Thoughts on the Canon EOS R roadmap

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Almost immediately after the announcement of the Canon EOS R camera and RF mount, Canonites and others were already wanting what was coming next.
Now, the Canon Rumors community likely qualifies as a fairly advanced camera consumer. Unfortunately, the Canon Rumors community isn’t the majority of Canon camera buyers and I think enthusiasts can lose track of that from time-to-time, it’s not a slight, it’s just a reality of the camera business.
A great source and I had a conversation recently about the future of the EOS R system, and mostly about what camera(s) to expect next. The source simply lead the conversation with “follow the money”.
And what does that mean?

//macphun.evyy.net/i/260424/567713/3255
Simply, do not expect any sort of “niche” or “professional” mirrorless cameras prior to the release of more “entry level” products. A $4000+ camera simply doesn’t move anywhere near the volume that a sub $1500...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mar 25, 2011
Thats why many were puzzled with the first lenses to be announced, a mid level camera needs mid level lenses, and only the 24-105 L matches the pricing of the camera. The 35mm Macro is aimed at a entry level, but at least would be a reasonable choice for the R. I'd love to have the 50mm f/1.2 or 28-70 f/2, but they really outclass my R.

Fortunately, I adapt my EF lenses quite nicely and will continue to do that as long as I still use a DSLR along with the R. I happened to have a vintage 50mm f/2.5 that is available used for $100 that I like for the R, its small, light, and reasonably good. My big and heavy "L" lenses don't balance the camera well, particularly with the adapter.

I plan to get the control ring adapter before long.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
This makes total sense, and probably delays any hope of the 24-70 f2.8 IS that I want to see...

I'm betting we'll see a RF 24-105 3.5-5.6 IS kit lens with the release of the lower-spec'd body, or 18-55 IS and 18-135 IS if it's APS-C.

The RF system also needs some kind of telephoto zoom. I'm sure the EF 70-300mm IS II USM could easily be converted (if nothing else, just a mount swap). That would fall into the right price range for enthusiasts. 70-200mm 2.8/4 obviously need to come out eventually for the pros.

I also think we should see some cheaper primes, maybe a 50mm 1.8 and 24mm 2.8. 35mm is probably covered right now by the macro lens, even though it's pretty expensive ($499) for an entry-level lens

What else? Portrait prime? Wide-angle zoom?

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I don't expect a 1D-X class mirrorless anytime too soon, but a rather slow
50 MP 5Ds/R model shouldn't be too much work for Canon.

Yes, I do see APS-C on the horizon much sooner as well.
The initial lens line-up set the landmark, telling all noobs
how very professional they can get with RF, and now
cheaper cameras will bring in the harvest.

I am personally not so much interested in RF lenses, as the
filter mount adapter gives me one ring to polarize them all......
... with EF lenses.

What I desperately want is pretty much all in the R, except
for the 5D MkIV ergonomics. That is the point where the R
really sucks.

Upvote 0
Canon's development cycles are quite long - longer than just about anyone else's in the industry. So to have a pro-level set of lenses and a pro-level body come to market at the same time is difficult. A schedule slip of 30 percent (quite common in the tech world) could mean a year's difference.

Launching with $3,000 jaw-dropping lenses and a 6D2-equivalent body sort of seems to suggest this is what happened, especially if the follow-up bodies are lower-end products.

I think it's important for us not to try to rationalize a "successful grand strategy" narrative behind everything Canon does. In point of fact, it doesn't make sense to set expectations of the new R system with 50mm f/1.2 or 28-70 F/2 monsters and then not sell a camera as good as the 5 series. This doesn't mean Canon is doomed, or that it's not trying to come out with a pro body, but it likely means it wished to do so earlier and can't. But it will. When it can. I might even buy one. When a pro body comes out I'll definitely get one. From the signaling we're getting, that'll be a while.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I don't expect a 1D-X class mirrorless anytime too soon, but a rather slow
50 MP 5Ds/R model shouldn't be too much work for Canon.

Yes, I do see APS-C on the horizon much sooner as well.
The initial lens line-up set the landmark, telling all noobs
how very professional they can get with RF, and now
cheaper cameras will bring in the harvest.

I am personally not so much interested in RF lenses, as the
filter mount adapter gives me one ring to polarize them all......
... with EF lenses.

What I desperately want is pretty much all in the R, except
for the 5D MkIV ergonomics. That is the point where the R
really sucks.

Yeah, I could see a high-megapixel 3 fps R series as a landscape/studio rig, sort of like the 5dsr. That's a real pro market, if a slice of it. I see that because it appears Canon *could* do that with its technology, and hasn't evidenced the capability of meeting the other pro markets via its throughput.

Upvote 0
Could someone please explain, how EOS R could be even more lower level? What could be left off? Lower megapixel sensor does not necessarily mean less advanced sensor, right? Or are we talking APS-C EOS R machine here? I thought, that what is coming is lower specced FF body ....

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Could someone please explain, how EOS R could be even more lower level? What could be left off? Lower megapixel sensor does not necessarily mean less advanced sensor, right? Or are we talking APS-C EOS R machine here? I thought, that what is coming is lower specced FF body ....

No card slots, in-body destabilization, no controls other than the touch bar, m43 sensor, max 480p 1fps with 8x crop.

Reactions: 22 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The whole point of launching two stellar lenses (50 and 28-70) with the relatively average EOS R was to signal intentions for the future and to show that Canon still are leaders at lens technology even if they are somewhat runners-up on the sensor and camera technology - for now.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
The whole point of launching two stellar lenses (50 and 28-70) with the relatively average EOS R was to signal intentions for the future and to show that Canon still are leaders at lens technology even if they are somewhat runners-up on the sensor and camera technology - for now.

It could also be a way to build up stock of what are likely to be popular lenses once a more "Pro" R model is released.

But yeah, it was likely easier for Canon to say "we are serious" with lenses (which they have continued to lead on) than with bodies. The good but not "groundbreaking" R + some exceptional lenses seems to have bought Canon a year to (hopefully) finalize sensor and processing improvements that have likely (again... hopefully?) been in the development pipeline for years.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
i dont think an eos r apsc body is likely.

there are no aps-c lenses for the eos r, only full frame lenses. i dont beleve canon will force us to use full frame lenses (which are more expensiv). what are the thoughts of the community on this?

I don't think they will make RF APSC lenses but with the adapter, you can use plenty of lenses. Only having FF RF lenses mean that you have an upgrade path for anyone buying EOS R-APSC. A lower spec body and cheaper sensor will hit a target price point.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
All of these roadmap thoughts sound reasonable.
Canon has to increase the EOS R and RF market and even though I'D like to see an 5D or 1D equivalent, the entry FF and APS-C body really seem to come first.
Hopefully together with some primes of the RF 35 quality and price range. But also here midrange zooms seem to come first.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Seems reasonable that Canon would release upper tier pro-class glass with the mid-range body. All general theories aside, the R is a solid performer in its bracket and having those upper tier lenses draws people to the system. A sort of "look at me, look at what I can do" type of statement.

Canon's way of showing they're serious and also showing what they are planning. That new 50 and the 28-70 are just those kinds of lenses. Real attention getters. Nikon hyped up their cameras in a ridiculous manner for over a month. Canon just came in and dropped their load like a 300lb gorilla.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
I am more interested in what that rumored update would bring to the EOS R than any new camera body releases. Sony & Nikon announced firmware upgrades that would bring new features to their cameras. Fujifilm does that, too. Canon should follow suit.

An RF-mount lens designed for APS-C sensor should physically fit a FF RF camera because the mirror won't get in the way (correct me if I am wrong)

It's interesting to see what Canon will do for the EF-M system? Could they just keep the EF-M cameras as their APS-C mirrorless camera and make an adapter for RF lenses on the EF-M bodies? There was a rumor about something like that two months ago.

That's all I can think of. I personally will jump into full-frame mirrorless once the dust settles on Canon, Nikon & Panasonic's entry.

Upvote 0
i dont think an eos r apsc body is likely.

there are no aps-c lenses for the eos r, only full frame lenses. i dont beleve canon will force us to use full frame lenses (which are more expensiv). what are the thoughts of the community on this?

If you mean that Canon will not release an APS-C R camera because they don't have a APS-C lens like a RF-S... I think that if Canon decided that they need to be in that market, they could easily convert one or two of the existing EF-S designs into a kit lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0