are in place that charges the buyer's state/local sales taxes even on internet sales... :(

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
(Disclaimer: I have no information who produces the Nikon MILC sensor or in-body stabilization but would be -very- surprised if it was Nikon)

I think most would believe this Z7 Nikon sensor is either the same one in the D850 or heavily based upon it. 45 MP x 9 fps in two different cameras screams out 'reused componentry', right?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I wholeheartedly agree AND I want to remain a Canon person. I love CPS and the community.
I really want the mirrorless 5D-IV and hope that the announcement is both soon and not disappointing.
This might sound like blasphemy but I just placed an order for the Nikon Z-6 with 24~70 f/4, F adapter, two (expensive) XQD cards plus reader.
24 mp is plenty and priced at $3,100 -- hard to beat. Delivery in November.
If our mirrorless 5D-IV is announced and measures up, I will place a first day order -- no doubts at all. And cancel the Z-6 order.
Let's hope that I cancel the Nikon...!

Whoa. So all of these Z6 limitations are okay to you?
  • Single card
  • 12 fps is only possible with compressed RAW and locked exposure. Only 9 fps with uncompressed RAW (and exposure may still be locked, we don't know).
  • (Z7 info, not confirmed on Z6 -->) -3EV AF sensitivity may only be possible with f/2 or faster lenses, i.e. possibly only with primes
  • Only -2 EV AF sensitivity unless in 'low light mode' and we don't know what / how that works, what glass can use that, etc.
  • 330 shots per charge
  • IBIS is somewhat limited with the adaptor (wasn't sure if it was only 3 stops with adapted glass or only 3 axes of control)
I hope you like it, but we don't even have the manual yet to really see what we're getting. It would appear this camera feels a lot more like the A7 I and II models with respect to fine print than the III models. Caveat emptor!

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0