Thoughts on the Canon EOS R roadmap

The lack of IBIS does not make the 50 a waste with the R. It might be more applications where you can shoot with that combo, but what I meant is that you can absolutely get the most out of the 50 when using the R, no other body will make that lens better than the results you get with the R.

Agreed when using a tripod or high shutter speed, but I mainly do hand held low light shooting, and can't achieve 5 stops by just holding the camera more steady, like I could with IBIS.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I agree with those mentioned $3K lenses of this new mount. Unless Canon can show a range of light, compact, and affordable lenses with acceptable quality ...this system would not become everyones.

Hmm. Even if the system transmutated sewage water into unicorn tears, it would not become everyone’s.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Why couldn't Canon build a more compact body instead? I don't need to transmute sewage, so neither should anyone else!
There's always the M for compact. It looks like the R is already decent size and is certainly more compact than my 5D Mark III. I might have to find a local store and hold one to see for myself. Have you held one yet? I need to get out and do that. Below is from Camerasize.com Looks pretty compact to me. I don't see how it can be made much smaller with the FF mount.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Been thinking about this R camera thing and M cameras.
I dont think we never see R mount consumer camera . M is consumer and canon dont want R user photorgraphers to use cheap M lenses on their camera .
To ensure this M flange distance is shorter.
I think canon wants sell only 5k priced bodyes RP sport and Highpixel R5. There wont be anymore low pixel 5 or 6 or 7 cameras,cause they eat profit and increase only design expenses.
Canon eos R vanishes from production after they release eos RP. it was meant just temporary 0 camera to prevent peoples escaping to nikon z
RP is P cause there can be only one 1,untill mirrorless autofocus is better

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Hmm. Even if the system transmutated sewage water into unicorn tears, it would not become everyone’s.

You are right.
Perhaps the person wanting something small and light with interchangeable lenses would be drawn to the M system. I know I am and am saving to get the next iteration of the M5. The 7D and L lenses are great but at times are heavy for snapshots around the house and other occasions. Also it is less intimidating. Not everyone needs a full blown and pro featured camera.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I think they should change whole viewfinder consept on cameras .
Viewfinder should be moved to left corner so you can get better vision for left eye .
There would be old fashioned mechanical cross hair aimer for left eye to center camera.
you know how difficult its aim flying bird with long tube.if you dont get it immediately to view ,then you need check with other eye where it went.
Electrical viewfinder for right eye would be just 1000 pixel one to show profile lines for composition and AF red dots .
You dont really need see all details or colors to take photograph .All that is away from shooting speed .and photoediting speed
Like two different viewfinder mode ,normal mode and low resolution sketch mode ,would be nice option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0