Thoughts on 430EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the matter of multi-flash operation of the Speedlite 430EX, I posted an inquiry on another forum directed to the attention of Chuck Westfall of Canon USA, their Technical Advisor.

From Doug

The Canon Speedlite 430EX is not shown by its manual as providing a multi-flash (so-called "stroboscopic") mode on a "local" basis. However, the manual (p. 27) indicates that this mode may in fact be utilized when using the flash unit as a slave in a Canon wireless flash network with all "Type A" bodies and most "Type B" ("TTL") bodies.

Is this in fact true?

From Chuck:

Yes. It requires a master unit that supports MULTI flash, such as the 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX, or the EOS 7D's built-in flash. (PS: The 60D and T3i built-in flash units can be used as master units, but they do not support MULTI flash.)

From Doug:

In another forum it was commented by one correspondent that the multi-flash ("stroboscopic") mode could be invoked (via the camera flash control menu) when the 430EX was used on an EOS 7D body, but not when used on an EOS 5D Mark II.

Is there in fact ever the opportunity to invoke multi-flash operation of the 430EX (other than perhaps as a slave unit in wireless flash network operation)? If so, in connection with which EOS bodies?

From Chuck:

The only way to achieve multi-flash operation with a 430EX or 430EX II is through use as a slave unit in a wireless flash configuration controlled by one of the eligible master units listed above.

Best regards,

Doug

Upvote 0
Chuck Westfall of Canon USA has recently advised of a correction to his original summary of the circumstances in which the Speedlite 430EX (and 430EX II) flash units may operate in the multi-flash ("stroboscopic") mode.

He had originally said that the units could operate in that mode only when operating as a slave and the master is a Speedlite 550EX, 580EX, or 580EX II or the onboard flash unit of an EOS 7D.

He now advises that he has determined that in fact the multi-flash mode cannot be utilized by way of the onboard flash unit of an EOS 7D as a master. When that facility is set to the multi-flash mode, its operation as a master is disabled.

Thus, the Speedlite 430EX (or 430EX II) can only operate in the multi-flash mode when operating as a slave and the master is a Speedlite 550EX, 580EX, or 580EX II.

Again, to avert any misunderstanding, the 430EX (or 430EX II) apparently cannot provide the multi-flash mode when being directly operated from any camera, whether or not that camera provides for setting the associated flash.

Chuck's recent notice is here:

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/canon-1-series-digital-slr-eos-5d/96337-speedlite-430ex-multi-flash-mode-chuck-2.html#post488749

Best regards,

Doug

Upvote 0

K3nt

"No good photo goes unnoticed!"
Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
Just wanted to add a little of my own un-worthiness. I have a 430EX II that I use with my 7D. I love it. I really haven't tried the 580 so I can't say how much better that is, but 430 flimsy? I don't find anything flimsy about it. Could the one who stated that please elaborate?
My guess is that the 580 must be built like a tank to improve in build quality over the 430... ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.