This is what we know Canon will be announcing for Photokina

Jul 21, 2010
Yeah, but educated forum dwellers also know that Canon would not be making any FF MILC moves at all if it weren’t for Sony’s success ;)
Not necessarily. For a company that makes both APS-C and FF DSLR's, and more recently launched what has become a very popular and profitable line of APS -C MILCs, a FF MILC is a very logical evolution. Sony's success in that market subsegment may have caused Canon to accelerate their timeline, but I highly doubt that Sony's recent success is the reason Canon started working on developing a FF MILC. Nor was Sony the main driver for the EOS M, since prior to that time both Olympus and Panasonic had more of the MILC market than Sony.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
It is a very good bet that Canon has known for quite a while what the competition is coming out with, and an equally good bet that they are at least 4 years into the developement of their mirrorless FF camera. I rather doubt that they are jiggling time lines because of the competition..... if their camera is better, they want it out now to dissuade people from going elsewhere, if it is worse, the want it out now because of the embarrassment of releasing an inferior camera after the competition releases a better one.

Odds are, they are either finalizing the software and getting the last bugs out before the big announcement, at which point production starts, or production has already started and the announcement is imminent

I recently came across one rumor from late 2015 saying that the release of Canon's MILC was delayed due to as-then unspecified technological issues. So maybe (just maybe) they had some hurdles to overcome and tested them out in the M5/6/50 cameras?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I don't expect Canon's 1st FF mirrorless to be any better than Nikon Zs. Period!!!

It really doesn't have to be. As long as it is just as good, or a mixed bag - better in some ways, not as good in others - those already invested in the Canon ecosystem of lenses and flashes will more likely go with the Canon product.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I recently came across one rumor from late 2015 saying that the release of Canon's MILC was delayed due to as-then unspecified technological issues. So maybe (just maybe) they had some hurdles to overcome and tested them out in the M5/6/50 cameras?

Yes....

DPAF is fairly mature now and beats the competition..... is it time for QPAF?

Just imagine the impact Canon would have on the industry if it released a QPAF camera with hybrid IBIS/OS stabilization!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Unfortunately, it's happening less and less often. New rules are in place that charges the buyer's state/local sales taxes even on internet sales... :(

True, but it is rarely more than 10% and it is a state/local tax, not a national VAT or consumption tax. Up to 10% sales tax does not explain a 15-20-25% difference in the price of gray market goods compared to authorized sellers of the same products in the U.S. That's what the comment to which I was replying suggested.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I wholeheartedly agree AND I want to remain a Canon person. I love CPS and the community.
I really want the mirrorless 5D-IV and hope that the announcement is both soon and not disappointing.
This might sound like blasphemy but I just placed an order for the Nikon Z-6 with 24~70 f/4, F adapter, two (expensive) XQD cards plus reader.
24 mp is plenty and priced at $3,100 -- hard to beat. Delivery in November.
If our mirrorless 5D-IV is announced and measures up, I will place a first day order -- no doubts at all. And cancel the Z-6 order.
Let's hope that I cancel the Nikon...!

The Nikon MILCs surely look attractive. I'd call for caution, tough - A couple of years from now, CaNikon are likely head-to-head independent how these first releases look like. Then, the Nikon MILCs are also nice products (as are Nikon DSLR). Tough one.

Upvote 0